Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-17-2005, 05:15 AM

Default New PCIe host card with old Digi 7-slot expansion?

Digi: Is the new PCIe host card available (list price $225) for the new 6-slot Expansion|HD expansion chassis compatible with older Digi expansion chassis? I have a 7-slot Digi expansion chassis and it would be great if I had to buy only the host card and keep the expansion chassis. If not, is there an upgrade path planned for the older Digi expansion chassis? An exchange program, perhaps?

Mauro
Old 12-17-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: New PCIe host card with old Digi 7-slot expansion?

Quote:
Digi: Is the new PCIe host card available (list price $225) for the new 6-slot Expansion|HD expansion chassis compatible with older Digi expansion chassis? I have a 7-slot Digi expansion chassis and it would be great if I had to buy only the host card and keep the expansion chassis. If not, is there an upgrade path planned for the older Digi expansion chassis? An exchange program, perhaps?
I would highly doubt that the card would be compatible with the older chassis. Take a look at the specs and description for the new chassis, and you'll see that it's VERY different from the previous hardware. Also, I wouldn't hold my breath regarding an exchange. Having gone through lots of different chassis, the only chassis update program I remember was from Magma (which allowed you to put new guts in your older chassis).

Lee Blaske
Old 12-17-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: New PCIe host card with old Digi 7-slot expansion?

The cards are completely different. The new ones are dual infiniband connections and are serial. (similiar to gig-E connections).

Also the new chassis are for digi stuff only - no HBA cards, video cards, etc.