Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Question CPM Overload Error 6101 on Pro Tools LE v8

Greetings... I'm a newbie to this site (and to Pro Tools as a user), so perhaps this is answered elsewhere, but the good folks at Guitar Center where I purchased my software/hardware recently couldn't answer this and suggested this user forum, so here goes nothing:

I just purchased a whole setup including a MacBook Pro (2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3) and Pro Tool LE v8 with the Mbox 2 Pro. I'm a singer/songwriter, so the two sessions I've created have, at most, 4 or 5 tracks as I begin to learn my way around the system. One session, in particular, has two tracks and zero plugins (unless you count my click track as a plugin). In any case, I started getting this error message (-6101) on playback/recording that just halts any further playback/recording. Admittedly, I haven't set up my external hard drive yet (doh), but the computer is new, there is plenty of storage space, and from what I can tell, the platform is pretty tricked out and should operate well with this version of Pro Tools LE v8. Now, I presume this is a user error on my part and that there's some sort of basic configuration thing I can easily fix, but I can't figure out what it is. I've tried increasing the H/W Buffer Size as high as 1024, but that doesn't seem to help. I'm also not running ANY plugins in my current session, so I should be good to go, right? I'd like to get this thing up and running again so I can get these new tunes on tape (errr, on drive?).

Someone please help, if you can.... Thanks so much!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 AM

Default Re: CPM Overload Error 6101 on Pro Tools LE v8

Read the "read this first" sticky post that suggests a lot of things to do. One thin in particular, all the plugins *have* to be of a compatible version, even if you never use them. Pro Tools loads everything on startup wether you use them or not, and an incompatible version will mess something up.

IK Multimedia plugins, like AmpliTube DUO, Ampeg etc. seem to cause a lot of 6101-errors even if they claim to be compatible; Removing them made all the difference for me. Try the SansAmp plugin instead (Eleven is very very resource-hungry).

Look for a "support folder" (a file package) somewhere in the support pages, it contains a small program to help you list the plug-in versions. Run it while Pro Tools is running, and make sure the output file does *not* exist before you run it (a text file at the desktop).

Using the internal disk should work OK for small projects, if everything else is OK, but an external drive is recommended anyway.

As for other things you could do: make sure you've done every step in
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193636

BR, Robert
Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that today... very much appreciated. - Chi
Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Hey there. Looks as though all my plugins are up to date versions based on the online comparison chart. The only thing that looks remotely close to one of the problem plugins you mentioned was Eleven Free.dpm. Is this the same as the Eleven that you referenced? Do you think I ought to remove this? I'm not sure what it even does, yet! Otherwise, I've followed everything else suggested in that first sticky and that thread and I'm still having this issue witht he 6101 Error. Perhaps my troubles will be solved by using that external Hard Drive. I'll try that next. I am admittedly not the most tech-savvy person out there, but I kind of thought Pro Tools would simply just "work" right off the bat. However, I'm sure like anything else, good things come to those who wait (or at least try to work around a problem). Many thanks!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Most of the provided literature is crawling with warnings like:

'whatever you do, don't try and run ProTools sessions directly to your hard disc'.

If you hooked up an external 7200 F/W drive and ran sessions from it, 90% of your problems will disappear.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 AM

Yes, I meant Eleven Free. You don't need to remove that, but you may experience overloads if you use it, because it is quite a resource hog.

Eleven Free, as well as Amplitube and SansAmp are virtual guitar/bass amplifiers, you can plug in your guitar directly into the box.

I've heard from some sources that they still stick with 7.4 for now, because they wait for a "8.1" to be more stable. I bought my Mbox 2 mini at a time when 7.4.3 was included, but allowed a free 8.0 upgrade, so I can have either way.

One thing I also did at install time, was I declined the installation of the coreaudio driver. If I understood correctly, it would allow other programs to output audio to the Digi box, but somewhere in the forums somebody claimed that it isn't even supported. You may want to go without this driver, just to try.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Hi there,
Coming over from the PC forum.....
There are many of us on the PC platform having SEVERE cpu overloading problems with PT8.
It all is linked to high cpu usage for just drawing the edit and/or mix windows.
Try opening the mac equivalent of Task Manager and watching cpu usage as you reduce or enlarge the size of the window... yes, really! On our machines minimising the window size can reduce cpu usage from 60% to 5%............
Digi "are working on a fix", but have been since December 2008, with no fix date in sight. Many of us have had to return to 7.4.... or moved to Reaper as our preferrred (stable) DAW.
Not sure I can transfer a link to here, but the thread is on the first page of the LE on PC forum at present under the title CPU Usage or similar. Other MAC users have reported similar problems
Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=236239

Try this link... I could transfer it!
Cheers
All the best.
Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Exclamation Re: CPM Overload Error 6101 on Pro Tools LE v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofa View Post
Read the "read this first" sticky post that suggests a lot of things to do. One thin in particular, all the plugins *have* to be of a compatible version, even if you never use them. Pro Tools loads everything on startup wether you use them or not, and an incompatible version will mess something up.

IK Multimedia plugins, like AmpliTube DUO, Ampeg etc. seem to cause a lot of 6101-errors even if they claim to be compatible; Removing them made all the difference for me. Try the SansAmp plugin instead (Eleven is very very resource-hungry).

Look for a "support folder" (a file package) somewhere in the support pages, it contains a small program to help you list the plug-in versions. Run it while Pro Tools is running, and make sure the output file does *not* exist before you run it (a text file at the desktop).

Using the internal disk should work OK for small projects, if everything else is OK, but an external drive is recommended anyway.

As for other things you could do: make sure you've done every step in
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193636

BR, Robert

Well I am using Amplitude 3.0.2 and I also keep having the 6101 error when I try to bounce in PT9. What do I need to do??