How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Why do you use PT?

Hi!
I've seen a lot of debates over PT10 update, and how it takes time for PT to have features that were implemented in other DAWs for some time.
I started using PT mainly because it was easy to find material on the web on how to use it. I'm happy with it, but I would like to hear from you : why do you use it instead of other DAWs? Have you changed to/from other DAW because of some specific reason?

Peace!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Why do you use PT?

Personally, I find it to be more intuitive than any other DAW. Every time I sit down to Logic or Cubase, I get up in disgust and feel like an idiot. PT just plain works for me, and the others always feel like a royal PITA to use(granted, users of other DAWs may feel that way about PT). I started with PT as it was(and still seems to be) the defacto standard, so why not learn the DAW that is most widely used?!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Definitely the most intuitive daw (at least for me). Pro Tools has clear and very good workflows. Those can be easy or complicated as the project require it. And pt has been the most stable for me in the long run.
Of course, as you dig deeper, you start to love it.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM

One reason is, (as others have said) it is the most intuitive. The other main reason is that most of my clients and independent engineers that come here are Pro Tools savvy.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Intuitive is the world of the day, for sure.

I can't find another DAW that suits my workflow as well as Pro Tools.

The Mix window is a big deal for me, too. I feel like most other DAWs over-complicate the mixer section by trying to make it "modern" whereas Pro Tools' is straightforward and clean like a real mixer.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

Arrow Re: Why do you use PT?

Felipenoris
Well HD for the recording engineer is a dream. It has the best recording editing mixing performance there is. But LE and non HD versions of 9&10 are a lame, intuitive or not it lacks features that are key to making anything significant, especially compared to other daws of the same price. For the creative musician/small user it is a mismatch because of the lack of midi features. LE/non-HD 9&10 exists as a teaser to get people to buy the $8k pcie card. So know that before you getting too involved.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonsdca View Post
Felipenoris
Well HD for the recording engineer is a dream. It has the best recording editing mixing performance there is. But LE is a lame duck, intuitive or not it lacks features that are key to making anything significant, especially compared to other daws of the same price. For the creative musician it is a mismatch because of the lack of midi features. LE exists as a teaser to get people to buy the $8k pcie card. So know that before you getting too involved. So now you know why LE is made anyway, it is the intuitive way for Avid to sell it's product..
Yawn....

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:57 PM

I've begun looking at other systems due to what Avid is doing...some of the best luck I'm having is with Reaper and SmartAV controllers...very nice combination...and the price to move certainly rivals what Avid is going to charge me to upgrade my HD rigs! And MUCH cheaper on future upgrades...could be a complete win/win for me.

Point is, do a bit of research, there are very good alternatives. Hardware is no longer an advantage for PT since the power lies in the host system nowadays. Not to mention, even better workflows and features.

www.advancedrecordingstudios.com
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM

Two words: Post Production

I have PT10 with the Complete Production Toolkit and I honestly don't need anything else. I do projects as small as web videos and radio commercials to full 5.1 surround feature films all in the box. The workflow (especially editing) is easy and quick, the system is stable and I'm fully compatible with the other post production pros in my area (who are mostly running PTHD). I started out with the original MBox in 2004, moved to an MBox 2 Pro and now am happily using an 003 console. My 3 year old Mac Pro doesn't break a sweat on even my largest projects (okay, maybe a little when I start throwing several instances of IR360 on my reverb auxes). Pro Tools 10 added some really significant features for me and I was more than happy to upgrade as soon as it proved to be stable (which happened quickly). I guess you could say I'm a satisfied customer! I will not be as satisfied if my 003 really ends up not working on the next version of PT, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

Arrow Re: Why do you use PT?

John Toolbox
What division of tech support do you work? Are you on duc detail full time?