Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 06:40 AM

Default WE WANT PROTOOLS 6 AND ASIO FOR WINDOWS

we must press to the equipment of digidesing so that it provides to the program protools 6 to us, already and asio driver for Windows xp, we are in disadvantage with the users of mac and I do not think to buy mac.
is ours to have to demand a support in conditions we have a hardware without midi, I believe that all we must remember it.

it adds an answer we must demand what it corresponds to us, if your not it beams
Old 05-14-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Re: WE WANT PROTOOLS 6 AND ASIO FOR WINDOWS

I smell Babble Fish! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Here fishy, fishy, fish, fish!!!!

38, 39 what ever it takes.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:11 AM

I still feel digidesign have mac user’s interest at heart more so than us PC users.
I'd like to see an equal share of digi's attention for both platforms.

To be fair though, it has been getting better.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:30 AM

I agree with you mixerboy.

Now in Bable Fish translation:
"Convengo con usted mixerboy". [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 09:42 AM

6.1 of the protools in time will come.

searching the message board you do not.

do or do not, there is no try.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yoda's rules!!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:53 AM

Ummm...

http://www.digidesign.com/news/details.cfm?story_id=54

At NAB 2003 they announced the release of ProTools 6.1, which will include support of Windows. Just make sure you check digidesign's website and the press release section.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:57 AM

Well said supa sprung monkey hunta

defretman
Old 05-14-2003, 10:12 AM

Another thing...

On the subject of the missing features in protools for windows.

Any feature of protools that doesn't rely on the host operating system or standard extension or component of it, seems to be totally cross plaform.

All the pages and pages of people crying about dual display's not working properly on windows. Not digi's fault, if microsoft can't copy a mac feature that's been working fine in it's original form since 1987 and it's 2003, who's fault is it ???

Patchname support. Not digi's fault, Protools under windows, is essentially a mac program running on a PC, that means things that are reliant on mac software or OS features arn't for windows. Why should they waste their time adding their own implementation of something that's done for them already ?

Direct Connect / Software Synths I believe this was always just an experiment, now they've got dozens of software synths that work on the mac version under OS9, they've got lots of companies committed to providing their customers with upgrades for the OS X version. This means more RTAS format synths and I'm sure digidesign must hand out common code for both platforms to make porting them to RTAS format on windows a lot easier, similar to the way Emagic provide libraries to VST plug-in companies to ease their migration to AU format under OS X.

Rewire will be even better, multiple outputs to protools, selectable buffer sizes. The 1 stereo output per midi channel that's been a major plus point of direct connect over RTAS will be available for both platforms.

3rd party support. You can't petition, moan and kick up a fuss about a company who maybe only have 3 or 4 members of staff and hope that magically gives them the resources to port their software to windows, it's not going to happen.

In the case of large companies like Native Instruments, they screw over all protools users, if it's not an almost total lack of software as with windows, it's software that's twice the price and/or only in a bundle they choose.

Midi / Groove Features are still very crippled on both platforms, why not enable groove creation from audio ? Why not be able groove quantise audio regions ? Why no beat detective ?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John H:
All the pages and pages of people crying about dual display's not working properly on windows. Not digi's fault, if microsoft can't copy a mac feature that's been working fine in it's original form since 1987 and it's 2003, who's fault is it ???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">actually, thats a PT thing. dual monitor support means window placement gets remembered by the app. cubase and sonar both do this well. cubase even goes an extra step by treating all windows as a single window in the fact that you can grab things immediately in other windows without first selecting that window as you do in sonar.

so, digi could, in fact, fix the problem if they wanted to.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:22 AM

I'm not getting into a platforms debate but It seems to me that PC systems are as capable as mac systems. The growth of PC Audio take up is booming and I suspect it must be becoming a large part of Digidesigns income.

I'd just like digi to make me feel on par with mac users.