Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-12-2020, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools behind the curve?

I think in this day and age you’ll likely not find many who stick to one DAW. Pro Tools does what it does great! I’ll probably never mix or edit audio in another DAW as long as they stay relevant.

As far as midi, creating using VI’s, that’s always been the weakness of Pro Tools. Logic is completely focused on users being able to create an idea quickly. The mixing and audio editing is complete trash IMO

Ableton Live has become my creative DAW. Then I just dump into Pro Tools.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:53 AM

Same here
I didn’t want a “2nd Protools “
So ableton is a Electro creative daw

Prob can be a full daw for me if I worked it harder, but I’ve tried to finish full vocals plus track pieces in able and just feel like I can’t Wrangle gain staging etc
No playlists either in ableton , lots of things that are more internet electro type features which are weird if you need to handle Full band type work

I just have to leave it as akais900 on steroids and bounce it out To Protools
Which ableton has great bounce out choices Easy to stem everything in many ways

Have to say JJPuig said iableton was the Best sounding daw Said in a long huart vid in puig home studio

Def has a feel to it

On daws in general Lest we forget as music ppl:
If you run half a dozen rigs with editors sharing assets yes you might find One daw like Protools is easier than having 5 dif daws
And perhaps the subscription lets you scale up or back depending on the post production needs

The slowness for features and bugs is stupid tho..

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]

Last edited by Rectifried; 04-13-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:38 AM

I have recently jumped ship to reaper (well. In the process). Have been using pt for the past 10 years or so professionally.
I have gotten reaper to act so much like pro tools when it comes to editing and shortcuts that I can edit just as fast in reaper as in pro tools. And reaper can do tons more than pt can do.
PT def. feels like a dinosaur. A dinosaur that is good at certain things, but still a dinosaur. New things are added to pt that were new in other daws many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Yea PT is behind the curve but it still does some things the best like grouping and quickpunch.

That said, reading the sentence, “I've personally been using PT for over 18 years now and learning something new just wouldn't make sense“, makes me want to puke. I think we should all have the attitude that learning something new always makes sense. Artists, musicians, and producers have a constant need to always be learning new skills and techniques, so why not invest the time to learn a backup DAW? It will expand your skillset and it may even save you if you run into a show stopping problem with Pro Tools. With so many free and paid tutorials available online, there really is no excuse.
No need to puke. If you notice I said 'updating my studio' and 'buying Logic Pro X' as well. I've been "learning something new" and working in studios for the last 45 years as pro and came up the ranks with 2 track, 8 track, 24 track, adats, Digital Performer, Cubase, and PT 5 on and pretty much every other way of recording one can think of. When I first started playing with Logic Pro on my new system, I was really impressed. I thought for a bit that PT would take a back seat to it ... that is until I did my first vocal session. I got so frustrated with the way it punches in and out and relearning short-cuts that I already knew on PT like the back of my hand that I went right back to PT for the next song. I guess my real point by starting this topic is that more than likely pros tend to use PT because it's been the industry standard for a long time now. But the lines have blurred so much these days with home studios being able to do so much, if I was a kid again starting out, I'm not sure PT would've been my choice because I do believe in some ways it truly is behind the curve .... and the whole subscription thing probably would've turned me off.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:02 PM

I just dove into LUNA this past week and am fully committed to learning it AND switching thanks to avid motivating me into doing so by jacking up my annual fee.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmixer View Post
I can list about 10 plugins off the top of my head that cost more than pro tools
does. Yep Logic costs less than pro tools Luna cost even less than Logic too.
BTW where is Apple's phone number for Tech Support?
Yes Luna may be free but factor in the cost of having one of UA's dsp platforms as I understand it. PT rewards those who are willing to put in the time which sadly some of the younger crowd don't want to do. They want to instantly and easily do things.

TANSTAAFL

A couple of years back when Avid started the subscription nonsense I started learning Digital Performer. I put in serious time trying to grok the system and while certain things were 'better' than PT other basics like mixing were and still are a nightmare in DP. Things like with their next-gen pregen engine that looks ahead to process things versus running everything in real time. I'm not talking lookahead like with certain plugins like compressors but where the whole of the timeline is looked at for each track. Used to be there was an option to disable that globally but that went away so that now if you have a vi like BFD 3 and you have it's gui closed it runs in pregen mode and screws up the timing. So yeah other daws may have certain features that on the surface are neat be aware so that something like that doesn't come back to bite you in the arse.

QAPLA!
Old 04-13-2020, 05:19 AM

Is Pro Tools behind the curve?

Yes, yes it is.

Do I care?

No, no I do not. (YMMV.)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Is Pro Tools behind the curve?

Yes, yes it is.

Do I care?

No, no I do not. (YMMV.)
Yep don't care , and also depends on who's "curve" one is talking about ?

Now given my machine is stuck on OS Mojave, someday I may care, but that ain't today

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-13-2020, 09:32 AM

I can remember using the Scully 8 track with 2" tape back in the day. It was a university studio, which also sported a Moog and an ARP 2600, which is what I learned synthesis on. My first DAW/MIDI pc was one of the Atari ST's, which, at the time, was the ONLY desktop system with dedicated MIDI ports. We could do MIDI multi tracking with Dr. T's KCS. Later, a friend of mine helped me produce an audio recording of a pianist and we did it on Sound Tools (remember that?). For a while I used the earlier versions of Cakewalk, a brief foray with Voyetra. Then, I got into Pro Tools with PT 6.0. I've never looked back, and don't plan to. I've tried CuBase, Reaper, Reason, and Ableton along the way, but nothing comes close to PT for me.

If I were to use another DAW it'd probably be Reaper, only because it more similar to PT than most of the others.

I really don't care if PT is "behind the curve". Its not always about having the latest and greatest. Even with some of the ongoing bugs discussed many times over here, PT is still the best out there!

Old 04-13-2020, 10:18 AM

Ive said it before, Ive made amazing sounding records with a 2" studer and an API console with no automation. ....I know this is crazy talk, but you actually had to rely on the musicians ability to play and sing........if these systems arnt working for you , and some people have zero creativity, why continue on ? If your entire creative process is hung up on some computer minutiae, then you've got WAYYY bigger problems, and maybe plumbing or road paving is more in line with thier level of 'expressiveness.