Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-29-2013, 07:09 AM

Default Omni Mic Pres phantom power only works in pairs?

I have just bought and installed an Omni HD Native system. It's great but I've come across a quirk with the phantom power on the mic pres. Basically I can only get a signal to pass from mic pre 2 on the Omni if I turn on phantom power for BOTH mic pre 1 & 2. This despite the link button being off. I find this a bit disconcerting although workable. Is this how the Omni mic pres are supposed to work? Or have I missed something with the set-up? Or is my Omni faulty?

I have set up the unit pretty much as the manual lays out for a simple stereo configuration. I reset the I/Os to default. I updated the Omni firmware to 2.10. FPGA 23 on a REV A board.

Can other Omni owners tell me if what I'm experiencing is normal Omni behaviour? Also, there's a strange falling sine wave sound emitted when switching the mic pre 2 power off.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Omni Mic Pres phantom power only works in pairs?

Yes, it is independent. I've confirmed it on my Omni, that the phantom power is selected individually for each pre. And it's stated in the manual on page 6.

So you should be able to do this, but I'm not sure what might be going on.

It might help to actually reset it to factory specs again (you can do this through the setup menu on the unit), and then do the firmware update again.

FYI, I have the latest firmware update as well.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Omni Mic Pres phantom power only works in pairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It might help to actually reset it to factory specs again (you can do this through the setup menu on the unit), and then do the firmware update again.
I followed your recommendations and reset the unit, updated firmware again and power cycled and hey presto, independent phantom power on each mic pre!

Thanks for the sound advice, 'tis greatly appreciated.