Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2009, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

The new box was assembled a few days ago and, against my better judgment, XP was installed on the 160 GB Intel SDD, along w/ PT, Ivory and Omnisphere so far...(in consequence of which the XP desktop stabilies on load after just 6.5 seconds counting from when the BIOS logo screen disappears and, more importantly of course, Ivory seems to respond w/ as little latency as playing sounds in local mode right off the master synth, anyway WAY less latency then the 400FW drive off of which the old G5 used to pull Ivory samples).

More to the point, w/ the HD cards installed in the "wrong order" (i.e., the core card was in slot #3, then #2 and #1 for the Accels) my old Mac sessions and even that Ballad Guitar template session installed with PT were causing -when a couple of Ivory's were loaded - XP's error message "PT not responding" occasionally (not on 36-ish stereo track session playback operations but, strangely, during inconsequential operations like "delete track")...

So I reversed the order of the cards (bec anyway, on the Supermicro board slot #1 is farthest from the cpa) and so far no XP hangs.... will get around to a Dverb test as possible...

I've got 3x 2 GB sticks of the Saumsung 1333 ram in there but XP reports only seeing 2.99 GB...anyway to jack it up...? (unfortunately, I had to get a 512 MB ram graphic card w/out which I couldn't seem to drive both a 30" and 24" monitor set up @ full res....)?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 PM

Ok, it's been a month and a half Kirkgale. How are your sessions going?
Any XP hangs? How about the Dverb test?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Well the Dverb test was never a high priority but I spent a lot of time hitting the wall on the typical PC memory issues (even w/ tweaking help on this group, the system inevitably crashes when VIs cause PT to reach about 1.9 gig of use; thats about 3 Omnis and 2 Ivorys meaning I cant compose on the system and so have been spending time beefing up my G5 and my gigasampler PC to run as slaved VI hosts; in the meantime, I also moved house/studio and am in love w/ a new 2 meter high server case into which all of the fan-bearer equipment has been dumped).

Otherwise, few complaints. Had my share of PT not responding when doing the simplest thing (like saving or deleting a track) if using some templates/songs created on the G5. But with a fresh template/song the systems record/playback functionality is acceptable up to as many tracks as I can shake at it (e.g., 40-ish stereo tracks).

If youre interested for a specific reason (e.g., planning to use the same Supermicro mobo), I can respond to your point(s).
Old 06-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Unhappy Re: Best Systems and Components for Win HD/TDM

Hello,

This is my HD-2 accel setup:

asus a8v-deluxe (has died)
amd fx-60
2x1gb ram
adaptec u160 scsi host adapter (pci-x)
hd-2 accel (pci-x)

My mobo has died. The problem start with the usb ports, not available, after that action, died!. My hd2 is pci-x 64bits. Could someone help me to get a new system????. I think that is not the best time to buy it, but I would like to use win-xp...What mobo must I get now?????

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Is there any performance or compatibility difference with the P5WDG2 WS rev 1.02G? I haven't been able to find a pro version and I really need to upgrade my HD2 PCI system. Any help in a HD2 PCI upgrade would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Hi all,

does anybody knows if there is some way to have both, HD2 core process PCI-X and Accel PCIe, together on the same machine (PC, PT8/HD), what configuration of PC do you suggest?
Thnx, Martin
Old 08-17-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkgale View Post
I've got 3x 2 GB sticks of the Saumsung 1333 ram in there but XP reports only seeing 2.99 GB...anyway to jack it up...?
Both Windows XP (32-bit) and Vista (32-bit) can only address approximately 3.3GB of memory regardless of how much actual memory you have installed. To address more than 3.3GB of memory, you are going to need the 64-bit version of Windows XP or Vista AND a 64-bit processor like the Intel Xenon. Of course you need a new motherboard for the Xenon and new memory (registered) as well. That being said, the Windows version of Pro Tools is not 64-bit capable, so your getting 64-bit Windows and 64-bit hardware won't do you the slightest amount of good. You're just out of luck if you need more memory, unless you want to move to the dark side and get a Mac.
www.ultrahighendforum.com
Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM

You can squeeze out a little more memory (about 2.5G) for Pro Tools HD8 by using the 3G switch.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:48 AM

Hi!
OK, time has come!
This thread needds a very serious update for page one. Yes, I am still around. I am also back on Windows once more (Who says once ya go Mac ya cant go back? ) However, I am NOT using HD... I am using LE, possibly M-Powered as well.

SO!

I would LOVE to update the front page with systems, but I have no idea what is working and what is not.

What I am looking for:
I need pre-fab systems. I would like to provide lower cost, mid-cost, and an all out "uber power, uber expensive" system. I need to know what you are using with it: I/O, what cards and how many you use, how many MAX it will use, etc.

Next, self-build. I need parts lists. I am only interested in Nehalem based systems at this time. IMO, unless I am completely in the dark, the single CPU and Xeon Nehalem based systems rule. An i5 based one would provide for a lower cost solution, while an i7 920 or better would provide for the more expensive side. Xeon Nehalem is the next step up.. Post guys maybe?

For now, if you can begin your response in this thread with:
ATTN: Nikki- system info
Then I can take it, attempt to verify, and eventually I should be able to have enough to do a proper first page edit. I would like to have a structure for the first page similar to what I created years ago. Until then though, what I can do is copy n paste.

Basically, take a look at the Windows LE section, and the stickies for the i7 systems thread, or other system building/buying threads. HD adds compat issues beyond what LE users deal with... cards need to clear components on the motherboard, proper power for the cards (unless you use "X" number of cards personally, you cannot always predict if the board can adequately power more than you have). So, motherboard, CPU, RAM, Power supply, etc. Even cases are important here!! Coolers for the CPU can play a HUGE part as well; case in point: Gigabyte EX58 UD5 and UD4 have the RAM sockets closer to the CPU socket than most others; so, a larger cooler (like a Thermalright, for example) with a Push fan aimed toward the rear of the case.. the fan will block the first RAM slot. Most modern RAM will have a heat spreader; Corsair, for example, will utilize a heat spreader that makes the RAM stick taller.. a no-go with that first slot blocked.

I will check back over the next few weeks and then try to have enough info to redo post #1 in this thread.. after Halloween, it will probably be awhile before I can find the time to do a nice page.

Help if ya can please!
Would love to pass the torch on this one...but not sure if it is even possible...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Can someone please help me out with a Pro tools HD2 PCI-E system setup. I want to build and i7 System that would best suit my HD2 PCI-E rig with no errors. Please let me know everything about your setup, greatly appreciated if someone can help me out.