Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Question 11r mutes randomly

I use 11r in a live setup as a standalone device from main L/R to PA. I've been quite happy with it nearly a year. Now it suddenly started to mute the sound in the middle of the playing. Nothing helps but a power up or switching patch via midi. And then we go again another 2 to 20 minutes.

Does anyone share this sort of experience? Symptoms seems to be a bit different from 44.1kHz problem.

Many thanks, Jukka
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Re: 11r mutes randomly

No, iv never heard of this.

However, my eleven rack tends to do something that may be significant to your problem, and that is that every few hours my eleven rack's noise gate just glitches and turns off (as in it allows signal to the monitors). It doesn't matter if, when it is glitched, you change the threshold to 0 dB. It stays glitched out until a guitar is plugged in and strummed, or the unit is restarted.

Your noise gate could be glitching in a similar way mine does, except it stays on rather than off.

Hopefully I helped in some way.

Try disabling the noise gate completely and see if it still mutes.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Do you have the "knob action" set to "jump" (as opposed to "capture")?

(Not sure of the exact terminology, but you'll find it if you look at the global options...)

If you do, and the amp is displayed, and the physical knob that controls the volume is turned all (or most of) the way CCW, this could cause the symptoms you're experiencing.

IME, the "jump" setting is not useful. It's just too touchy.

Another possiblity: Could some device in your MIDI chain be sending a message that the 11R interprets as a mute command (or some other command that breaks the signal chain, such as switching the input source away from guitar)?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Thank you for your answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
Try disabling the noise gate completely and see if it still mutes.
Nick
Noise gate has been selected off for most of my patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Do you have the "knob action" set to "jump" (as opposed to "capture")?
If you do, and the amp is displayed, and the physical knob that controls the volume is turned all (or most of) the way CCW, this could cause the symptoms you're experiencing.

Another possiblity: Could some device in your MIDI chain be sending a message that the 11R interprets as a mute command (or some other command that breaks the signal chain, such as switching the input source away from guitar)?
I have to check this "knob action" though all the volume controls of my patches are above 10 'clock position.

I run Rocktron MIDI MATE to control patch changes and effects of 11r. This is the only device in the MIDI chain, so if Roctron works as it should there should be only midi messages when I press a button. But muteing of the 11r happened when I did not step on the MIDI MATE buttons.

After all this defect might have something to do with 44.1kHz problem. The last couple of times when this muteing happened the 11r has been in cold temperature in the trunk of my car for about 30 minutes before playing. Now I could not reproduce the problem when the 11r has been in room temperature overnight.
I have to test this temperature thing too.

Jukka