Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 AM

Default SSL Sigma ... Opinions

Hello Folks,

Does anyone have an idea about the SSL Sigma ??

Where does it stand compared to its peers ?

Avid Omni, Apogee Symphony, Apollo ?

Regards
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 03-31-2014, 05:21 AM

Default Re: SSL Sigma ... Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Hello Folks,

Does anyone have an idea about the SSL Sigma ??

Where does it stand compared to its peers ?

Avid Omni, Apogee Symphony, Apollo ?

Regards
I was going to say you're comparing apples to oranges but the units you're talking about are not even that close. The Sigma is a digitally controlled summing box and not a traditional ad/da converter like the Symphony, Omni or Apollo. The latter three units do not do summing and are NOT peers of the Sigma. You have to ask yourself what do you really want - analog summing or exactly what? Sigma does NOT do ad/da conversion.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 AM

I see ... just read about it ... so basically this box has got no I/O ?? only summing the digital tracks in my DAW to a final stereo/mono Track .. ?? why would I pay that much when I can render all those in pro tools ?
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e

Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I see ... just read about it ... so basically this box has got no I/O ?? only summing the digital tracks in my DAW to a final stereo/mono Track .. ?? why would I pay that much when I can render all those in pro tools ?
Depends on the sound you want. There are some that say mixing outside the box gives a more spacious sound than mixing inside the box. I'm not going to get into that argument one way or the other as enough emotion has been spent on that in the past so don't ask which is better. Google that for yourself.

The Sigma has no da conversion; you'd still need something like the Symphony ad/da converter box to get your digital signal out of the computer to the Sigma and back in again.

As to what your original question was before you edited your response - you have GOT to really read and pay attention to what a product is and does and not depend on someone to feed you the answer. You've evidently done some research but not enough on your own to answer as simple a question as what is the difference between the boxes. That becomes evident when all the information is read.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:55 PM

Musicman ... thanks a lot for the info ... just to put things straight I am a senior financial analyst :) the music is my hobby .. I never took courses or learnt anything about music production ... just by instinct and trial and error and asking in forums and reading and watching videos and tutorials I learnt ....
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1

Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Musicman ... thanks a lot for the info ... just to put things straight I am a senior financial analyst :) the music is my hobby .. I never took courses or learnt anything about music production ... just by instinct and trial and error and asking in forums and reading and watching videos and tutorials I learnt ....
Then you know about things like research and looking at ALL the data/info. Music being a business or not for you doesn't enter into the equation but knowing the equipment does and what that equipment does is important. You will have to learn about computers and hardware.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:44 PM

In fairness, it took me two or three reads of SSL's info and a ton of posts on another forum before I finally figured out what the hell the Sigma is and what it does, and I'm still not 100% sure I know what it's all about.

And I've been playing with recording and radio toys for...well, a looooong time.

Here's what it is...best I figure...

You're familiar with a mixer...with knobs and faders and stuff.

And...

You're familiar with control surfaces, that allow you to move real faders and knobs to make the faders and knobs on your DAW's screen move.

Now, suppose you took a very basic mixer, then used your light saber to slice off the faders and knobs (sorry, couldn't resist the analogy).

Then, you hook up the control surface to the now-mixette so that when you move a knob or fader on the control surface, it has the same effect that would have been had by moving the knobs and faders that were on the now-mixer until you sliced them off with your light saber.

Got it...?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-01-2014, 12:21 AM

yea ... the sound of the ssl mixer but with no faders and knobs ... but just using the faders and knobs of pro tools itself
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1

Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
In fairness, it took me two or three reads of SSL's info and a ton of posts on another forum before I finally figured out what the hell the Sigma is and what it does, and I'm still not 100% sure I know what it's all about.

And I've been playing with recording and radio toys for...well, a looooong time.

Here's what it is...best I figure...

You're familiar with a mixer...with knobs and faders and stuff.

And...

You're familiar with control surfaces, that allow you to move real faders and knobs to make the faders and knobs on your DAW's screen move.

Now, suppose you took a very basic mixer, then used your light saber to slice off the faders and knobs (sorry, couldn't resist the analogy).

Then, you hook up the control surface to the now-mixette so that when you move a knob or fader on the control surface, it has the same effect that would have been had by moving the knobs and faders that were on the now-mixer until you sliced them off with your light saber.

Got it...?
There is a ton of info out there and what Sigma is and does and like I tried to get across to DJ one has to carefully read everything about the unit before asking questions. Otherwise if you just go on a forum and start asking for answers to comparisons to other pieces of equipment and don't understand what a certain piece does you're taking a short-cut and not really learning anything. It's like using the Cliff Notes versions of a book for a book report versus actually reading the book. You don't really get the meaning of what the author was/is trying to get across.

QAPLA!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:00 AM

You can actually download audio examples of mixes done with the sigma at http://www.solidstatelogic.com/audioexamples/ There's also a video that you can watch if you haven't already that explains it pretty well.

Wave-T.com