Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2009, 03:17 AM

Default Automating Volume Clicks

if I'm automating vocals on protools I often do it by highliting the word I want to have louder and then pull it up a few dB - the problem with this is that I get a click sound (like a bad cut without a crossfade) from time to time because the fader is going up to fast (there's no time to move up - the line goes straight up 90 degrees)
so if I move the left automation point a bit to the left side and the right one a bit to the right side the click goes away

now I saw in a video tutorial a guy doing the same thing (highlighting a word and move the volume level up) AND on his volume move the fade move wasnt straight up and back down 90 degrees - it was less which means he has not to do the additional adjust volume move steps to get rid of clicks which is great
so I thought there must be a trick to do that... and you can probably tell it to me?

hope you understand my post - my english is not very good

thx
Old 06-14-2009, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Automating Volume Clicks

I tend to do the following:

While you are looking at the Volume automation, make a selection that is a little larger than what you want to boost or cut.

Then hit Command+/ (This will make two break points)

Make the selection that you want to boost/cut (between those two break points)

Then hold Option and boost/cut to your liking.

PT will automatically glide the automation. The distance that your first selection is from the second selection will determine the slope of the glide.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 PM

ok thx - that works

but there must be another even easier trick to do it - just with selecting, pushing up the volume and thats it

nobody around here knows this one? kenny probably or crizdee?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 PM

I've been using "cut" or command + x (control + x for PC) for this lately. Something new I figured out.

Raise the vocal line to the desired level.

Now select a small section at the transition and hit cut.

Do the same for the back end transition.

Experiment with how big of a glide you need.

I've never heard a click when doing hard automation edits though. I use them for De-essing all the time.

I use the cut trick more for transitioning sections.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 AM

cool thx kenny - I still think there is an easier eway to directly raise or pull down the volume with the same effect all in 1 step...
Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter99 View Post
cool thx kenny - I still think there is an easier eway to directly raise or pull down the volume with the same effect all in 1 step...
Hi,

As long as the break points are beyond the boundaries of the region there should be no click!

or are you automating a bus after the track?

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter99 View Post
I don't think so.

What you saw was maybe:
option+click/drag selection

the resulting volumes glides are up to the next breakpoint, which is a mess in most cases.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:54 AM

Another possibility is that you saw the transition at sample level, which isn't 90 degrees?

If you've got QuicKeys you could program it to narrow the selection in one go (i.e. 100 ms nudge value):
  • Shift-Option-plus to nudge selection start forward
  • Shift-Command-minus to nudge selection end back
So, make the selection slightly wide and hit Command-/. Then hit the hot key for the QK string of commands. Now you simply Option-trim the selection up/down.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 AM

Or you could use the pencil tool to draw that automation.