Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2003, 09:09 PM

Default time code setting question

Okay this is a little weird. First the background. I work at 24 fps in HD AVXL sytem 1

On system 2 which is DV Toolkit LE I also work at 24 fps as I use MediaMunger (Gallery) to convert OMFI to QT

Now - I want to run System 2 on a film dub stage which will send 29.97 TC. If i was on System 1 - i would change my settings to 29.97 (with the auto thing turned on which enables .1% or PULL DOWN) and that would sync fine.

HERE'S THE RUB

Dv tool kit will pull down but I am told by Digi that it only changes the timeline where the HD (or mix plus) will change the sample rate on the Sync I/O creating a true pull down.

SO - I have the Motu Midi Timepiece AV - I will be getting 29.97 code BUT, according to digi, it won't pull the system down. Finally: What TC should I set the MTP AV? to fool the 002?

and digi, i bought the 002 and DV Toolkit for this purpose. It's a little disconcerting...... if it doesn't work at 24 pull down.....

But hey, whatever.

thanks. (maybe the 48 k signal in Motu Midi av can be changed to 47952???)

scott
Old 09-17-2003, 10:09 PM

Default Re: time code setting question

Get a MOTU DTP and feed the SPDIF from that to pull down the clock in your LE system.... or if you have another "pulled down" SPDIF clock source, use that.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 AM

rail,

last night i found that you can change the clock in the MTP AV to 47952.

shouldn't that do the trick? (mommy please don't make me buy another motu product..... ) (I have the aardsync but i don't want to pull it from the hd rig each time i run the 002 system.

and dude, i have seen many, many of your posts. thanks for all of them.

scott
Old 09-18-2003, 11:01 AM

I believe that should be fine if your original session was 48kHz

Rail
Old 09-18-2003, 07:34 PM

Does the MTP take a video ref? I know the DTP does.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:32 PM

yes the mtp av does take video ref.

and here are the results

set the mtp av to 47952 but it doesn't affect the timecode at all. it only changes the outgoing wordclock bnc.*****

the answer is as Rail suggested. one MUST feed pulled down spdif to the 002.

i looked online for various clocks but they are all pricey. and get this - very few of them have spdif! The digital time piece does, but it isn't on digi's compat list. i also do NOT know whether it has os x and USB porting. I would only guess that it does.

*****Now, perhaps i am wrong about the 47952 not having an affect on incoming TC. I will call Motu and ask them if there is a setting i am missing that routes it beyond the wc output.

Does anyone know of a modest way of getting aes clock or spdif at 47952 without spending 600-800 more dollars? Aes is easily rerouted to spdif. that's no problem.

but i will say it was pretty exciting to see the 24 frame QT picture in sync with the HD systm when i feed it spdif from the 192...

thanks for the help on this.

Old 09-18-2003, 10:13 PM

Yep.. I wouldn't normally recommend the DTP to anyone.. it's the cheapest box I could think of that'd fit the job.. if you have the budget a USD and CO2 (AES to SPDIF) box would do the job. With the release of the DV Toolkit.. I think Digi definately should either give LE SynchIO support.. or make another alternative.

I'm surprised that the SMPTE doen't get pulled down in the MOTU box when you pull down the clock.. On second thought.. why am I surprised

Rail
Old 09-18-2003, 10:28 PM

hey Rail

since the 002 takes adat as a clock source i think I have a 350.00 dollar answer

Alesis - AI-4 Digital Audio Interface Converter -

they make a bunch of A1 products. A2 A# ect. there may be a cheaper unit. BUT the a4 has BNC WC input. so, if i feed it the 47952 from the mtp av and plug the toslink cable into the 002, that should do it. AS long as the A1-4 doesn't attempt to "clean" up a sample rate that isn't "perfect" at 48k. there manual made mention of a flashing sample rate led that doesn't match within 2%...

RE MOTU sample rate ......... yeah, but maybe there's another setting on the box that I missed. The clockworks software is straightforward enough. it does seem odd that changing it didn't even blip DVC toolkit.

also, i would like to see the speed cal light turn on but that's another issue. I think it should have when i fed it properly from the hd system. (with vid ref and spdif)

been up since 5 am. i have to turn the obsession light off.

peace
scott