Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 AM

Default Re: How to Record Kontakt 5 Studio Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakay View Post
Okay, I'm having some serious trouble trying to get Studio Drummer to bus out to Pro Tools. I've read plenty, and watched tutorials, trying to figure out what seems like a relatively easy problem, so assume at least a bit of know-how here. That said, I would love to find out it's something really simple I'm missing.

I have four midi tracks running into an instrument track loaded with Kontakt Studio Drummer. No problems there, I can bus into Kontakt just fine.

My output busses from Kontakt are a different matter. I realize this causes problems for lots of people, but it seems like it's not all that complicated. Create some output busses, and in the mixer in Kontakt assign the individual pieces (kick, snare, etc) to them (snare on st.3 for example). Create a new audio/aux track in PT and assign bus->plugin->Kontakt->st.3 and that would make exceptional sense.

st.3 doesn't exist as an option in PTs. In fact, the only busses Kontakt shows in PTs are the Kontakt internal busses. More digging, this thread, looks like outputs 1/2 thru 9/10 don't like to show up. Okay, cool, make more output busses in Kontakt. Every new output bus I make is now assigned to 9/10. If I make 10 new channels, the last five busses in Kontakt are assigned to 9/10. 11/12+ do not seem to exist as an option of any kind, and since I can only see Kontakt's internal busses in PTs, but can't assign anything to them in Kontakt, this means nothing can be assigned via bus to anything anywhere in PT.

Not the apocalypse I know. I have a work-around in that I can at least mute my midi parts and record each piece individually, but honestly, what gives? Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on here? There is either something I am missing, or this is just a broken interface between the two programs.

Just to confuse me even further, it doesn't seem to matter if I assign every piece to these ninja channels, they still come out the master bus anyway, which might be what the master bus is intended to do, but I can't tell one way or the other.

If it helps, PT10 and Kontakt 5, no issues otherwise. I've spent more time trying to figure this out than just recording each piece individually while muting the rest, which is what I'm doing while I write this.

I just realized this would make more sense on some NI board, but just in case anyone here knows what's up I'll leave it.
Take a look at this tutorial from NI:
http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...n+Pro+Tools+10
and here's a YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J12Ii...ure=watch-vrec

I have Kontakt setup so that when I use it in PT I have 8 audio outputs in the Kontakt mixer; I could have more but that's all I really need.

QAPLA!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the links, that second one showed me a different way to use only one instance of Kontakt.

The problem was my own fault. I thought closing and opening the session was reflecting any changes I made, and it was with the internal Kontakt busses, but I had to actually restart protools itself for the external routing to instantiate itself.

It's not exactly the smoothest interface. Re-enabling a deactivated instance of Kontakt pulls up old settings that aren't reflected. Different instances of Kontakt reflect only one output setting... I guess one instance of Kontakt is really all you need though at the end of the day, and clearly is all PTs wants to play with.

Cheers, that link did help.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahadrums View Post
@Cayce

Do you want me to send you an already prepared project with miltiple outputs for Abbey Road Drummer? I will also send you the multichannel configuration for Kontakt 5.
I know this is an old post, but I saw it and wanted to know if you can send me or point me to a place to download this template? Thanks.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Sorry to catch this late, but I seem to have the same problem.

I want to record the entire drum track on a channel using Native Sessions.

I have set up the instrument on an instrument track. I have good signals showing on the session drummer and the track channel.

I f I tap on my midi keyboard I can record and get a sound

BUT. If I hit play on the Session Drummer and I hear the drums playing, they won't record on Pro-Tools. All I get is a blank yellow line.

Any thoughts please
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrookes View Post

I have set up the instrument on an instrument track. I have good signals showing on the session drummer and the track channel.

BUT. If I hit play on the Session Drummer and I hear the drums playing, they won't record on Pro-Tools. All I get is a blank yellow line.

Any thoughts please
Yep, my thought is you need to spend some time with some tutorials understand basics of Pro Tools, doing that will really help you here. And it is not a waste of time--it will save you lots of frustration.

I'm also concerned when I see posts like this to a thread and your question makes me think you have not read thought he thread itself... which very likely answers the question you are asking.

---

The instrument track is a special track that uses MIDI to output Audio. It does not input or record audio, it can record MIDI. If you want to record audio you need to route audio from a Instrument track to an *Audio* track that can record audio. You do that with a send or maybe by setting the output of the track to a bus then recoding that bus as input to an audio track. It all depends on exactly what you want to do an why. This is Pro Tools (or any DAW) 101 stuff, you need to understand what different types of tracks do, how to work with sends and buses, etc.. Read the Pro Tools reference guide, read Pro Tools 101, Look at tutorials videos on YouTube. etc.

And maybe we should ask why you want to do what you are doing. Why are you not just using a modern workflow and freeze/commit the instrument track?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrookes View Post

Any thoughts please
What do you mean by 'native sessions'? Are you trying to record the audio output of Kontakt? If so you need to ultimately feed that to an audio track in PT. And you need to also record enable the PT track and hit record in the PT transport. What is a 'blank yellow line'? Do you mean a bank track in PT?

Need an exact description of what you're trying to do. Step-by-step if you will.

QAPLA!