Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Default please help on mirroring outputs 1-2 to s/pdif outputs!

hi there,
i need to send the main mix outputs both to analog outputs 1-2 and spdif LR outputs at the same time.
I'm running PT 7.3.1 with digi 002.
I've seen there's a way to send the signal to multiple outputs just ctrl-clicking on both analog 1-2 and spdif LR outputs on any single track's output popup menu, but if i put plugins on the master fader i obviously can hear just one of the two output pairs processed by plugs at the time depending on which output pair is selected on the master fader. The ctrl-click trick doesn't work on the master fader.
Is there a way to just mirror analog 1-2 outputs to spdif LR outputs so i don't have to open 2 master faders with the same plugins on each one??
I checked the reference guide but to be honest i couldn't find clear instructions for this for LE systems.

any advice?

thanks
matteo
Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: please help on mirroring outputs 1-2 to s/pdif outputs!

Quote:
The ctrl-click trick doesn't work on the master fader.
do this in the hardware setup instead of the fader or use a stereo aux instead of a master (makes more sense if you are using any compressor/limiter type plugins).
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply,
unfortunately it looks like Protools LE hardware setup doesn't have that option, maybe you can do that only on TDM-HD.

I thought about using an aux track but i was told aux tracks have a different processing headroom compared to master tracks, is that true??
i also remember many people discussed about using master tracks for mastering, limiting and dithering plugins...

anybody knows other ways to mirror analog 1-2 outputs to digital spdif outputs in ProTools LE with digi002?

DIGI tech? do you have an answer for me on this?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
anybody knows other ways to mirror analog 1-2 outputs to digital spdif outputs in ProTools LE with digi002?

You'll have to use two master faders I'm afraid.

I think It's probably to do with the low latency monitoring option which only works with the analogue outputs.

I'd like to know if It's possible with the 003 though.................anyone?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 AM

the master faders have different signal flow than stereo aux tracks. for limiting plugs, master faders are not good because the plugs are post fader (meaning the compressor/limiter stops working as you start bringing the fader down). For dither though, masters are better.

Master faders don't allow sends. However, for a stereo aux, you could create a send (to spdif) and set it to 0. This would mirror your main output to spdif. you could also, hold control and select a multiple output sending it to both at once.

two master faders are going to require you to duplicate what ever plugs you have on the first to the second (doubling your system resources used for the master).

I'm pretty sure you can do multiple outputs in the hardware setup window on LE. I guess I can't remember for sure, but am almost positive that I've done it on my LE rig. Maybe someone else can advise on that.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Avid

Quote:

Is there a way to just mirror analog 1-2 outputs to spdif LR outputs so i don't have to open 2 master faders with the same plugins on each one??
No, you can't - the only workaround is using an Aux track, keeping in mind that all inserts on the Aux are pre-fader, unlike a Master fader which has them post-fader.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
the master faders have different signal flow than stereo aux tracks. for limiting plugs, master faders are not good because the plugs are post fader (meaning the compressor/limiter stops working as you start bringing the fader down).

Ever wonder why that isn't problem????
Because the Master Fader should remain at 0.0
Find reduction on the bus, individual channels or plug in gain stages.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 AM

I just meant fade outs at the end of the song...if applicable.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 06-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
No, you can't - the only workaround is using an Aux track, keeping in mind that all inserts on the Aux are pre-fader, unlike a Master fader which has them post-fader.
thanks for the reply,
pre or post fader is not a problem for me, i would always stay at 0 on the mix buss fader anyway.
It would be interesting to know from DIGI if putting mastering plug-ins like limiters etc.. on a stereo aux produces exactly the same sound quality than putting them on a master fader, do they have different headrooms? do they react in the same way when the signal is brought to extreme levels with peaks on 0db?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:52 PM

Well you can put a trim plugin between your limiter and your dither...e.g. Sonalksis FreeG.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.