Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2008, 09:04 PM

Default Re: The Tea Room..

Quote:

Yeah, something like that
I was actually pretty good at German a couple of years back. Here in Sweden we have the choice of learning either french or german besides english starting 6th grade. Needless to say I've forgot a lot of it. It's not like english that you hear and read everywhere. I understand german OK when spoken, many words are close to swedish.

Quote:
as far as the photo for an upcoming album, sure, if you are looking for something in particular drop me a line off boards and we'll chat man.

well, back to the case of Magic Hat that I got my hands on for the evening.. :grin"
What?!
Stiff: cool, I might be able to speak the language a bit then if Swedish is close to German. I've got a heavy german background.

were you saying What about the album cover or the Magic hat beer? lol
Old 04-13-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:

If you're ever in the area, you're most welcome to visit & do some tracking/mixing here.
I'll even give you a day crash course in analog technology
If you're planning to use VI's, plugins, and anything mitti though...you are SOL
We do not cater to that clientèle. Leave that to the home project "studios"

all the best..BTW, checked out {finally) your youtube videos..
Good luck w/the blog thang !
I'm de-evolving right here. Basically haven't used any VI:s at all lately. I've even gone back to the dark ages and actually... be seated for this one... created FX sounds by myself instead with plug-ins!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I think you've caught one of my influences
Snorre W. Ruch or Øystein Aarseth? Underneath the Universe Part II. Need I say any more.

Ummm... any rumours of Satyricon's forthcoming album?

I'm definitely a Mayhem guy so naturally Øystein is the man for me. The riffs on "De mysteriis..." have influenced me a lot, but as with all albums I love in this style I think that the "vibe" of them, or the feeling I get is actually influencing me more than the music itself. Definitely the case with "Hvis lyset tar oss" for instance. And to be fair, Blasphemer is (at least technically) twice the guitarist Øystein was

Haven't heard anything special about a new Satyricon album. But I don't stay up to date. I don't even listen to new groups. I stick with the old albums and by new ones when the "oldies" release them
With that said, I'm a fan of Satyricons change in style.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Stiff: cool, I might be able to speak the language a bit then if Swedish is close to German. I've got a heavy german background.

were you saying What about the album cover or the Magic hat beer? lol
Really? I did not know that! You have a parent or something that's german?

What a crazy website! I like the cat!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 PM

no 'rents that are german, but family has a big german ancestory that was passed down in tradition over the years.

yeah, the cat is cool on the magic hat site. Try the original or the number 9 potion sometime.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Snorre's an ex-memeber (Blackthorn) and had a lot of influence on Øystein, in fact you'll see his name in the credits of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (Instrumental) was partically written by Snorre. He also wrote Storm (of the Destroyer) from the Satyricon K.I.N.G. single. Though, it's interesting you mention Mayhem's facade, I found it pretentious, i.e., Øystein, and only really liked the band because of Per Yngve Ohlin (Dead).

Bjørn Dencker's another one I like, love his vocal and lyric style, especially in Dødheimsgard, 666 International. Written in 1999 (yes, invert it, you get 666 I) and I still listen to it. Bjørn Dencker (Aldrahn) also sung on Thorns - Thorns. Thorns and Dødheimsgard are like the pinnacle of Avant-garde Metal.

filosofem
Old 04-14-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Snorre's an ex-memeber (Blackthorn) and had a lot of influence on Øystein, in fact you'll see his name in the credits of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (Instrumental) was partically written by Snorre. He also wrote Storm (of the Destroyer) from the Satyricon K.I.N.G. single. Though, it's interesting you mention Mayhem's facade, I found it pretentious, i.e., Øystein, and only really liked the band because of Per Yngve Ohlin (Dead).
Yes, I know that Snorre wrote some riffs for "De mysteriis...". And yes, I also think Euronymous was pretentious, but nevertheless he's arguably the most important figure in the scene. If not for his musical skills, definitely for his business side. And it doesn't change the great recordings they did

I really liked Dead as well, but think probably as high of Maniac though they're very different. What he's doing with Kvarforth - who I think is a really inspirational writer - at the moment is very interesting. I bought the first Skitliv EP (too long title to write here ) and waiting for "Amfetamin" to be released on vinyl before I buy it. Can't wait until the first "proper" album is released.

Quote:
Bjørn Dencker's another one I like, love his vocal and lyric style, especially in Dødheimsgard, 666 International. Written in 1999 (yes, invert it, you get 666 I) and I still listen to it. Bjørn Dencker (Aldrahn) also sung on Thorns - Thorns. Thorns and Dødheimsgard are like the pinnacle of Avant-garde Metal.
I listened a lot to 666 International when it was released as well, and really loved that it sounded like nothing else. I was kind turned off by their other releases at the time (can't remember if it was one or two) as they more fit the standard frame.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
no 'rents that are german, but family has a big german ancestory that was passed down in tradition over the years.

yeah, the cat is cool on the magic hat site. Try the original or the number 9 potion sometime.
If I ever find it that is!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
I also think Euronymous was pretentious, but nevertheless he's arguably the most important figure in the scene.
He was a false god, a hollow golden calf, if you will. The real substance came from those behind the scenes. Yeah, Helvete and DSP (Deathlike Silence Productions) helped put them on the map, but according to Snorre, he says, Euronymous was no swordsman. Though, I agree, Mayhem are beacons on the timeline of destruction, nevertheless.
Quote:
I listened a lot to 666 International when it was released as well, and really loved that it sounded like nothing else. I was kind turned off by their other releases at the time (can't remember if it was one or two) as they more fit the standard frame.
Although Fixit and Czral are still in the band, latest release since 666 International was 2007. 666 International had just the right musicians (personalities), Svein Egil Hatlevik (Mr Magic Logic - Piano), Bjørn Dencker Gjerde (Aldrahn - Vocals), Ole Jørgen Moe (Apollyon). Everything just worked! I listen to it on reference headphones when I'm doing theory (each day), you nearly pick up something new every listen. It's just so deep, there's so much going on. Kronet Til Konge, Satanic Art, both which I owned, do just fit the standard frame, your quite right.

filosofem
Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
He was a false god, a hollow golden calf, if you will. The real substance came from those behind the scenes. Yeah, Helvete and DSP (Deathlike Silence Productions) helped put them on the map, but according to Snorre, he says, Euronymous was no swordsman.
So what if he was no swordsman? Like him or not, his riffs are probably amongst the most influential at the time, and DSP and Helvete as you mentioned were crucial. Also, if you think of him as a poser or something along those lines (which I do) there's no denying that that kind of "posing" helped create the buzz around Scandinavia and the rest of the world in interviews and such.

The real substance came from behind the scenes? How do you figure? The most important bands at the time is no doubt bands like Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, Immortal and Darkthrone. Wouldn't you say that these bands were eh... in front of the scene... ?