Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 PM

Default CoreAudio Manager can manage my... Argh! Help please.

Hello,

PT HD Native. Omni HD. Just updated to 11.3 and OSX Dolemite 10.10.1. PT works but I can't get playback on iTunes through the omni. Was working fine before update.

System pref-output-HD Native PCI card

Current drivers.

Audio MIDI setup: Protools aggregate was selected. I selected PCI HD Native 8 in/10 out right above it, configured speakers, etc., right clicked and selected "use this device for sound output". Didn't work. Did same thing and restarted, didn't work. I noticed the little speaker icon wasn't moving to the HD Native PCI icon either. The I removed the PT aggregate device from this list (probably dumb move cause now I don't know how to get it back) thinking I'd give it no other option but now the stupid speaker icon just moved to built in digital output and I still can't get HD Native to be used for sound output.

I've had this problem before and by sheer dumb luck managed to correct it, but I'm afraid I wanked this one good.

I'm considering just using a long ass optical cable out from the Mac into the omni and using it as a mixer and not having to worry about CoreAudio again. Anyone do it like this? (Still, I'd like to fix it even I do the cable)

Please help!

Thank you.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:53 PM

Default Re: CoreAudio Manager can manage my... Argh! Help please.

1. From the 11.3 Read Me PDF:

"On Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) only, iTunes does not work with HDX or HD|Native hardware using the AvidCoreAudio manager.
(PTSW-194693)"
The Avid CoreAudio Manager is currently not compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and a driver update will be required.

2. You don't ever have to select Protools Aggregate to hear system sounds through your HD system.

3. Lot's of people use a cable out from the Mac into their HD interface. The Omni makes this easy since you can use the built in mixer function and hear the Mac sounds through your Omni without having to open Protools or create an extra track.

The best way to do this is with a digital cable from the Mac to the Omni Spidf Optical in. That way you hear your Mac's sounds through the Omni's excellent conversion.

The cable you need is right here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hosa-3-5...61-i1407047.gc
Old 12-22-2014, 11:07 PM

Every Avid (Digidesign) hardware based system I ever owned sucked for non ProTools audio through multiple OS versions on multiple Macs & PCs.

I'm talking Mix, HD, Mbox, & Digi002 systems.

Solved the problem by selling the HD rig and purchasing a non-Avid interface.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:43 PM

Figures, it's just me being dumb and not reading the Read Me thing. Thanks for the quick replies though, it's much appreciated! It is getting tiresome having the CoreAudio not work in time with the update though and I think I'll be doing the digital cable route so I don't have to worry or at least have a backup plan. Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The best way to do this is with a digital cable from the Mac to the Omni Spidf Optical in. That way you hear your Mac's sounds through the Omni's excellent conversion.
Great tip. I've been testing Yosemite and 11.3 on my HD Native system as well and felt similar frustration. I went back to Mavericks and was going to wait it out until a proper Avid Core Audio driver fix was released. I may just give it another try.

Just put in an order for this, $8 on Amazon Prime.

With that in mind, does anyone have a method for properly removing the HD driver from the OS? When (and if) Avid does release a proper driver update to correct this issue it'd be nice to completely remove the current driver from the system without a clean OS install.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 AM

I ended up just getting an optical cable and running it from the mac straight into the omni. It's one of those things I wish I would've done long ago. No more launching core audio, I can listen to iTunes, videos on safari or wherever, and I can do it while Pro Tools is running. Highly recommended for anyone who's run into trouble with Core Audio.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
Every Avid (Digidesign) hardware based system I ever owned sucked for non ProTools audio through multiple OS versions on multiple Macs & PCs.
This.
I gave up on Pro Tools hardware for CoreAudio years ago.
I only used my Pro Tools HD (now HDX) hardware with Pro Tools,
use a cheap MOTU interface for playing/recording audio with other apps.
Saves hours of wasted time and aggravation.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:30 PM

Finally did the same after years.
Not sure why I put up with Core Audio for so long.