Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Re: drum miking ideas for >this< kit?

Your advice helped out immensely. Having the Solaris set to figure-8, wedged in the small space between the mid and floor toms works incredibly well. One overhead is perfectly fine to get the cymbals. The Beta on the kick, which I was able to borrow, blows away the 58 (obviously). I can actually hear the note that the kick is hitting. It's not just a thud.

Thankfully our drummer tracks her parts straight through -- in one take, usually. That's enough to nail it, too. It makes my job much easier. I can appreciate now, what a dream it must be for producers to work with skilled, well-timed musicians. Recording is a breeze.

It's funny that you mentioned this in a previous post about the HPF. The studio is yards away from Interstate 15 in Southern California, where trucks roll by all the time. And the walls are thin, too. I'll definitely turn on those HPF's. Not ideal studio space by any means, but it's worth the price and convenience. We always intended to record something polished in a proper studio. This one works fine for rehearsal, songwriting, and recording demos. The 002 rig is perfect for this.

Is it cool if I give you a link to a rough mix of the drums, so you can give me any pointers/suggestions? I've read plenty of books about mixing, have the technical/theory side down, but the fact that I need to focus on my #1 priority, playing guitar and songwriting -- keeps me from getting my chops down on mixing. It won't sound anywhere near as good as it could, but the demos should do a great job presenting the songs, as a whole.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneK View Post
Bleed is okay, and is inevitable with drums, but as long as you phase align everything like I said earlier then all your mics will all be working together and your drums will sound nice and full and punchy!

Should your drummer be less than consistent and you end up having to do some editing I would consider using gates then because when you start shifting things it will begin to go out of phase so a gate may help with that, De-essing will as well because most of the bleed generally comes from the cymbals since they ring out longer.

No need for the HPF, unless your walls are thin and large trucks go by your house, it won't really help with much other than that.

When it comes to the EQ issues, since there is so much bleed (again, not a bad thing if mics are in phase) its impossible to EQ for just one specific drum. Just use your ears, whatever sounds good then just go with it. If you find you lose your sweet snare sound then use a gate and side chain some white noise into it everytime the snare is hit. Also keep in mind, the snare's "crack" likes to live around the 4kHz area so try not to cut too much out of the tom there.

In terms of placement between floor and tom, again, use your ears, if the levels are too hot then use the pad, as long as your drummer doesn't hit it while playing and it sounds good with all the other mics mixed in then leave it where it is, if not, move it around slightly in that location

Good Luck!
Your advice helped out immensely. Having the Solaris set to figure-8, wedged in the small space between the mid and floor toms works incredibly well. One overhead is perfectly fine to get the cymbals. The Beta on the kick, which I was able to borrow, blows away the 58 (obviously). I can actually hear the note that the kick is hitting. It's not just a thud.

Thankfully our drummer tracks her parts straight through -- in one take, usually. That's enough to nail it, too. It makes my job much easier. I can appreciate now, what a dream it must be for producers to work with skilled, well-timed musicians. Recording is a breeze.

It's funny that you mentioned this in a previous post about the HPF. The studio is yards away from Interstate 15 in Southern California, where trucks roll by all the time. And the walls are thin, too. I'll definitely turn on those HPF's. Not ideal studio space by any means, but it's worth the price and convenience. We always intended to record something polished in a proper studio. This one works fine for rehearsal, songwriting, and recording demos. The 002 rig is perfect for this.

Is it cool if I give you a link to a rough mix of the drums, so you can give me any pointers/suggestions? I've read plenty of books about mixing, have the technical/theory side down, but the fact that I need to focus on my #1 priority, playing guitar and songwriting -- keeps me from getting my chops down on mixing. It won't sound anywhere near as good as it could, but the demos should do a great job presenting the songs, as a whole.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric22rr View Post

Of course! Send me a link, I'd love to hear what you got.

There was another post earlier talking about selecting the area in the room as well. If I could also add walking around the room hitting the floor tom in different spots to where it sounds the best I would do that too. Once you find the spot you like set the kit up around that.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Of course! Send me a link, I'd love to hear what you got.

There was another post earlier talking about selecting the area in the room as well. If I could also add walking around the room hitting the floor tom in different spots to where it sounds the best I would do that too. Once you find the spot you like set the kit up around that.
Here's a link to the file. It's WAV; let me know if that doesn't work. It's a raw track of the drums. Kick, Snare, Toms and OH. Each track has individual EQ/Compressor settings and there aren't any FX on the total drum mix (except for a limiter to bring the mix volume up). It's rough, and I don't have much experience -- so rip it apart!

https://files.me.com/eric.rosenwald/gpwn99.wav
Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric22rr View Post
Here's a link to the file. It's WAV; let me know if that doesn't work. It's a raw track of the drums. Kick, Snare, Toms and OH. Each track has individual EQ/Compressor settings and there aren't any FX on the total drum mix (except for a limiter to bring the mix volume up). It's rough, and I don't have much experience -- so rip it apart!

https://files.me.com/eric.rosenwald/gpwn99.wav
Your room isn't very large is it? Not that that's a bad thing but you can definitely tell when the snare hits.

I like the kick sound for sure, the snare sounds like it's had it's balls taken off though. Maybe give it some more down low and let the snare and the kick mesh.

The overheads seem a little compressed, not much room for them to breathe. Usually when cymbals are totally carved in the EQ too since they take up so much frequency space. It's not much issue when it's just a drum track but when you wind up doing a whole song try doing lots of carving to leave room for other instruments

What I would suggest instead of individual comp on each track is send the tracks to an Aux track and put a whack of compression on it then mix it in with the dry tracks. It'll give them some more punch without feeling too boxed in.

Overall pretty good sounds though
Old 07-01-2011, 11:39 PM

No, it isn't very big... about 22' x 25' with terrible acoustics. That's really interesting that you were able to hear that.

Very good point about the snare and the other stuff! Thanks for the advice! I did better in the next song we recorded. The toms come through much better!

Quote:
Your room isn't very large is it? Not that that's a bad thing but you can definitely tell when the snare hits.

I like the kick sound for sure, the snare sounds like it's had it's balls taken off though. Maybe give it some more down low and let the snare and the kick mesh.

The overheads seem a little compressed, not much room for them to breathe. Usually when cymbals are totally carved in the EQ too since they take up so much frequency space. It's not much issue when it's just a drum track but when you wind up doing a whole song try doing lots of carving to leave room for other instruments

What I would suggest instead of individual comp on each track is send the tracks to an Aux track and put a whack of compression on it then mix it in with the dry tracks. It'll give them some more punch without feeling too boxed in.

Overall pretty good sounds though