Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 and Mirroring Displays issue

Been using PT8 for about two weeks now and I'm really loving it. I have had virtually no problems with it. However, one issue I am having is the inability to use monitor mirroring on my G5. Doing so does strange things to GUI in PT8. Here's what happens:
  • The timeline text at the top of the edit window drops down into the first or second track and is all jumbled (when in the edit window).
  • Anytime I add a new track, it jumps to the top of the window and I can't name the track unless I select rename track in one of the pull down menus.
  • If I try and move a fader in the mix window, the fader jumps to it's most extreme value and freezes there (I'm unable to move it).

I use two displays (one in my control room and the other in the booth). I use this setup when I'm in the booth tracking drums, guitar, and vocals myself. I have a second keyboard and mouse in the booth as well so I have control of the computer.

I've successfully used this set-up since PT 5.1 so I'm a bit confused as to why it's not working all of a sudden. Anyone who uses this setup having issues? Anywhoose, here are my vitals:

Mac G5 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 2 gigs of Ram
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Displays:
Apple 23" Cinema HD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

NEC LCD1735NXM:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 and Mirroring Displays issue

I am seeing the "track jumping to the top of the list when mirroring" issue here. It's not just with new tracks for me, it's with any track selected.

In other words, or to put it in plain English, when I am in mirroring mode, any track selected in the session jumps to the top of the visible edit screen (not necessarily the top of the session). Again, this only seems to be happening in mirror display mode.

OS 10.5.7
PT HD ver 8.01 (have not tried 8.03 yet)
2 x 3.2 Ghz Quad Core Intel Mac
Some tricky display setup based on 2 displays but with a third and fourth display attached to splitter boxes.

The obvious thing seems to be to try 8.03. Just thought I'd post here, as I'd not heard any other complaints about a similar issue.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolford View Post
I am seeing the "track jumping to the top of the list when mirroring" issue here. It's not just with new tracks for me, it's with any track selected.

In other words, or to put it in plain English, when I am in mirroring mode, any track selected in the session jumps to the top of the visible edit screen (not necessarily the top of the session). Again, this only seems to be happening in mirror display mode.

OS 10.5.7
PT HD ver 8.01 (have not tried 8.03 yet)
2 x 3.2 Ghz Quad Core Intel Mac
Some tricky display setup based on 2 displays but with a third and fourth display attached to splitter boxes.

The obvious thing seems to be to try 8.03. Just thought I'd post here, as I'd not heard any other complaints about a similar issue.
You should definitely try 8.0.3 as it has many GUI redraw improvements.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Realizing this thread is old, but I just upgraded to PT8 and am having the same issues. At first it was only on the mirrored monitor (when I "un-mirrored" them it looked fine.) However, now it's bringing the glitch BACK to the main monitor after un-mirroring them. The suggestion to upgrade to won't work for those of us still on PowerPCs. Any other ideas?

I am NOT HAPPY.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Strange that no one has responded to this. I'm on PT 9.0.5 and I'm having similar issues. It's only when I turn on mirrored monitors (when I'm not actively using the 2nd monitor I turn mirroring off.) If I use the 2nd monitor without mirroring (for example to display lyrics for the artist) there are no problems. The only work around for the stuck fader issue is to adjust the fader on my control surface, but of course that defeats the purpose of having the 2nd monitor set up because I have to walk back across the studio. It's worth mentioning that these monitors are not the same specs. One is 1080p via HDMI and the other is SD via DVI. I have a Mac Pro 6 core and both monitors are running off of the one stock graphics card. When I turn on mirroring the resolution on my main monitor looks crappy (because it's automatically set to the resolution of the lamest monitor,) which I'm fine with because I'm then walking over to the vocal area where the 2nd monitor is. What I'm not fine with is the faders getting stuck, the scroll bars acting all whacky, etc. Has anyone addressed this issue?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Are both monitors running at the same resolution? Different resolution could cause the trouble. On my setup, I run VGA to the screen where I have the EDIT window. That way, I can use a VGA splitter and feed a second monitor in the next room(running the same resolution) which works fine. I would imagine that someone must make a DVI splitter for the same purpose(the VGA versions are less than $40).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave