How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2020, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Can not save, "The system cannot find the file specified"

HI.
I have basically the same problem when just editing to a session stored on my NAS.
Do anyone use EA when this happens?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:19 PM

EA?
Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 PM

Elastic audio
When I have Elastic audio set to Real-time on tracks I get this problem, but when set to Render it works.
Just curious if anyone else see this?

Last edited by Raggi; 06-24-2020 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:14 AM

Sorry, I don't use elastic audio. I'm having this problem without it.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:02 AM

I just opened an AVID case too. Let's see what will happen.... fingers crossed.

Best, Stefan.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:21 AM

Yesterday, after 26 days, I finally got a response which was simply:
"May I know the drive format of your hard drive?"

How would you answer that, about the Diskstation?
Old 06-25-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl501 View Post
Yesterday, after 26 days, I finally got a response which was simply:
"May I know the drive format of your hard drive?"

How would you answer that, about the Diskstation?
You are the systems manager of this complex box... did you create a ext4 or btrfs file system on it? (the standard file system is ext4... this is a Linux box hiding inside).

Impossible to tell if the question from Avid support reflects deep thought or a complete lack of understanding. But either way whatever filesystem you are using and accessing by a CIFS clone sure ain't NTFS and I expect Avid will likely just tell you its not supported. There is no way I would risk my work relying on such a setup.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-25-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:44 PM

I confirmed it's ext4. Thanks.

Saving directly to the Diskstation worked great for 7 years. But now I've installed a local SSD for ProTools only and will back it up to the NAS (which in turn gets backed up offsite).
Old 06-25-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl501 View Post
I confirmed it's ext4. Thanks.

Saving directly to the Diskstation worked great for 7 years. But now I've installed a local SSD for ProTools only and will back it up to the NAS (which in turn gets backed up offsite).
Yes i hear you and understand what you are saying. But... Avid is unlikely to test with these devices. And Pro Tools is doing more than just simple file copies to disk. It worked for you and now it does not... that could maybe be more a sign that you should not be using it more than that you should. DUC has multiple threads in the past from folks testing Synology NAS and having problems with it. Maybe you were lucky for 7 years, maybe you missed some other session corruption issues, maybe you are correct and it all works fine and now there is weird a non-specific bug that hit here, who knows.

I just would not risk precious work doing this. I likely expect Avid will end up telling you it's not a supported config... for them to credibly do more they would really need to test with these boxes, and that would surprise me they want to do that, especially as they have their competing higher end boxes.

NAS is great. I think low-end NAS boxes like Synology make fantastic backup devices on a network. And Synology did a very nice job packaging stuff for lower-end uses (many "enterprise" NAS boxes have eye watering price points that are not always justified).

NAS boxes vary a lot as to what's going on inside. What's the underlying file system? What's the SMB/CIFS stack (yours is based on Samba, most serious NAS won't use that). etc. Avid supports (and clearly tests) their own high stuff (they OEM that but I have no idea what technology stack that uses internally). If people want to use Synology NAS in production it would be much better if there was a clear understanding from Avid that it's supported and that they test with it. (I certainly don't speak for Avid, but my expectation today is it's not officially supported).
Old 06-25-2020, 01:36 PM

Thanks for that. I'm sure you're right on all counts. It was an unpleasant surprise for me to suddenly be out of commission, but ultimately my workflow has changed for the better.

I suspect you're right that Avid will say it's an unsupported use. It may take another month for my ticket to get to that point, but I will post the results here, nonetheless. With sorely lacking customer service from Avid, this community has been a great help. Thanks again to all who have contributed.