Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 03:19 PM

Default Case of the Shaking Monitor

I've got a 19" NEC monitor, and the lower third of the screen kinda vibrates.. very miniscule that you hardly notice it, but it's definitely there, and it's starting to hurt my eyes. The monitor is sitting between 2 Yamaha NS10's, and these are all on a Omnirax desk. JBL LSR28's are sitting about 2' behind that.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm guessing that the NS10's may be the culprit. But I have nowhere else I can place the stuff... so do y'alls have any suggestions? or comments on your experience? Maybe it's time for me to get the 23" Cinema Display..hehe [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Case of the Shaking Monitor

I put some foam under my monitors. The shaking stopped
Old 09-24-2002, 05:26 PM

I discovered something a little while ago... the sound from the monitors was causing physical vibrations in the monitor and perhaps in me and the vibration I was experiencing would kind of 'phase shift' with the refresh rate of the monitor, causing a flicker.

(:
Old 09-24-2002, 05:36 PM

You should mix some jungle music and move your head to the beat. If you manage to get the beat in sync with your monitor's shakiness, then it'll appear static to you.

Sorry, just being a dumbass. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

6am eternal
Old 09-24-2002, 05:37 PM

hmmm... I was thinking that it had to do something with the magnetic fields of the speaker cones, rather than the vibration of soundwaves. And just to clarify, it's not the WHOLE cmptr monitor that's flickering, just the pixels in the screen.

Any other suggestions or ideas?
Old 09-24-2002, 05:44 PM

Yeah that's the most likely cause, but since you were asking a question and suspected that it's the magnetic field, I'd have thought you'd try moving them to verify it. I misinterpreted.

As far as I know there is no fix for your problem if you can't move the monitors. I tried some low cost magnetic shielding but it didn't work and was very ugly. Why not get the 24" widescreen? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 06:15 PM

I have a friend whose monitor "shakes" violently when his toaster or microwave is on.....could be a power supply problem?!?
Pro Tools: LE 6.2.2
Interface: MBox
Monitors: Event PS 6
Oxygen 8
Event PS 6 Monitors
Old 09-24-2002, 06:23 PM

Well it sounds like the magnetic fields coming from the speaker coil are affecting the CRT deflection coils. Really!

If indeed the problem disappears when you move the speakers away then try this.

If you have access to good shielding material use that, if not try aluminum foil on either the side of the speaker or monitor. You might also need to connect a wire between them and connect to earth ground. Connect a wire to the center screw on your wall socket and connect this to the foil.

Hopefully this will shield the magnetic field.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:21 PM

I had the same problem. Try this...

Open the monitor control panel and choose "show all" instead of just resolutions supported. Try a higher resolution with a higher refresh rate. Make sure your colors is set to hundreds or whatever it is Digi recommends. This works with my Sony 17" . It stops that mini jitter you see out of the corner of your eye that drives you nuts.

On my other setup, I went to a faster video card and a Lacie 19". No problems. Usually speakers will distort the image on the screen rather than cause the jitter which seems to be a refresh rate thing in my experience.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:55 AM

Aluminium foil will give you an electrostatic field, but not a magnetic one. You need a magnetic material for that, which aluminium is not. But in any case, a steady manetic field from speakers will indeed deflect the scan, but this shows up as distorted geometry and wrong colours, not flickering.

Screen vibration most likely comes from an AC field generated by a mains transformer. What mains-powered equipment is underneath your screen? That will probably be the culprit. I've seen the power supply in the Mackie HUI do this to a 21" CRT monitor.