How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2001, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Monitors

Thanks for your comments.
What's the reference prices for each unit ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Fabi:
I use M&K 2510P Powered Monitors in a 5.1 setup Studio B. M&K 2510P Powered and modified Dynaudio's with a Bryston 4B in Studio A (Music Studio). Love the detail of the M&K. However, they need a Subwoofer (which I obviously got). I also have a pair of Genelec 1030 for smaller near filed applications.

Old 02-24-2001, 08:06 AM

lukemaniak,

What makes you think Yamaha is going to discontinue the NS-10? Every pro recording studio in the world has a pair or more.

sm
Old 02-24-2001, 08:31 AM

Steve, it's true....

http://www.harmony-central.com/News/...continued.html
Old 02-24-2001, 10:19 AM

thx The Fly

Felix, I beliave that the msp10 will be the "replacement" to the NS 10, not the msp5.
Msp10 are desinged for pro studios, while msp5 for project studio. But I can say, IMHO, that you can cut and mix an entire album with msp5. Msp5 will not limit your talent....no compromisse.
But don't forget, I will say again, if you have the budget go for the GENELECS !!!!!!
Old 02-24-2001, 10:25 AM

Plus, Genelecs are much more confort to my ears than the Yamaha line.
I can work 12 hours without ear's fatigue and still have control from what my mix may sound on ordinary home consumer systems... sweet.
Old 02-24-2001, 09:43 PM

We use the Mackie HR824's, and we love em!
We figured for the price, if we didn't like them, oh well, we'd learn our lesson, and buy expensive. But once we started using them, we felt so comfortable, we don't want to change. We bring them with us to other mix rooms. I wouldn't use a mackie board for a professional recording, but the monitors sound great.

Turn Me Up!™ – Sign Up Now to Bring Dynamics Back to Music (www.TurnMeUp.org)
Old 02-25-2001, 04:10 PM

I've been using the 1031a 's (and the1092 sub (turned down, very discrete)) for two years now. From the start I realised how good reference theese monitors throw.. Only recently did I come to think of the fact that: Since I got them, I have not once felt that my ears were tired! If you have a large room, forget it, but if you have a smaller room, they are excellent. I will not argue that they are the best speakers, they are not. But they land very good right smack in the middle of all different program one has to(?) listen to.

The 1032's however, I don't like them at all, personally I think there is a spectral lack of balance in the low mid. But that's me.

------------------
[HYPERSONIC]

[This message has been edited by [Benjamin] (edited March 14, 2001).]
Old 02-28-2001, 08:36 AM

I had two years with the Mackie HR824 before beginning a search for an additional reference. The goal was to not only find a second reference point, but to find what I condider a more honest midrange, and a bit less low and high frequency hype than the Mackie presents. The intent was not to replace, per se, the Mackie. I'm still looking, but thus far my findings, ie opinions, after two or more days with each monitor in my control room are:

1) Fostex NF1-A: Superb detail, midrange clarity. Humiliates the Mackie in these areas. Problem: EMI filtering lousy on this early example, require a subwoofer for meaningful monitoring below 60-70 Hz.

2) Fostex NF1 Unpowered: Lousy, none of the above good qualities when driven by a Bryston 4B.

3) JBL LSR28P: Balance and presentation in same ballpark as Mackie. Inarticulate bass by comparison.

4) Dynaudio BM15a: Highly analytical and unflattering. No fun whatsoever to listen to. If it's there, you'll hear it. Absurd levels of midrange detail. Abbreviated higher frequency response, translates to bright mixes in my hands. Spatially revealing, but presents an oddly encapsulated soundstage. I now own these $2600 per pair monitors and wish I could return them. A very high quality instrument, but I don't like using them.

My $.02, as goes without saying. I'm pursuing KRK E8, and wish I could hear Genelec 1030,1031, or 1032.

John Caldwell
Old 02-28-2001, 03:49 PM

Anybody know anything about the KRK V8's? I'm very unhappy with my Genelecs - I feel the emperor has no clothes when it comes to them, especial at #3k!
Old 03-02-2001, 06:08 AM

Truth Audio TA1P are some totally amazing speakers. I first saw them at summer NAMM in Nashville. The constant crowd of people first drew my attention. After listening myself for about 30 minutes with my own reference cd that I just happened to have, (which I have listened to on several high-end systems) I was blown away by the unbelievably accurate bass response I was hearing. Everybody was looking for the sub-woofer. It wasn't one. I purchased a pair. In my studio they rock!! I have several other studio owners who come by and reference their mixes on my system. It made me proud. The TA1P are a different sounding speaker, it took a minute to truly understand the accuracy of them, but after a few mixes, and then hearing those mixes every where else, including on the radio, I became a believer. That's my $00.02. Oh yea, I do use a Bag End ELF-1 processor with a pair of Bag End subs when I need to shake the room with volume, but
that's not my "normal" listening environment. Dynaudio makes an amazing product also, give them both a listen, compare price vs. sound, and YOU decide. Now that's my $00.03.

[This message has been edited by 24-7 music (edited March 02, 2001).]