Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 01-11-2015, 11:53 AM

Default Pro Tools branded Apogee Quartet - Users, what is the verdict thus far???

I just learned of this and am intrigued. Can any Windows users with this comment on your experience with it? It can be used with Cubase and ASIO, correct? This would be great to also have ProTools when doing mixes with my studio buddy who is a PT user and gets so annoyed when he helps me mix on Cubase.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools branded Apogee Quartet - Users, what is the verdict thus far???

Is there not ONE single person who has bought this? I cannot find one person on any forum. I need to see how the ASIO performance is with using non-PT software, such as Cubase. Can someone at least direct me to a phone # or e-mail to contact someone from Avid who can answer these questions? I'm waiting to purchase this as soon as I can get answers.....but my confidence is not very high when I cannot even find one person anywhere who owns this package.

Thanks

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com

Sean Christopher - New Age composer
www.SeanChristopher.net
Old 01-13-2015, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools branded Apogee Quartet - Users, what is the verdict thus far???

Apogee doesn't support the device at all - Avid does. It's a mongrel. Do what you want but I wouldn't buy it. Avid's asio & coreaudio drivers are notoriously lousy and have been forever. Never worked correctly on various macs & pcs since way back in the Mix+ days.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Hilarious!!! I get my only response literally 15 minutes after I just ordered it. Of course, the music store called Avid for me and was told that the ASIO performance was stellar....but the again, that is expected coming from Avid. I guess I will soon find out when I receive it in a few days. I can't believe that Avid will not even respond to this though. Does Avid EVER respond to their own forum?

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com

www.SeanChristopher.net
Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
I can't believe that Avid will not even respond to this though. Does Avid EVER respond to their own forum?

No, primarily no...it's mostly users like yourself

There are a few chaps here that belong to avid and are helpful....

For what it's worth check the return policy before opening the box

It was a thread on here while back from a guy who owned an apogee and ran it with ProTools.
it was the prior generation to those that have just been released he said he was very happy with it, Quality, build, sonic character and the like
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:19 PM

Thanks Daniel!

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com

www.SeanChristopher.net
Old 01-16-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
it was the prior generation to those that have just been released he said he was very happy with it, Quality, build, sonic character and the like
+1
Great overall quality, exceptional sound quality, very simple yet smart, convenient hardware design.
Although officially an USB 2 unit much lower latency possible than with older FW800 gear like 003s,
64bit samples buffer can be used as a standard setting...at least with the Apogee driver on a Mac.

Hopefully the Avid drivers will be that cool anyway. Using one of the silver Apogee Quartets myself.

The very best of success to you. Cheers, VRW
Old 01-16-2015, 06:42 PM

OK, I finally got a chance to "play" with my new toy. The Quartet sounds great and seems to play well via ASIO (I will test the ProTools tomorrow). I do find it strange that you cannot mess with the buffer size at all via the Quartet IO software....which kind of sucks. It defaults to a buffer size of 64 I guess. Low latency is great, but what if I needed more ASIO performance in Cubase??? EVERY audio interfaced I've ever used would allow you to change buffer settings, so I find it bizarre that the Quartet doesn't allow this. Am I missing something here???

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com

www.SeanChristopher.net
Old 01-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Yeah seems weird but at 64 I don't think you should be concerned
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
OK, I finally got a chance to "play" with my new toy. The Quartet sounds great and seems to play well via ASIO (I will test the ProTools tomorrow). I do find it strange that you cannot mess with the buffer size at all via the Quartet IO software....which kind of sucks. It defaults to a buffer size of 64 I guess. Low latency is great, but what if I needed more ASIO performance in Cubase??? EVERY audio interfaced I've ever used would allow you to change buffer settings, so I find it bizarre that the Quartet doesn't allow this. Am I missing something here???
Iīm only on the Apogee Mac version of the Quartet but have double checked the manual
of the Avid version of the Quartet to be sure before writing here.

First of all of course you can change the buffer size from 32 to 1024 samples.
Second this canīt be done in the Pro Tools I/O software as this is not the place to change it.
Pro Tools I/O obviously is nearly identical with Apogeeīs Maestro software with one single
exception which is that it also works with Windows.

As far as I could see itīs exactly the same like my Maestro software.
In Maestro software you theoretically can change the sample rate but not the buffer latency.
Buffer latency you have to change via the playback engine of your DAW.

As it is identical to Maestro software as to the functions in PT I/O you set up all hardware
related I/O routings, the set up and assignment of all the knobs and functions of the
Quartet hardware and the low latency mixer for recording live sources (and if needed the
sample rate from 44.1KHz to 192 which under normal circumstances will be set up automatically
but additionally can be adjusted manually)

The buffer size is not meant to be changed via the I/O software, you need to to do it via your DAW.

Itīs been years since I used Cubase myself and I canīt tell you exactly how this is done anymore
but fact is itīs not the I/O software where it has to be done and of course you can change the buffer
of the Quartet (as mentioned before from 32-1024 samples).

If you find the right tab where to change it finally and it may not work anyway then unfortunately
it may be a driver issue of the Avid driver. The Quartet itself runs on several different buffer sizes
but the PT I/O software is not the right place to change it.

Wishing you the very best and hopefully you will find how to solve the issue, the Quartet itself will
be for sure a very nice piece of gear, I guess you will love it finally.

Cheers, VRW

Related links for Manual, drivers etc.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tet&popup=true
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...uartet-Drivers

Checked buffer sizes Apogee Quartet (Apogee version, Mac Mini i7 Quad Core):
Pro Tools 11... 32-1024 samples
Logic Pro X... 32-1024 samples
Izotope Ozone 6 standalone... 256-16384 samples
IK T-RackS standalone... 64-4096 samples

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.

Last edited by VRW; 01-17-2015 at 12:23 AM.