Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Default Midi Sustain Problem in Pro tools 12

SOMEBODY HELP!!! Whenever I record long drawn out notes with my midi keyboard they sound fine and record. BUT! When I play back the recording the notes are short stacatto! What do I need to do?!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Midi Sustain Problem in Pro tools 12

Can you verify whether or not Pro Tools is recording sustain info?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-25-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchins86 View Post
SOMEBODY HELP!!! Whenever I record long drawn out notes with my midi keyboard they sound fine and record. BUT! When I play back the recording the notes are short stacatto! What do I need to do?!
You could also check this:

Try 'Remove Duplicate Notes' in the Event menu. If it corrects the playback, it could be that PT is seeing duplicate midi ports. This happens with certain midi interfaces. Untick the culprit in MIDI Devices, and the problem should stop if this is what is causing your issue. If this solves your problem, you should untick the duplicate ports whenever you trash your prefs.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:45 AM

I am aware of this bug. It tracks fine, but on playback it does not work correct. Turn off the overlay (Midi Merge) option in the transport window. It works for me. But this bug does exist.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:50 PM

Hi all,
I'm new to the AVID tools and forum. I've been practicing music for over 40 years, but just recently bought the hardware to be able to record some of my songs, so this is fairly new to me.
I'm having the same sustain issue in that I can hear the sustain when I record and I can see it visually on the track, however I do not hear it during play back nor when I export the song. The only time I can hear the sustain is when I hold down the sustain pedal. So the only solution so far is to hold down the sustain pedal indefinitely which doesn't give the best effect as you can imagine.
I have looked through the Pro Tools manual and the online posts and have tried the "remove duplicate notes", using "midi merge options" (all options: Latch, Touch, or Latch until Next Event give the same result, whether midi merge is enabled or disabled).

My have also tried playing around with the various midi and controller settings on the keyboard itself without success. However given that I can hear it well in ProTools, I don’t think the problem is with the instrument.
My Interface:
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
- Focusriteusbininstaller4.36.5-612 (latest)
- AVID
- Pro Tools First (v2018.7.0)

Intruments/tools:
- Yamaha W7 keyboard (attached through midi cables), this is an older keyboard.
- Boss DR670 drum box (attached either through midi or jack for audio track)
- Behringer, XM8500 mike (attached through standard jack)
- Sustain pedal (standard Roland sustain pedal for pianos/keyboards)

For some reason, Sandra Lite didn't work (giving me blank screens), so I uploaded a POC report from Everest in *.pdf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Moe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EVEREST Report.pdf (675.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2021, 09:48 AM

CMD-P (Mac) or Alt-P (PC) is where you find the settings for controlling your sustain pedal.

Nothing intuitive about it at all. Took me a lot off digging to find the simple answer. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM

I've tried COMMAND P and nothing happened? Also having the same problem on ProTools 2020.11.0. The sustain pedal works when recording but while it DOES record the sustain info, I'm not hearing it on playback. I'm playing the whole part with the sustain down, but when I play it back, the sustain info has been recorded but I'm not hearing it. I've manually switched the sustain on in the controllers tab, but it plays back as if it's off. The only way I can hear it is if I put it in record and play it back while holding down the sustain pedal.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
You could also check this:

Try 'Remove Duplicate Notes' in the Event menu. If it corrects the playback, it could be that PT is seeing duplicate midi ports. This happens with certain midi interfaces. Untick the culprit in MIDI Devices, and the problem should stop if this is what is causing your issue. If this solves your problem, you should untick the duplicate ports whenever you trash your prefs.
I'm aware that it's been over 5 years since you posted this but I just wanted to thank you. Unchecking an offending MIDI device has solved this problem for me, it's just a shame that this is still an issue in 2022.7.

Once again, thank you!
Old 09-23-2022, 03:56 PM

This is the infamous "MIDI merge bug". Google for more info.