Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Dual monitors issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful World View Post
…...Why isn't the company that wrote the Asio drivers for your interface a potential suspect?
I don't suspect it works like that….i assume (i know) that the company (interface in this case) writes the drivers that make/utilize the interface work with asio drivers….

May have it backwards but this i what i am imagining...
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 AM

To be honest, I don't really know which aspect of PT10/Win is reliant on the Asio [Asio4all?] driver bearing in mind PT doesn't really use the VST protocol.

Is Asio completely separate from VST? Aren't they both Steinberg innovations? I imagine it has something to do with handling virtual instruments and effects, not audio.

For instance, when AAX comes, does Asio go away, to be replaced by something else?

I wouldn't mind knowing how Asio fits into the total PT picture, if anyone can explain it.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Blissful -

Yes, VST and ASIO are both Steinberg innovations, but they're completely separate technologies. VST is a plugin protocol, one that PT does not support natively. (There is a very nice VST wrapper that allows VST plugins to be used as RTAS with PT, however.) ASIO will not be affected at all by AAX since AAX is a plugin protocol and ASIO is a driver model. And since VST isn't supported natively by PT it won't directly be affected by AAX either. As long as PT supports RTAS then the VST wrapper should continue to work with it. I have a UAD-1 card and until recently support in PT was accomplished by using a light version of the VST wrapper for RTAS. They now have native RTAS drivers.

ASIO is a driver protocol that was developed by Steinberg primarily to allow easier use of multiple I/O interfaces within DAW applications (early DirectX drivers forced apps to use I/O in stereo pairs), and it also allowed significantly lower latencies than earlier windows driver models, as well as other advantages. It's now the preferred driver model for almost all professional PC DAW applications, and virtually every major manufacturer of professional audio interfaces considers ASIO support essential. It's been around for a number of years, and it's a mature technology. It's standard for PC users to switch between DAW applications easily using ASIO support, and I use my audio cards with Samplitude, PT, and several other apps. Well, the various other apps allow this. Using a different app usually means I have to reboot before I can use PT again.

On the other hand, ASIO4ALL is a simple generic ASIO driver typically used to allow ASIO access to onboard PC sound chips, though it can be used with other sound devices as well. It's my understanding it's limited to 2-in and 2-out capabilities, but I don't use it myself.

As an aside, it was a VERY cool thing that Avid did when they made the decision to support ASIO. As critical as I have been of the ASIO support, at least it exists. I wouldn't be using PT today without that support. It's frustrating and I have to reboot a lot, but I'm able to directly transfer projects between myself and various studios, and it's been a godsend. And along the way they've made a PT convert of me. Once they get ASIO support ironed out I will become a big proponent of the platform.

ejwells - I program PC's for a living, but clearly you believe you know more about them than I. Not much point in my trying to offer insight into the multi-monitor support issue.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
ejwells - I program PC's for a living, but clearly you believe you know more about them than I. Not much point in my trying to offer insight into the multi-monitor support issue.
Is that clearly what I believe?
I never said that I know more about PC's than anybody.
So please...offer all the insight you want/feel a need to.
I'm just saying that Macs don't have the any of the issues with multiple monitors that PC's do.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Dean-- Great explanation. Thanks.

btw, I don't have them now, but I was using dual monitors with a PC as far back as 2003. There were zero problems moving windows around between the monitors [granted I did not have PT, I was using Cubase]. So Windows itself is more than capable of supporting free movement of windows.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:35 PM

PCs don't have any issues with multiple monitors. The backdrops are a legacy feature that lots of PC users prefer to having windows scattered all over multiple screens. Developers can do it any way they choose. While the PT background took some getting used to, I actually wish they'd add it to the Mac version!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:11 PM

Actually, I see that Pro Tools on PC does support "free" window movement for most windows, just not the Edit or Mix window. (Which are the ones most people would want on a second monitor.) As I type this I'm looking at the Transport, Memory Location, Automation Enable, Big Counter, and System Usage windows all outside the main window container.

Not sure why they chose to do it that way, but now it's clear that it's a design decision, and not a limitation of either a PC or the Windows operating system - which is the point many of us made earlier. Of course several of us had already pointed out that you can do it in apps like Reason and Samplitude, etc.

It's easy and common to blame PC's and Windows for limitations in an application. Some are valid, but this one isn't.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Oh yeah - well if a tree falls ini the forest does it make any sound.....huh???? Well does it !!!!!

Hahahah - lighten up everybody life is short we could all get hit by a BUS TOMORROW !!!!!

Vivá le revoluccion

Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Oh yeah - well if a tree falls ini the forest does it make any sound.....huh???? Well does it !!!!!
As the Zen Master said: what is the sound of a clap with one hand?

Quote:
Hahahah - lighten up everybody life is short we could all get hit by a BUS TOMORROW !!!!!
I never got run over by a PT BUS!

Quote:
Vivá le revoluccion
OK, lets have some fun!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
As the Zen Master said: what is the sound of a clap with one hand?

I never got run over by a PT BUS!
woo I don't know the answer to that one.

And about the answer to that run over by a bus question - I guess u haven't upgraded to PT10 yet then huh !!! Hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I would anticipate it being "fixed" in PT 11...