Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Instrument track with hardware synth

I absolutely love my Moog Sub 37, and I use the MIDI track/audio track combo. I do this because I can easily record just the audio if I want, and drop MIDI and programming capabilities whenever I feel like it.

Naming conventions:

- MIDI track: "mMoog 5-11" (m for MIDI > bank 5 > preset 11)
- Audio track: "Moog 5-11"
Old 04-27-2018, 04:30 AM

Hi Stig - please let me know your ins/outs for each track and where your Moog Editor plug-in is? Rgds, Gary
Old 04-27-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazblake View Post
Thanks for the reply musicman.

I've just tried the 2 solution again...seem to be going backwards - recording midi and audio ok - audio playback ok - but midi playback NOT ok

1. Midi track - input all, output (2 options here - Predefined > Moog Sub 37 or the Audio track below) - tried both

2. Audio track - plug-in Moog Editor, input sub 37 line, output aux track

It just seems strange to me that the Instrument track way would be an easier solution and it kind of half works. I've also read in a couple of places that it should work ok. I guess the added complication is the Moog Editor part - it's not a soft synth plug-in, but I'm trying to make it one.

It's things like this that put me off using external synths - it gets in the way of making music...once I get my template set up and working I'll be fine...
Try not using the editor especially considering it's not a soft synth anyways. I have the editor for my Voyager and would never run it inside PT. It's difficult enough to get it to play nicely with the Voyager in standalone mode.

Drop using the editor and go to the separate MIDI and audio tracks.

QAPLA!
Old 04-28-2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazblake View Post
Hi Stig - please let me know your ins/outs for each track and where your Moog Editor plug-in is? Rgds, Gary
I've just installed the Moog Editor, and I have it on an instrument track with a preamp as audio input. It works just fine here.

EDIT: I would still opt for using an instrument track for the ME plugin, but use a separate audio track for the reasons I mentioned earlier.