Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2020, 10:55 PM

Default EuControl auto-launch broken in win10 2004

hi

Just updated to win10 2004 and now I get the error message at login

"EUCON Clilent can not access the Bonjour service and will now exit."

Was fine before the 2004 update. If you disable the auto-launch or remove it from "run" in the registry then the error message, obviously, goes away.

It's fine if you launch it manually after login so I suspect it's an issue with a security setting that has changed in 2004 so the registry autolaunch doesn't work. Other auto-launch apps are fine...but then they use a different 'trigger' method.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:28 AM
Avid

Default Re: EuControl auto-launch broken in win10 2004

I'm on the latest Windows and it's fine. Try uninstaling Eucon and reinstall it all using the Eucon Workstation installer.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2020, 07:30 AM

hi Eddie

already did the uninstall - reinstall - uninstall everything including preferences 0- reinstall dance. Same result every time.

As I say works fine manually - just doesn't start from the 'run' registry entry. Are you definitely on 2004 as that's not rolled out everywhere just yet. Was fine on the last version of 1909
Old 06-24-2020, 10:49 AM
Avid

Yes I'm sure. We run on the betas of Windows too. This issue sounds like a networking issue. Can you check these settings and make sure Bonjour is allowed through the correct network setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation 2020-06-24 104831.jpg (36.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:57 AM

Yes - permissions are fine. As I said, works ok if your start it manually. It’s the autostart that’s the issue - whatever privilege level it uses at that stage isn’t high enough.

The user I log in as has has admin rights. Other auto start apps are fine - was ok on 1909 - something else going one. No probs if you can’t find it - it’s early days for 2004 - I’m sure others will confirm.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:14 AM

quick update to this and the fix/workaround:

I noticed that if I hadn't started EuControl when I started Cubase/Nuendo then it seemed to autostart the MC Client Service as a child process of Cubase itself not a seperate process. This seemed to cause some random ASIO spikes in Cubase ?

I made EuControl autostart by using Windows 10 Task Scheduler. Set it to autostart 30 seconds after user login. Works perfectly.

Definitely some issue with startup in 2004 IMO - maybe the Registry "run" happens too early in the boot sequence before bonjour is running ?

Either way there is the workaround.

Make sure you take the autostart out of the registry, either by hand or by right-clicking the EuControl icon and disabling (un tick) "Auto-launch apps" (does the same thing!)
Old 06-26-2020, 05:57 PM

Auto-launch has been causing OLED display refresh delays when banking on artist series as well as S3. Once manually launched, there's never an issue. Auto-launch, 100% fail rate. On Mac, I wonder if it's launching too soon before any of the other network and essential items launch. EuControl also take 4 times longer to activate when Auto-launched.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 08-17-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
quick update to this and the fix/workaround:

I noticed that if I hadn't started EuControl when I started Cubase/Nuendo then it seemed to autostart the MC Client Service as a child process of Cubase itself not a seperate process. This seemed to cause some random ASIO spikes in Cubase ?

I made EuControl autostart by using Windows 10 Task Scheduler. Set it to autostart 30 seconds after user login. Works perfectly.

Definitely some issue with startup in 2004 IMO - maybe the Registry "run" happens too early in the boot sequence before bonjour is running ?

Either way there is the workaround.

Make sure you take the autostart out of the registry, either by hand or by right-clicking the EuControl icon and disabling (un tick) "Auto-launch apps" (does the same thing!)
No probkem here on win10 2004 from moment update was applied, using eucon 20.1.6.3 with artistbmix/control cubase 10.5.20 build 179.

Apart from the very well documented issues with Steinberg seemingly refusing to upate their SDK so that the mix/control could follow the track filter/ mix console shiw/hide I'd say it was almost a perfect system, unfortunately because of that iv'e decided to drop the avid system and look elsewhere for a solution.

Just so pleased right now that I never rushed to get my hands on the near release hardware or S3, lovely gear but one big work flow hassle in that so.much time is spent banking around trying get the surface to match the mix conolse. Just so disappointed in both parties that this issue is still stuck there like a sore thumb after all these years.