Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Default help - can't record Structure Essential instruments

hi, i tried to record some Structure Essential virtual instrument but it didn't work. i opened new session, new audio track (instrument) and insert plugin Structure Essential. when adjusting the volume in the mix window of record enabled track and during recording it normally plays, but it doesn't record anything.
i play by clicking mouse, so i don't have any input, but if it is possible to play by mouse it should also be possible to record what i click, shouldn't it? thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Re: help - can't record Structure Essential instruments

Well he's not using midi which is the problem; he's just tryna record via playing notes from the mouse on the UI keyboard; thatz not how midi is intended to work; that just lets u preview what u have...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Well he's not using midi which is the problem; he's just tryna record via playing notes from the mouse on the UI keyboard; thatz not how midi is intended to work; that just lets u preview what u have...
that's right - I use mouse, everything seems ok unless i start recording. I surely choose an Instrument track, I can hear waht I play during recording but nothing records, no sound no waves
Old 01-03-2010, 05:54 PM

I guess he didn't get what I said when I said "he's using the mouse which is the problem"...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 PM

if i had a midi keybord of course i'd better use it instead of mouse, but i don't have, i just need a few sounds, it's useless for me to get some MIDI keyboard for the purpose of a few sounds...and Keybeeetsss guesses right that i didn't get what he said when he said "he's using the mouse which is the problem"...what is intended to say by that?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Hi,

hum, last post from Mars, I know... (mars 2010, not the planet...)
But I faced the same problem... I just began to dig PTessential this week so...

The solution to this is not in being taken for a complete dumb ("you're using your mouse?? poor man..." ;-) ) by someone, but this :

You can not record the Structure Essential instruments like you're trying to do. The keybord you're seeing when you select your virtual instrument can make sounds, but it is not as if it was the input of your instrument track.

-Once you've selected the instrument you like (ex:CLAVINET!!!!!), return to the edit window, drag the track down to make it big.
-Select the track display option : change it for "notes" (it is usually set on "regions")
-If you look to the track, you can see a lot of horizontal lines. These are all the notes!
-All you have to do is to SELECT THE PENCIL TOOL!!!! (just to the right of th HAND tool) and click(to select the note)&drag(to specify the duration) ON the track, to set all the different notes you want to be played.

ex: you want your virtual clavinet to play c, you have to click on the c(on the track, not on the vertical keybord at the begining of the track), holding the button, and drag to tell PT how long you would have pressed the key on a real keybord...

Note:You don't need to properly "record" in this case. You just have to push play once you've put all your notes on the track.

Source : a very good answer I found on...Yahoo Answers :

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090730190709AAQLIz0

(As far as the overwhelming activity goes on on this little "pro-tools-essentials-you-know-the-extra-stripped-down-version-of-pro-tools-for-the-poor-and-noobs" subforum, I thought I could give an answer to this old post without risking the wrath of the thousands hidden active members of this sub forum...;-) if it can help somebody else one day...)