Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Default Drum Program With New Rig

Hi, I am installing Pro Tools 8.0.3cs2 on my new 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro with an Intel i5 processor running an MBox 2. I am looking to add a drum program to my system and wondered if there are any programs that you guys would recommend/avoid for running with this brand-new setup. Also, I ran BFD Lite on my old rig and found the drums to sound really fake (especially the cymbals). Are the newer versions any better sound-quality wise? If you have any recommendations as far as other programs that sound great and can be controlled via midi and without midi that would be great too. Thanks!
-Jack
Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Drum Program With New Rig

Oh yeah, I thought that I should mention that I'm especially interested in drums for classic rock and funk. Thanks in advance,
-Jack
Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM

You might check out Superior Drummer 2.0. They're running a special right now where you get that plus one of the expansion packs for $249. The "Custom and Vintage" pack would probably be the one to choose based on what you mentioned.

You also might check out Abbey Road 70's drums from Native Instruments.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 PM

There are many plugins out there that focus on killer drums----are you wanting just samples or do you also need pre-done rhythms and loops/patterns? I own...well...everything, including the top Ocean Way drums (which are amazing!!!!!) but I must go on record to say that SUPERIOR DRUMMER is my personal favorite. It's a very stable plugin that is simple and makes sense---yet it is also quite powerful and capable of doing anything you need it to do. The sounds are excellent, the CPU useage isn't as intense as some others, there are many sounds to expand with and grow from/to, and all in all it's just a killer plugin that is quite affordable.... I have recommended this to my clients using other applications that were more money (And they didn't like) who have stated the same above that I am making claim to myself. It's a great plugin, I do recommend it.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM

I definitely want pre-done rhythms and loops and samples too. I am also looking for a program that has EQ and compression taken care of already because I am pretty good with sculpting guitar tones but have little experience with engineering on drums. Is the offer just from musician's friend or could I get it from Guitar Center? Has anyone been running Superior Drummer on the 8.0.3cs2 or on OSX 10.6.3? Thanks for your help guys,
-Jack
Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 PM

You cant go wrong with Digidesign Strike. I got em all, (Battery, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, Strike, BFD, and a few more) I just really like Strike and it works great in Pro Tools. Superior Drummer does have a great interface though and sounds great as well. EZ Drummer maybe easier for you to learn. but check out Strike, I think you will like it.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 AM

Superior Drummer does come with a MIDI player with over 10,000 loops and rhythms----or is that 10,000 measures? Anyway.....
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
but I must go on record to say that SUPERIOR DRUMMER is my personal favorite. It's a very stable plugin that is simple and makes sense---yet it is also quite powerful and capable of doing anything you need it to do. The sounds are excellent, the CPU useage isn't as intense as some others, there are many sounds to expand with and grow from/to, and all in all it's just a killer plugin that is quite affordable.... I have recommended this to my clients using other applications that were more money (And they didn't like) who have stated the same above that I am making claim to myself. It's a great plugin, I do recommend it.
+1

Awesome plugin.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 PM

It looks like one of my local guitar centers is willing to give me the same deal the Musician's Friend has right now so I might go pick up the box for the program tonight. I'm psyched to try it out.