Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Default Recommendation

I currently have a PC (piece of crap) and I want to make the transition to Mac due to not being able to smoothly run Pro Tools LE 8.

I have Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE, a Digidesign Mbox 2 mini, and a Rode NT1A condenser microphone.
I'm only 17 and have limited money so what kind of Mac would you recommend? I'm obviously trying to make a craigslist or Ebay purchase due to not being able to pay full retail. (Also i want it to be a laptop)

Please let me know what version along with the tech specs.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Recommendation

What's the issue with your current pc?
Other than portability, why a laptop?

Mac mini's pack some power, shoot for an i7. But if laptops are really what you want get a macbookpro can gthejob job done. Get as much RAM as possible pre-installed, and I highly recommend replacing the HD if possible but definitely get a second drive
Old 05-19-2013, 05:26 PM

Post Re: Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealanax View Post
I have Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE, a Digidesign Mbox 2 mini, and a Rode NT1A condenser microphone.
I'm only 17 and have limited money so what kind of Mac would you recommend?
I would suggest getting some money to upgrade to Pro Tools v10 now, which will let you upgrade to v11 for free when it ships. This greatly expands your options in terms of a laptop.

If you are going to stick with Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE, then you want a laptop that was released before September of 2009, as you will get the best performance with Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE on Mac OS X Leopard (v10.5).

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...acbookpro.html

You want a MacBookPro5,2 or earlier. Check AVID's list of qualified Macintosh computers for Pro Tools 8 to verify that you are buying a laptop that will work as expected.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatamas View Post
What's the issue with your current pc?
Other than portability, why a laptop?

Mac mini's pack some power, shoot for an i7. But if laptops are really what you want get a macbookpro can gthejob job done. Get as much RAM as possible pre-installed, and I highly recommend replacing the HD if possible but definitely get a second drive

My current PC wont run the software, it keeps delivering an error message, my screen goes blue and it says "Dumping to disk" not sure what that means, but thank you.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
I would suggest getting some money to upgrade to Pro Tools v10 now, which will let you upgrade to v11 for free when it ships. This greatly expands your options in terms of a laptop.

If you are going to stick with Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE, then you want a laptop that was released before September of 2009, as you will get the best performance with Pro Tools 8.0.3 LE on Mac OS X Leopard (v10.5).

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...acbookpro.html

You want a MacBookPro5,2 or earlier. Check AVID's list of qualified Macintosh computers for Pro Tools 8 to verify that you are buying a laptop that will work as expected.

Thank you!