Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2020, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
Correct, the MBP 16" and the new MacPro are the only two machines at this point that can only run Catalina and beyond.
I seem to recall that the tech demo of the MacPro was running ProTools Ultimate, many months before Catalina was stable, and months before Avid had Catalina compatibility. Protools couldn't even be installed on a Catalina machine when that demo took place. That would imply that Apple specifically coded a version of Mojave for the MacPro, or the drivers could be added to Mojave.

Or, it works just fine installing Mojave. I don't have one, so I can't try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Is this deja vu? I come back to the forum because I purchased an update b/c avid twisted my arm.....

and I see the same posts as 5 years ago......

The new update won't run on the latest apple release

I just got a new computer and I can't run the older software release...

OMG literally the same post for the last (more than) 5 years.....

I love apple products too, but this yearly cycle needs to stop.....they are narcissistic about their software......it's really the gist of the problem that users have....
Tech companies have seemingly determined that the rolling update is the best model to keep people hooked. Consider the way Facebook runs its updates as a model. It's a scary world were bugs are made obsolete rather than being solved.

Catalina is a disgusting strong-arm move by Apple to force companies into their way of operating. Apple obsoleted the codecs: it is up to third part vendors to find backward compatibility for what was part of the system 6 months ago. Apple could relax the security/notarisation issue for this whole release cycle so developers could focus on just getting 100% 64bit compliant, but notarisation, copy protection schemes etc. all require reworking to be compliant, all while dealing with new ways to access the system. Avid's products simply cover too much ground, even if you as an individual use only the 20% of the software that is relevant to your workflow.

The next OS is promising to be worse, with Apple changing the way system level drivers and kexts work from what I understand. Anyone manufacturing hardware and software will have a terrible year for compliance. Drivers that work for Mojave might require some level of 32 bit coding, while requiring 64 bit only for Catalina and beyond, while accessing different resources. Effectively there will be two versions of macOS for developers to code for once that happens.

Comparing PT and Logic in this scenario is relatively pointless. Apple don't have to make any hardware drivers work for Logic, as they rely on the third party hardware developers to do that piece of homework.

Apple are the evil party in this whole Catalina mess, not Avid. Avid and ALL developers are being forced to respond. Avid are trying to find ways to secure as much backward compatibility as they can to keep their user base's previously created assets usable. That is why 2019.12 only mentions partial compatibility.

I am completely happy to blame Avid for other things, but I find it distasteful to blame Avid for the mess Apple created in this case.

Anyway, just thoughts to add to the pile. I'm personally glad I'm no one's tech support.
Antelope Audio Discrete 8 SC
Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 PM

Ya'll ready KNOW what im gunna say, so i wont!!!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
Catalina is a disgusting strong-arm move by Apple to force companies into their way of operating.
I disagree. If Apple didn't make a clean break from 32-bit, we'd have to muddle though the transition for years to come. Cold turkey always works best.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
If Apple didn't make a clean break from 32-bit, we'd have to muddle though the transition for years to come.
Exactly.

And it isn't like we are forced to use Catalina now, even if your computer breaks you can still buy a refurbished Trashcan or something else that works with Mojave. Different story in 2-3 years, but at that time everything that is going to be 64-bit should already be 64-bit and what is not is left behind.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 AM

Default Pro Tools 2020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
Catalina is a disgusting strong-arm move by Apple to force companies into their way of operating. schemes etc.

Seems par for the course for awhile now, like as long as I can remember
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
If Apple didn't make a clean break from 32-bit, we'd have to muddle though the transition for years to come. Cold turkey always works best.
True. And they've provided ample time for developers to transition to 64-bit. People demand more/faster from Apple, so they must at some point unattach themselves from 32-bit if they're to please that group.

Abandoning the old to embrace the new is simply part of the business and all software & hardware companies are fully aware of the process. We can't make excuses for Avid.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:32 PM

So what about NAMM and the possibility of PT 2020.1 ??

Was 2019.12 a quick prerelease to ease the pain for the latest Macbook Pro 16” and new Mac Pro buyers and will we see the real feature release this NAMM? Or more realistically a sneak peek of the features of PT 2020.3 ??
Old 01-15-2020, 04:24 PM

Well, answering my own post

Greg Chin chimed in (rhyming here) for a sneak peek at the NAMM show and said “... we’ll be showing a brand new Pro Tools”. So it’s happening.

Hopefully some great new music features. Certainly some new hardware Will be announced that was covered up in the video with black cloth.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protootr View Post
So what about NAMM and the possibility of PT 2020.1 ??
Always a possiblity. Though last year the rumoured PT 2019.1 was first postponed to 2019.3 and later released as 2019.5 without HDX voice upgrade. So anything can be promised (with fine print telling us that whatever you see at NAMM is for demo only) and anything after the show either is released or not.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protootr View Post
Well, answering my own post

Greg Chin chimed in (rhyming here) for a sneak peek at the NAMM show and said “... we’ll be showing a brand new Pro Tools”. So it’s happening.

Hopefully some great new music features. Certainly some new hardware Will be announced that was covered up in the video with black cloth.
Where are you seeing this?