How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2023, 01:09 PM

Default Newbie Here: How to use vst plugins in PT 12 HD

hey all
first off, awesome community here,thank you all..
i'm using pro tools 12 HD and id like to be able to use my plugins i used on my old pro tools 8, is this possible?

thank you in advance

Mike
Old 01-21-2023, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Newbie Here: How to use vst plugins in PT 12 HD

Hi welcome to DUC.

What exactly do you mean?

VST as in VST format plugins?

Or VST as in lazy slang for a virtual instrument (VI)? If you were running RTAS format VI plugins in Pro Tools 8 you cannot run them in Pro Tools 12 which uses AAX-64 plugin formats. The best thing to do is likely find later versions of those RTAS plugins in AAX format. Some vendors may gave free upgrades, others you may need to purchase updates. Any current plugin claiming AAX support will be 64 bit and may run in Pro Tools 12, but the challenge is if the Plugin is compatible or not on the old operating system you might be running to support Pro Tools 12 (ah but I see you are on Windows... so really not near any issues that show up on Macs).

The RTAS to AAX transition happened about a decade ago, starting with Pro Tools 10, you can google search DUC or the general web and find lots of old answers to questions about plugins if you have more detailed questions.

My advice for people getting started is not to try to run a computer/DAW museum, instead get on the latest supported Pro Tools version with current supported plugins.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-21-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:33 PM

hiya Darryl, nice to meet ya
sry i'll be more specific, vst format plugins, i have purchased some new waves plugins (aax versions),but also jus realized im only renting them and ill have to renew in a year, i miss the days of actually owning software and plugins we pay good money for, instead of jus renting them. i use my system to record my own band, and were indie and don't make much $$ at all, so id rather use what i've already paid for in the past and know how to use.
I've seen things around that let you use older plugins with a plugin in PT 12, are these an alternative?
Old 01-21-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
My advice for people getting started is not to try to run a computer/DAW museum, instead get on the latest supported Pro Tools version with current supported plugins.
Normally your word choice is impeccable, but I think you mean mausoleum.

For the Original Poster, further to the sincere point: Eventually, there are so many things those ancient machines and softwares lose track of, getting a more up-to-date setup will be much more functional. Even if you have to re-learn some plug-ins after losing some that no longer work, your overall workflow and sonic potential would probably benefit more going new school than it would if you keep using ancient stuff.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 01-21-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir mega of mic View Post
hiya Darryl, nice to meet ya
sry i'll be more specific, vst format plugins, i have purchased some new waves plugins (aax versions),but also jus realized im only renting them and ill have to renew in a year, i miss the days of actually owning software and plugins we pay good money for, instead of jus renting them. i use my system to record my own band, and were indie and don't make much $$ at all, so id rather use what i've already paid for in the past and know how to use.
I've seen things around that let you use older plugins with a plugin in PT 12, are these an alternative?
But old VST format plugins would not have run with Pro Tools 8, well not unless you were using something like Vienna Ensemble Pro to host VST plugins for Pro Tools 8 (which otherwise will only run RTAS plugins).

With Pro Tools 12 you can use Vienna Ensemble Pro as a (remote) offload host, or BluCat PatchWork to host AU or VST plugins locally. But... esp. with VE Pro costs add up, it's real purpose is offloading work from the local computer. With a significant upgrade to Pro Tools 12 you are already facing a pile of potential issues/challenges that you have no idea about today and are making all that more complex by trying to do this. If you absolutely have to run a VST plugin today in Pro Tools BlueCat PatchWork is the place to start, but again finding native supported AAX plugins is better.

Many (most?) VI instruments worth owning are available as AAX today... or maybe saying that in a different way, most plugin vendors worth spending money with deliver all their products in AAX, VST (or now VST3) and AU formats for one purchase/price so you have flexibility and are not locked into any DAW vendor.

There have been many improvements in Pro Tools since the 6 years or so that Pro Tools 12 was introduced, including major improvements in AAX plugin processing.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
hey all
first off, awesome community here,thank you all..
i'm using pro tools 12 HD and id like to be able to use my plugins i used on my old pro tools 8, is this possible?

thank you in advance

Mike
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum; it's a serious repository of PT wisdom. As Darryl mentioned, 2 of the most popular VST hosts are Blue Cat Patchwork and VE Pro. For effects, channel strips, compressors, EQs, etc I would choose BCP, though it effectively handles VI's as well, using PT's allotted CPU power. VE Pro does the same, but IMHO it's better suited for VI's because it doesn't use PT's CPU power. On your VI channels, you can also use VST effects, essentially taking all that load off PT (even more effective if you have another computer running VE Pro). That second computer could be either PC or Mac regardless of what primary OS your DAW is on.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:24 PM

Although Waves offers monthly and yearly subscriptions to certain bundles (Silver, Gold and Platinum), it still sells perpetual licenses to all of its plugins, either individually or in bundles.

Which do you have?
Old 01-21-2023, 04:32 PM

only plugin ive bought so far is oneknob wetter and i beleive i bought a one year license
Old 01-23-2023, 03:25 AM

Quote:
If you just want to install your exact old PT8 plugins the simple answer is...no!

Just because the whole format for Pro Tools plugins has changed from RTAS (last useable version with these plugins was PT8) to AAX.
There is no way to use RTAS plugins on any later versions of Pro Tools.

There are basically things 2 you can do now (if you don't have the possibility to invest in a current version of Pro Tools etc.):

1) go to the manufacturers websites of your old plugins and check out

a) if there are AAX versions of these particular plugins which are still compatible with your version of Windows and Pro Tools 12.
...like mentioned by Darryl and the other guys already some of them you still might get for free but for many other ones you certainly will have to spend
some money on the new AAX versions.
b) if these manufacturers still offer VST versions of your old plugins you can download and use without having to pay upgrade fees. Which leads us to

2) invest $99.- to get the Bluecat Audio Patchwork plugin (which certainly will be more affordable than buying a new Pro Tools system and even buying
upgrades for all your old RTAS plugins) and use this plugin with the VST2 versions of your old plugins you still can get for free as well as
search the web and various renowned manufacturers for free VST plugins and VIs and use these via the Bluecat Audio Patchwork plugin in your PT12.

Honestly like you described your particular situation I think getting the Bluecat Audio Patchwork plugin for $99.- and using free VST2 plugins and VIs
will be the most sensible solution for you for sure.

You can get thousands of free VST plugins and VIs on the web and many of them are definitely useable and of decent quality if you know how to use it.
Further, like mentioned earlier, even many established manufacturers offer a couple of free plugins and VIs. Just go on a search and find free plugins
and VIs in VST format.

And, finally, don't forget to also use the stock plugins and VIs of your Pro Tools 12HD. These are certainly of professional quality as well and have been
used by pros all over the world through decades.

Maybe you cannot keep all your old plugins and you will have to learn some new ones but on searching for all the free VST stuff out there you certainly
will get to know new, interesting plugins and VIs which you may get even new inspiration and ideas from for your future musical work.

And, I hate to say it, but you should have taken yourself more time to check out what's going on on the Waves website. You don't necessarily have to get
on a subscription there but you still can buy single plugins from them.

Anyway. Take your time now and think about which way to go finally.
You of course can go ahead and buy a new version of Pro Tools and upgrade all your plugins to the most current state which will be the most professional solution.

If this is not possible though, check out the "Bluecat Audio/VST/free VST/VIs"-solution. It certainly could make sense for you.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...uct_PatchWork/

The best of success to you,

VRW