Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Default How to set my Loudness Meter....

So finally I am now looking into loudness meters for our studio here in Toronto. As of yet there has been no mandate for loudness set up north that I know of yet. Basically don't peak above -10 for TV shows -8 for commercials has worked well for years. I'm sure CBC and CTV will set how this standard will be imposed I hope they follow what the US have done to make it simple.

Any who I know its coming if it hasn't already and I missed it. I have been demoing some software. Negun/ V sonics V meters. And our old dolby media meter 1.

So far the Negun seems to use less power than the other two plus looks pretty cool. V meters is good to visually very nice looking and basic (It was months ago that i demo'd Vmeters). Our old dolby media meter from what I can tell only measures dial intelligence (which may be close but not true loudness? from what i read on the forums). So I think that kinda makes it useless unless that is asked for which I think it wont be.

So obviously I could go and buy dolby media meter 2 To be sure I am in dolby spec etc. but From what I read LeqA is the same measurement as the LM100? I'm asking as I see that standard still being used for measurement. One of our mixes that went to discovery US has been rejected. stating that the LM100 has deemed it to loud.

I would prefer to not buy dolby because we have multiple studios and for the price of one DMM2 I can get a few of the other metering plugs. So is LeqA the same as a LM100?

And also for the next question. just looking at the Nugen plug in VsLM-H I see lots of settings in the options. I also se presets which is nice to see. But I'm curious how I know which one is right for me. I have never seen spec sheets for our shows come with details like I can set on these meters.

For example here is a Spec...

"when measured on an LM100 set to measure "stereo" (Or "All" depending on content), with dialog intelligence enabled, short term dialog levels should reside between -22 and -32, and infinate term levels should reside between -26 and -28"

Can I set that on this meter negun VisLM-H. can I assume that short term and long term are referring to a reading in LKFS? If so which Meter setting would be requred? ITU 1770-2? or ATSC LKFS? or any of the other options I have

thats just an example but all the options on these meters makes me think I may need to set these meters up for mixers before they mix to make sure they have the right settings or it could give out readings that are wrong for each show spec? Or is it just eye candy mostly?

Sorry for all the newbi questions just trying to get a hold of this before canada catches up with the rest of the world.

thanks in advance for your help and replys

kd
Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Default Re: How to set my Loudness Meter....

Currently if any specs you are mixing to require dialog intelligence or refere to 'dialnorm' etc. you need the Dolby Media Meter or the LM100. I heard they were licensing this patented Dolby tech but I havent seen any products out besides their own that do it.

My suggestion would be to not invest in multiple DMM licenses, but get the cheaper metering of your choice and for the job that calls upon the dolby stuff have a floating ilok with the authorization for whichever room needs it. hopefully dolbys proprietary stuff is going the way of the dinosaur now that the LKFS standard is starting to be put in to place.

MKD Creative
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Makes sense thanks for the help.

kd
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM

I just finished mixing a doc with specs from Bell Media here in TO and needed to hit the -24LKFS spec. Just set the meters to ITU-1770-2 and infinite and away you go. I still mix with my VU's though and just keep an eye on the LKFS but don't stress over whether I'm hitting the spec because so long as you're hitting your dialogue around 0VU you'll be within a db of the -24LKFS. Then when I'm done I go back and pay attention to the LKFS and usually have to make some minor overall adjustments here and there to hit the spec.

Also, I wouldn't invest in DMM right now as it sounds like they're coming out with a new plug called Dolby Emulator that will probably have this as well, and it's only supposed to be $300. There's another thread on here about it.

JR
Old 11-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks JR....

Yeah that makes sense too. To be honest until lately I have not paid much attention to the -24 LKFS spec. I think I will start to on my next projects as they will be coming standard.

My mixes are pretty balls to the wall. Which the meter did not like at all? But man is it loud eh!!!! hahaha

Just curious JR how did you know to set the meters to this standard? "ITU-1770-2"

Is that in your spec sheet? or is this the measurement for north America/Canada etc? Thats really the part i'm most confused about. The spec sheets for shows I'm mixing for Course Ent. don't seem to have this info layed out for me. I have never seen these types of Specs or standards other than in these forums or in documents.

Thanks for all you help JR. Your web site looks cool too. You and me have crossed paths before a few years back. I always thought you were a Neuendo guy...

kd
Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Ken, a lot of broadcasters are asking for LKFS measurements on 5.1 mixes, on stereo they are usually only looking at peak levels. If you meant Corus, depending on the network they would have a 5.1 delivery spec.

If you have multiple rooms (and don't want to buy DMMs for every room) one way you can handle 5.1 deliveries if you are confident of the sound of your room is to mix your show, check it using the AS version of DMM, then simply apply the GAIN plug-in to meet your spec. The LKFS has a 1:1 relationship to gain.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info Jim.

kd
Old 11-24-2011, 01:43 PM

My spec sheet called for ATSC A/85, and when I googled that I found that it is based on the ITU 1770-2 standard. Plus when I was setting up the meters the only thing that gave me an LKFS measurement was the 1770-2 so that's what I used on the DMM2.

Ya I was working on Nuendo at a studio for a couple years, but switched back to PT when I went freelance. What's your name?

JR
Old 11-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post
My spec sheet called for ATSC A/85, and when I googled that I found that it is based on the ITU 1770-2 standard. Plus when I was setting up the meters the only thing that gave me an LKFS measurement was the 1770-2 so that's what I used on the DMM2.

Ya I was working on Nuendo at a studio for a couple years, but switched back to PT when I went freelance. What's your name?

JR
Thats cool. Hey I have demoed the nugen meter. and it has presets for ASTC A/85 And discovery 5.1 discovery NTSC etc. I thought that was pretty cool. you should check it out when you get a sec. its a 30 day trial. And its really nice lookin'

http://www.nugenaudio.com/visLM_loud...ST_AU_RTAS.php

The other plug that looked cool was the LM corrector. But I think I might be ashamed to admit to using it. hahah

http://www.nugenaudio.com/LM-Correct...re_correct.php

But you never know when you may need something like that.

kd
Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 AM

I've been using the Nugen for a year or so now. I checked it against the DMM (in LKFS/1770) quite heavily when I got it and found the long term always agreed within .5 of a DB (which I chalk up to the fact that the DMM only does Integer Readings, while the NUGEN does tenths). I've had zero QC issues, even with CBC/SRC up here.

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada