Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-06-2000, 08:19 PM

Default non-digi what do you use to edit your samples?

im sick of tweaking on little lcd screens.i want a program that i can use to load samples from, edit, and send to my emu esi4000. i tried spark but im not sure if i like it...i was recommend bias peak, but i need some feedback.

thanks
rusty
Old 12-08-2000, 11:08 AM

Default Re: non-digi what do you use to edit your samples?

If you have an extra PC or are using a PC get the 40 dollar program cool edit pro, it accepts 24 bit, and is a really precise sample editor. Also easy do do copy paste duplications in sample. Not possible on PT, well not easily possible. If you only have a mac get bitheadz Phrazer, this is a sample editor and sample sequencer, but I have never used check out the demo www.bitheadz.com

------------------
Switchcraft
Old 12-08-2000, 11:26 AM

I tried the phrazer demo but didnt get deep into it.word on the street is its kinda weak.supposedly alkali is better.I tried theyre demo too.I wouldnt know wich one to buy.
Old 12-09-2000, 01:17 AM

Yo General Lee...
You got the same set up as me, I'm using the esi4000 too and had a nightmare with spark, vst plugs is cool but the scsi didn't work reliably at all...But Peak has been rock solid since I started with it...usually I edit my samples in pro tools(so eazy) then take them into peak to send over to the esi4000, Peak is simple enough and a damn sight simpler than the primitive edit functions in the esi, I used software editors before I used a sampler so it was shockingly complex for me, I do hold respect though for all those before me that did wonders with this samplers edit functions....Anyways, for editing Peak is simple enough, holds many of the same key functions as pro tools, has all the things you need minus that confusing second overview window that spark brings up....yep I like it ...simple and I find peak totally relaible....I dont use it enough to go any deeper into it's working's as I do all in Pro tools first, but you can run audio suite plugs in there, as well as premier(not so hot looking from a distance) Thats the only bummer against spark for me, no VST, but at least it works nice and easy...
Hope i help ya,
I could do with some tips on tricks with the Esi's filters if you can reccomend me any easily!!
Cheers
dom
Old 12-09-2000, 01:27 AM

...oh yeah and re-cycles excellent for slicing up drums breaks into individual samples for your sampler, (sure you know that)...
Old 12-11-2000, 09:19 PM

peak 2.53 rocks - supports TDM and can slice like recycle
Old 12-12-2000, 08:52 AM

guys thanks for all the info. i did download
a peak trial version. it works great. the outs routed directly to the digi with out even setting it up! i've never been sterred wrong in this user group. quick queston though. the make bias peak le. whats left out. because alot of times "le" versions leave out stuff that i could care less about anyway. i.e. protoolsLE. does anyone know?
bias peak 2.5 vst-----369.99
bias peak le-----------49.99
the choice is obvious if it supports my sampler. by the way how do you get the audiosuite plug-ins from ptle into the audiosuite plug-ins in peak?
Old 12-13-2000, 01:17 AM

Well, Peak LE leaves out the sampler support for one. That of course totally blows it for your application (and mine). I've spent about 3 or 4 days with the Peak 2.53 demo. It's pretty cool. I've wrestled with it giving me SMDI errors transmitting to my E-MU Esynth. I FINALLY figured out that I can only transmit one selection from an active window. I'm not really sure why, but that's the only work around I found. I was trying to divide drum loops off of an audio sample cd that had several patterns per cd track. At first, I set loop points around one pattern and transmitted that selection to the sampler. When I tried to do the same thing to the next pattern (same window), I got the SMDI error. The solution was to divide the patterns into seperate regions and use the export regions to seperate windows command. Then I looped each pattern in a seperate window and transmitted with no troubles. My only dissappointment is that these programs are so expensive. I didn't know that Peak 2.53 would slice loops like Recycle. I don't think this is possible in stereo, but it's a cool feature nonetheless, and I'm interested if it has the "stretch" percentage like Recycle for adding realistic decay in slowed down tempos. I'll be checking all of this out tonight. I guess the key is that these programs pack more functionality than you might need at first, but you're bound to be pleased when you explore all that it can do for you later. One feature I'm particularly interested in is the ability to compile a playlist and burn it faster than realtime with plugins.

[This message has been edited by B-Bo (edited December 12, 2000).]
Old 12-14-2000, 08:00 PM

neumann, am I missing something. I can't see that Peak can slice like Recycle.