Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 8.0.4 windows 7 keeps crashing

Actually 8.0.4 is a fresh install as well as an update. I was so desperate, I allowed Avid tech support to remote into my machine and they provided me a link to a full installer. You know you're in trouble when an experienced software developer is in your machine and has no idea how to fix what's happening.

The dirt on the motherboard is an excellent suggestion. I have done almost everything else you can image... flashing the bios, creating a new user account, disabling all DAE protection on the entire OS, disabling every card I have... for a system working great for two friggin years it makes me want to toss my computer out the window.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:54 PM

2 more details to remember. With Windows 7, you should ALWAYS right-click on installer files(setup.exe) and use the "Run as Administrator" option. Once your install is finished and updated(you still should run the 8.0.5 updater) and before running PT, right-click on the PT icon and select Properties. Find the tab with these 2 options:
Always Run as Admin
Disable Desktop Composition
and CHECK both options. Hope you get it sorted

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM

Thanks for taking the time to suggest options; I always do the admin/ desktop comp setting. The scary thing is I'm somewhat experienced and I'm almost out of ideas. Right now I'm going the other way and installing ALL the updates, then the software. If you can't beat 'em...

If this doesn't work, really my only other option is a restore point or *gasp* taking a perfectly good OS and trashing it because one damn program won't work when it always had.

To reload stuff, while checking PT every time to make sure it still works sounds terrible. Microsoft and Trend Micro have digitally assaulted me bascially; forced software updates into my perfectly tuned machine and in the process ****** it to pieces.