Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 AM

Default experiences with Roland EV 5, M-Audio Exp Pedal or Korg EXP 2 as pedals w/ 11R?

I'm looking into a new expression pedal to use with the 11R. I want a light one, not one of the heavier metal ones. Does anybody have experiences with the three mentioned (those are the ones that are available here):
Roland EV 5
M-Audio Expression Pedal
Korg EXP 2

I've seen Sean Hailey use an M-Audio in a video, so that seems to work. Any other comments? I appreciate your help!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Default Re: experiences with Roland EV 5, M-Audio Exp Pedal or Korg EXP 2 as pedals w/ 11R?

The M-Audio one worked great for me, and that was even before the firmware update that allowed more specific calibration for pedals. And it's pretty inexpensive.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Re: experiences with Roland EV 5, M-Audio Exp Pedal or Korg EXP 2 as pedals w/ 11R?

I have been think about getting a M-audio. Based on the reviews they work well with the 11R, but seem to have review that the construction is cheap, but what do you expect for $30. I think all of these are about the same in quality so I would choose the m-audio for price. I will probably get one to suppliment my GSP as a midi controller as I would love to have two expression pedal.

I like these light pedals for portability. But, I wish the expression assignment could be changed by patch so in one patch it could control the wah and in another the volume. It would nice to have that option for quick, light, easy, mobile jam sessions.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 AM

I'm pretty sure you can change that with patches. I don't have the rack anymore, but I'm pretty sure you could do that.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 AM

I believe you can only change what FX it control, not volume vs. fx
Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Opps, my experience has been with a midi controller, not using the exp jack. I see that it will work. I guess I will be buying the m-audi today!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 AM

do you guys have the link for calibrating and expression pedal?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 AM

It does work on a per-patch-basis. That's how I did it with the pedal I leant from a friend. I have assigned volume to the pedal on most patches (and moved the volume pedal block after the amp, but before the time-based effects which allows to create wonderful violin-like fade-in sounds) and the wah to the pedal on a few others. I could even assign other effects parameters if I wanted to. The 11R is pretty versatile in this regard.

@ voma79: in this Youtube video they're explaining the calibration settings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qncD2NB0dk. And Sean goes more into detail here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ugBnP_o5I
Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 PM

I have the Roland EV 5 and the M-Audio Expression Pedal.

I have to say that I was never thrilled with either of them. I like the compact size and light weight, but the way they respond just feels odd. I don't know whether that's a mechanical thing (they both have a very short throw) or something to do with the taper of the pot in each one.

I did set up the 11R for the specific pedal in use, and I did calibrate the pedal. I even tried using using other settings regarding pedal type. I never did find anything I was really happy with.

Don't get me wrong: they work. It's just that it feels like most of the change is confined to a fairly narrow range of travel.

I dunno... Maybe there's a consistency problem from one instance of the these pedals to the next. Other people seem to be OK with the way they work.

I really like the way the expression pedals work on my FC300. Maybe I should try plugging the EV-5 and EXP into the floor controller and see whether that helps...
Old 03-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Ok, let me give you a short feedback on the test I ran the last two days: I ordered the following pedals:
1. M-Audio
2. Yamaha FC-7
3. Korg EXP 2
4. Roland EV 5

The most important thing first: all pedals work with the 11R, calibration works as well with all of them ;-)
The second most important thing next: they all work...but not equally well ;-)

The M-Audio is very light-weight and compact, it's made of plastic. It has a fixed cable (so if that isn't long enough you're lost unless you open it and solder a different one to the pedal - the factory one is 1,8 meters). It has a polarity switch and a control for the minimum value.
The 11R offers a setting for the M-Audio, so proper calibration is a snap.
I like the pedal for its compact size and light weight, since I want to store my exp pedal in the rack with the 11R, not separately. It might not stand heavy-duty stage performance though.

The Yamaha is the opposite approach to the M-Audio: it's big, heavy and rather solid (even though not made of metal). The footprint is a lot bigger, so if you're wearing boats for shoes, this is your pedal. If you need to perform in a phone booth, go for a different one. The cable is just 1,5 meters, so way too short (you can see from that detail it is aimed at the keyboard players mainly).
The Yamaha contains a little tool to change the pedal's angle. You have to loosen a screw on the bottom and reposition a small piece of metal. However, I couldn't get that to work.
The pedal itself is nice, works well and has a cool solution to store the attached cable inside. The control is pretty hidden inside and might be safe of moisture and dirt this way. Quite robust, all in all.
The Yamaha also contains a feature which obviously emulates something like the after-touch found on touch-sensitive keyboards: after you've pressed it down all the way there is room for a "little more", and the pedal will automatically return to the previous position once you release it. Doesn't work with the 11R, though - but might be good in conjunction with keyboards.

The Korg was my biggest favourite when I ordered it - it has an orange label and comes with an orange cable just suiting the 11R. So I chose that one. No, just joking.
It is lightweight and compact, even a little smaller than the M-Audio. And what's really cool is that the cable isn't attached to the pedal, but it is a simple stereo cable you plug into one of the jacks. So: if you break it or you wanna move your amp over to the bad bass player's side of the stage - no problem. Every stereo cable is accepted.
What's also really cool about this pedal is that it can work as a regular volume pedal as well. You can connect it just like your traditional Ernie Ball or whatever: guitar to input of pedal - output of pedal to amp. It even has stereo outs so you can drive two units from one input.
However the feel of the pedal is less comfortable than the M-Audio. You can hear the parts moving inside, it has a "toothed" rack that you scroll up and down on (are you understanding me? I don't know the proper wording in english...). This looks and sounds a lot more fragile than the angled and screwed construction of the M-Audio.
I already owned a pedal constructed like the Korg and it survived a month or so.
Due to that cheap construction the Korg is out of the race - although the other features are great - and the colour is cool!
The Roland EV 5 is like a Mercedes in this lineup. It works perfectly, no noises, no cheap construction, control is capsuled, minimum value control, small footprint just like the M-Audio, light weight (a little heavier than the M-Audio). Cable length is 2 meters, cable attached.

After checking all pedals, I decided to go for the M-Audio (35 €). It feels very well, doesn't appear too cheap and fragile, it is lightweight and small (as I wanted) and works perfectly with the 11R. The Yamaha is too big and heavy for me and the cable too short (59 €), the Korg is a clever-designed pedal, but a little too fragile and too expensive for that (69 €), the Roland is cool but too expensive (68 €) as well.
If only the M-Audio came with a jack and separate cable instead of the attached one - this would make it perfect.
The log/linear switch in the pedal settings of the 11R makes it easy to adjust the "feel" of the pedals to your preference, I would be able to work with all of them. But the M-Audio just runs a little smoother and easier than the rest.