Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb Pro Tools 9 Frequently Asked Questions

Pro Tools 9 Software FAQ

Q: What is Pro Tools 9 software?
A: Pro Tools 9 software is a new version of Pro Tools software that delivers a host of new features, including the ability to run standalone, on Avid hardware, or on third-party audio interfaces. Pro Tools 9 now includes an enhanced feature set including Automatic Delay Compensation, higher track counts, EUCON support, and more.

Q: Will there be a version 9 of Pro Tools LE software?
A: No. Pro Tools 9 is the next-generation replacement for Pro Tools LE software—a completely re-architected, open version that includes a variety of highly requested new features, plus functionality from previous Pro Tools LE "Toolkit" paid options.

Q: Will there be a version 9 of Pro Tools M-Powered software? (FAQ added 11/10/2010)
A: We do plan to continue Pro Tools M-Powered software development. At this time, however, there is nothing new to announce. As soon as we have more details we’ll make this information available to you.

Q: If I buy a Pro Tools LE system now—or just purchased one—am I entitled to a free crossgrade to Pro Tools 9?
A: Because Pro Tools 9 is a new Pro Tools product and not an upgrade version of Pro Tools LE, we will not be offering any free crossgrades to Pro Tools 9.

Q. I'm trying to purchase Pro Tools, but it's asking for my iLok ID. What's that? (FAQ added 11/22/2010)
A. Pro Tools 9 requires an iLok for authorization - the iLok will hold your authorization on the key, which can be moved between computers should you want to work on a different system. When making your purchase you will be asked for your iLok ID, which is your iLok user name - not the serial number from the iLok. You will need to set up an iLok account at www.ilok.com before making your purchase.

Q: If I recently purchased a Pro Tools LE software upgrade—how do I obtain Pro Tools 9? (FAQ added 11/9/2010)
A: Customers who purchased and activated the $149 (USD) Pro Tools LE software upgrade between October 4, 2010 and November 4, 2010 are eligible for a special promotional offer. Eligible customers will receive an email containing a serialized code good for one-time use on a promotional cross grade offer discounted at 60% off MSRP (~$99 USD).

Q: If I recently purchased a Pro Tools LE hardware system—how do I obtain Pro Tools 9? (FAQ added 11/9/2010)
A: Customers who purchased a Pro Tools LE hardware system can take advantage of the $249 (USD) software crossgrade currently available. There is no special promotional offer available at this time on Pro Tools LE hardware systems. However, customers who purchase a Pro Tools LE hardware system plus the Pro Tools 9 crossgrade will spend less compared to waiting to purchase a new system bundled with Pro Tools 9 in 2011. Please see the next FAQ.

Q: Will the Pro Tools Mbox Family ship with Pro Tools 9 Software? (FAQ added 11/9/2010)
A: The Pro Tools Mbox Family products (3rd generation Mbox, Mbox Mini, and Mbox Pro) will continue to come bundled with Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 software until the end of 2010. In Q1 2011 we will begin shipping Pro Tools Mbox Family with Pro Tools 9. At that time, the price of the Pro Tools Mbox Family line of products will increase, due to the added value of Pro Tools 9. If you’re interested in purchasing a Pro Tools Mbox Family product and using Pro Tools 9 software before Q1 2011, buy a current shipping Mbox family product that has LE bundled with it and take advantage of the crossgrade to Pro Tools 9. Purchasing and crossgrading today will cost less than waiting to purchase Mbox with Pro Tools 9 next year.

Q: So what will happen to Pro Tools LE software?
A: We will continue to support Pro Tools LE software with customer service (CS) updates, but will no longer be developing any new releases beyond that. We are offering Pro Tools LE owners the opportunity to “crossgrade” to the new Pro Tools 9 software for $249 USD (vs. paying $599 regular price for new Pro Tools 9 software).

Q: What is the difference in functionality between Pro Tools HD 9 software and Pro Tools 9 software with the added Complete Production Toolkit 2 option?
A: There are no feature/functional differences between Pro Tools HD 9 software and Pro Tools 9 software with the added Complete Production Toolkit 2 option.

Q: Should I consider purchasing the Complete Production Toolkit 2?
A: Complete Production Toolkit 2 is designed for Pro Tools 9 customers who don’t have Pro Tools|HD hardware, but want access to the features and functions found in Pro Tools HD software (such as 192 simultaneous tracks, up to 7.1 surround mixing, advanced automation and mixing features, and more).
Q: Is there an upgrade path for existing Complete Production Toolkit owners to get Complete Production Toolkit 2?
A: Registered owners of Complete Production Toolkit 1 will automatically be able to use the features of Complete Production Toolkit 2 when they work with Pro Tools 9 software, so there’s no need to upgrade.

Q: Will there be upgrade options for DV Toolkit 2 and Music Production Toolkit 2 owners to upgrade to Complete Production Toolkit 2?
A: Yes, there are two options for existing toolkit owners to upgrade to the new Complete Production Toolkit 2:
  • DV Toolkit and DV Toolkit 2 owners may upgrade to Complete Production Toolkit 2 for $299 (USD)
  • Music Production Toolkit and Music Production Toolkit 2 owners may upgrade to Complete Production Toolkit 2 for $1,599 (USD)
Q: I recently purchased one of the toolkits; am I entitled to any free upgrades? (FAQ updated 11/22/2010)
A: Yes. If you purchased and registered any toolkit from an authorized Avid dealer between October 4, 2010 and November 4, 2010, you are eligible to receive a free crossgrade to Pro Tools 9 software. If your toolkit purchase meets the qualifications above, and you register your toolkit between October 4, 2010 and November 11, 2010, you'll automatically receive an email with a free activation code and link to download Pro Tools 9.

Please Note: Authorized sales of the Music Production Toolkit 2, DV Toolkit 2, and original Complete Production Toolkit ended with the introduction of the Complete Production Toolkit 2 for Pro Tools 9 systems on November 4, 2010. Previous toolkit products purchased after that date are not eligible for a free upgrade to Pro Tools 9.

Q: If I purchase the Complete Production Toolkit 2 new or as an upgrade, does that purchase include a free upgrade to Pro Tools 9? (FAQ added 11/22/2010)
A: No. Pro Tools 9 is a separate purchase from Complete Production Toolkit 2.

Q: Is there a version 9 of Pro Tools HD software?
A: Yes, and registered owners of Pro Tools HD software will have the opportunity to upgrade to Pro Tools HD 9 software for $349 (USD). (Limit 1 Upgrade per Core System.) Pro Tools HD 9 software includes many new features, as well as the ability to run the software standalone—without your Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Native hardware (some feature limitations apply when not attached to HD hardware). Keep in mind that you’ll need to still attach your iLok to your computer to run Pro Tools HD 9 software standalone.

Q: What is required to purchase the Pro Tools HD 9 software upgrade? (FAQ updated 11/29/2010)
A: The Pro Tools HD 9 software upgrade requires both of the following:
  1. Your Pro Tools|HD Core card serial number
  2. Your Pro Tools HD 7 or 8 iLok license
Registered owners of Pro Tools|HD systems are eligible for 1 upgrade per HD core system. During activation/registration of the Pro Tools HD 9 upgrade, you will be asked to provide the serial number of your HD Core card:You will also need to have a Pro Tools HD 7 or 8 license on your iLok account. If you are registered for Pro Tools HD 6.9 or earlier and do not own a Pro Tools HD 7 or 8 iLok license, please contact Customer Service for further assistance.

The Pro Tools HD 9 upgrade license requires surrender of your previous Pro Tools HD iLok license. The new license replaces the previous license with a single bundled license that contains authorizations for Pro Tools HD 9 and Pro Tools HD 8 (and Pro Tools 9 with Complete Production Toolkit 2 features when using your license on a system without Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Native hardware).

Q: I just purchased a new Pro Tools|HD system that came with Pro Tools HD 8. Do I qualify to receive Pro Tools HD 9 software for free?
A: Yes. If you purchased and registered a Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Native system on or after October 4, 2010, you are eligible to receive a free upgrade to Pro Tools HD 9 software. If you’ve registered your system within this timeframe, you’ll automatically receive an email with a free activation code and a link to download Pro Tools HD 9.

Q: I’m a Pro Tools M-Powered owner—can I crossgrade to Pro Tools 9 software?
A: Yes. Registered owners of Pro Tools M-Powered software can “crossgrade” to Pro Tools 9 software for $349 USD (vs. paying $599 regular price for new Pro Tools 9 software).

Q: Does Pro Tools 9 Support Aggregate Audio Devices in Mac OS X? (FAQ added 12/1/2010)
A: Mac OS X device aggregation of audio I/O hardware is not officially supported in Pro Tools 9. While certain configurations may work, they were not tested and qualified by the Pro Tools development team. The only exception to this rule is the "Pro Tools Aggregate Device" that is created upon launching Pro Tools to provide users of built-in Mac hardware with simultaneous record and playback capabilities.

Q: Is Pro Tools 9 software compatible with VENUE systems? (FAQ updated 12/8/2010)
A: Yes, VENUE systems are fully qualified for use with Pro Tools 9.

Q: Can I install Media Composer 5 and Pro Tools 9 on the same system? (FAQ added 11/10/2010)
A: Co-Install is supported with Pro Tools 9 software and Media Composer 5 software. However, installation of the Avid video engine with Pro Tools is not supported in this configuration. A future version of Media Composer will allow co-install with Pro Tools 9 and the Avid video engine. For additional information on co-install compatibility:

More Information:

What's New in Pro Tools 9?
Find out about all the new features in Pro Tools HD 9, Pro Tools 9, and Pro Tools 9 with Complete Production Toolkit 2:
Feature Comparison Chart
How do Pro Tools 9 and Pro Tools HD 9 compare with each other and with previous versions of the software? Here’s a look at the software’s main specs, features, and compatibility across the board:
Product Section
Compatibility Information
Driver Updates
If you are upgrading to Pro Tools 9, please download and install the latest drivers for your hardware from the following page:
Pro Tools 9 Additional Downloads
HDpack, Mbox 2 Factory, 003 Factory, Producer Factory, Producer Factory Pro installers for Pro Tools 9:
Pro Tools 9 Documentation
If you do not have Pro Tools 9 installed, or want to view these documents from a system other than your Pro Tools 9 system, all of these PDFs are included in a single zipped download for Mac or Windows: