How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2023, 05:03 AM

Default Mac Studio & Eleven Rack

Good day everyone!

I own an Apple iMac intel i9 (2019) and i use my Eleven Rack as a direct audio interface.

I 'am evaluating to buy an Apple Mac Studio with M1 Arm processor. I read in the forum that eleven Rack editor is not compatible.

Editor aside, can eleven rack record audio and be used as a direct audio interface with apple silicon?

If it is not possible, could you recommend me an excellent audio interface compatible with mac studio where I can connect my eleven rack?

My only requirement is to record the guitar through the eleven rack presets.

The audio interface can have a transparent sound.
I'm already happy with the sound of my 11R and I don't want to "upset it"

thank you!
Old 08-24-2023, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Mac Studio & Eleven Rack

At the moment the 11rack doesn't have a driver if you are on Monterey or newer. It's a damn pity since the machine is still useful. I am still hoping that before 2024 goes they will release a usb compliant driver so the future will be still usable as a basic interface. But as you already now AVID is synonimous with greedy and I am not expecting much from them.
If they would ask for a 20$ upgrade to the thousands of owners probably that would be feasible.

As it could be with the Command 8 issue on the native version of pro tools.

I have it too and I still like the guitar tones I get from it. So the only way is to have an audio interface with a decent converter or an AES/EBU or SPDIF input to connect it and record the audio into the DAW.

At the moment I find that Audient, Apogee and Motu offer the best interfaces. Focusrite is near but less expensive. All depends on budget.
Tell me your budget and I will suggest a good choice, based on my experience.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 08-24-2023, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Mac Studio & Eleven Rack

Hi welcome to DUC.

There is no Eleven Rack drivers available for any Apple Silicon Macs. The driver would have to be ported to Apple Silicon, and significantly updated. I personally have zero expectation of that happening, regardless of past rumors. I run my (multiple) Eleven Racks outboard on RME interfaces.

If you want to use the Eleven Rack outboard on another interface the minimum I would look for is an interface that has a coaxial S/PDIF or AES/EBU digital output and inputs (for reamping). And while you might not think you want anything else now you might well do in future so something maybe with some additional preamps.

Those digital IO features are already enough to help you narrow the choices, and if you look at USB or Thunderbolt interfaces on major reseller websites like Thomann (Europe) or Vintage King or Sweetwater (USA) you will see what is out there, Focusrite, RME, Presonus, Motu are some brands to start looking at. Not a lot of lower priced interfaces have S/PDIF or AES/EBU outputs and inputs. Prices and other features vary a lot, so as said tell us your price range and we can suggest ideas.