Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

I have Pro Tools 8 up and running with no problems at all .. Windows 8 has made my DAW so much more stable I can run as many rtas needed now with lil to no hiccups at all
Old 10-21-2012, 04:32 PM

Unhappy Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Hi Darryl

Been away for a bit came back and thought I'd try and install Pro tools again found the new 10.3.2 so I downloaded it completely uninstalled my PT 10.2
This is what is in my machine :
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical
32 8 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Kingston
2- 500 GB WD 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache HDD - SATA 3 - Black Edition
2- TB WD 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache HDD - SATA 3 - Black Edition
2- NVidia GTX 670 Video Cards
Fire wire Card and
MSI Z77A-GD80 Intel Z77 1155 4D.DDR3 V/L/S ATX main board
Windows 8 version 6.2.9200
Windows sees my 003 just fine

Install it and ran it in administrator mode

It still does not work. Same error
"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer). Disk cache size or engine voice count. I you got this error on launch , delete your prefs and try again ( -9514).

There was nothing in the prefs folder … deleted it anyways … still didn’t work

I am beginning to think Pro tools doesn’t like me ... So I thought maybe my 003 rack has a problem. I downloaded a copy of Mixcraft 6.1 a 75.00 Program !!!!! ... Picked it up right away ... no issues ...

If this is how much work it takes to install … Not sure I want to spend the rest of life trying to use it. I am a big fan of using the industry standard stuff … this is why I went there in the first place … but not if it makes me crazy … Thank you for all your help ….. Let me know when and if Pro tools gets the windows installation part right.

Pretty disappointed spent a few thousand dollars and to many hours just trying to get it to run on a windows. Sad , so very sad .

Do you think I could get a refund? If so who would I talk to.

I am one very frustrated customer
Thanks again for your effort
Mike
Old 10-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Windows 8 Release Preview

Ilok working on ilok.com and showing licenses

10.3.2 won't run, authorization error.
Complete production toolkit won't install, can't find pro tools

Any tips?

I wanted to get 10.3.2 running on a backup computer (which is running windows 8 Release Preview) before upgrading my regular windows 7 system from 10.2 to 10.3.2.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Ilok problem was solved via this article:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ssage/en430451

DAE error by this one:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ssage/en406391

Now I've got the "could not allocate memory for disk cache" error.

I deleted my prefs, no joy. Don't know yet about complete production toolkit.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 PM

I don't understand the urgency to run ProTools on Windows 8. Much less the angryness and unsatisfaction some are declaring as customers.

ProTools is advertised as compatible with Windows 7, not Windows 8 yet. It will when Windows 8 is the standard. So, I don't see how someone can get angry at Avid because ProTools doesn't work properly on Windows 8 yet. Also, you get the most of ProTools you can get on Windows 7.

If you're trying to use the latest version of ProTools because you want to use the "industry standard" for recordings, then install Windows 7 and use it. No real professional tries to use his Windows + ProTools setup to use anything else on it (e.g. more software, games, etc). More than that, he follows all the Windows optimization points described in the support pages, which make the system look less pretty but function pretty well. After all, that's the role of that computer, being a perfectly clean and fast ProTools platform.

If you want to use the computer you have as ProTools Worstation for something else, then you can boot a different Windows (XP, 7, 8, anything you want) from a different partition or disk. That will protect your ProTools setup from getting dirty or misconfigured.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''
Old 10-26-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
I don't understand the urgency to run ProTools on Windows 8. Much less the angryness and unsatisfaction some are declaring as customers.

ProTools is advertised as compatible with Windows 7, not Windows 8 yet. It will when Windows 8 is the standard. So, I don't see how someone can get angry at Avid because ProTools doesn't work properly on Windows 8 yet. Also, you get the most of ProTools you can get on Windows 7.

If you're trying to use the latest version of ProTools because you want to use the "industry standard" for recordings, then install Windows 7 and use it. No real professional tries to use his Windows + ProTools setup to use anything else on it (e.g. more software, games, etc). More than that, he follows all the Windows optimization points described in the support pages, which make the system look less pretty but function pretty well. After all, that's the role of that computer, being a perfectly clean and fast ProTools platform.

If you want to use the computer you have as ProTools Worstation for something else, then you can boot a different Windows (XP, 7, 8, anything you want) from a different partition or disk. That will protect your ProTools setup from getting dirty or misconfigured.
+1

If you want Pro Tools to run as advertised you need to stick to the stated spec requirements.

Now if you are crazy, like me, and like flying by the seat of your pants and not having any support when something goes wrong, then install Windows 8

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM

I explained my "urgency".

I have no issues with running pro tools on a supported platform, I "want" to test 10.3.2 on another computer before I update my main system. If there are people here that have worked through the windows 8 problems I would like their help, because the only computer I can test on is windows 8.

I am not demanding or angry.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM

I got passed the memory error somehow (can't remember what is was in the end). No audio would play back though when I imported audio clips. Then upon closing and re-opening Pro Tools it just crashes every time now.

It seems incredibly unstable in certain areas and fine in other areas (most plug-ins worked fine when I had the chance to test them).

I've given up on it for the moment, I'm running it on my family iMac for the moment just to be able to do some uni work. (SIGH)
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
I got passed the memory error somehow (can't remember what is was in the end). No audio would play back though when I imported audio clips. Then upon closing and re-opening Pro Tools it just crashes every time now.

It seems incredibly unstable in certain areas and fine in other areas (most plug-ins worked fine when I had the chance to test them).

I've given up on it for the moment, I'm running it on my family iMac for the moment just to be able to do some uni work. (SIGH)
Did you do the Windows 7 optimizations?

Avid Windows 7 Optimizations Video Playlist - YouTube

Windows 7 Optimizations

I know you are talking about Windows 8, but the list will be pretty much the same.

also, you still need to always launch Pro Tools with Run As Administrator.

http://protoolsquicktips.blogspot.co...using-pro.html

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM

I searched duc for all the disk cache error posts. The only fix I found (actually stopped looking after finding this) was running the installer as admin.

I tried that with no joy, after uninstalling and reboot.

Today I installed the release version of windows 8 (using windows 8 upgrade tool), which I assume set me back to "zero" as no programs came across with the upgrade (only personal files). Tried again to install Pro Tools as admin but I'm still stuck at the disk cache error during startup.

Yes I know there's posts saying that installing protools 9 and then uinstalling works but I don't have access to PT 9 installer anymore.