Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Anyone else with slow graphic redraws in 2018.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer49 View Post
Ok, an update:

finished up a project slightly ahead of schedule, so i decided to take the extra time to give 2018.1 another shot. (apparently i had forgotten about my prior frustrations w/ 11.3.2.) Anyway, I reinstalled 2018.1 and I'm stress testing/troubleshooting.

I've got a modest session (about 150 MIDI tracks) open and i'm not experiencing the issues i had before.... yet.

A couple of possibilities:
1. the fresh install solved the issues.
2. the problem may be related to the length of time a session is open - my previous project when i reported issues had been open for like 4 days straight.
3. I haven't reached the stress threshold yet... let's see how score editor holds up, and 200+ tracks....

But, as of now, I'm hiding/unhiding, adding/deleting midi tracks with no lag or momentary hangs, scrolling through the session seems fine, and the GUI is overall pretty snappy.

I'll report back.
1) are you using Midi Hardware with 150 - 200 midi tracks ??
2) or are you using VI's ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-11-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
ok so it's defo something to do with monitor resolution then.
Just to add an alternate view, all my monitors are run at their native resolution, so UHD or 4K, and usually with an HD HDMI output. Fortunately I haven't experienced the Graphics Slowdowns.

System is:
2013 MacPro, lowest model, 12GB ram, standard Graphics Card.
PT HD Native,
MacOS High Sierra

Sessions are usually quite large, 200+ tracks/busses etc, but minimal Virtual Instruments.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
1) are you using Midi Hardware with 150 - 200 midi tracks ??
2) or are you using VI's ??
No hardware. VIs only, with everything routed through VEP6. (Less than 10 instances of VEP in the PT session itself.)

Update to my unscientific "stress-test":
I've got 240+ MIDI tracks going now, and there is a bit of a drop off in responsiveness (momentary hangs in the edit window and track list), but nothing like the crippling extent it was at before. After the brief hangs, scrolling and selecting tracks is quite responsive.

Last edited by fixxer49; 02-11-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: clarification on VEP instances
Old 02-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Update:GUI responsiveness (or lack of responsiveness) issues have returned!

I did not touch the session since my last post - just let it sit for a while.
What could be causing this to happen?

UPDATE: closing and reopening session has [temporarily?] solved the problem. i also quit all the avid app manager apps and the quicktime server function. I'm going to let the session sit for while and see what happens now.

Last edited by fixxer49; 02-11-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer49 View Post
Update:GUI responsiveness (or lack of responsiveness) issues have returned!

I did not touch the session since my last post - just let it sit for a while.
What could be causing this to happen?

UPDATE: closing and reopening session has [temporarily?] solved the problem. i also quit all the avid app manager apps and the quicktime server function. I'm going to let the session sit for while and see what happens now.
i was going to say remove the Launch Agent for App Man .. MacHD / library / launch agents !!! put it on your desktop in case you want to put it back .. and uninstall Cloud Serives too !!

QT server, i think you just have to quit that every time you restart your computer ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-11-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i was going to say remove the Launch Agent for App Man .. MacHD / library / launch agents !!! put it on your desktop in case you want to put it back .. and uninstall Cloud Serives too !!

QT server, i think you just have to quit that every time you restart your computer ..
I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but I think these steps have definitely mitigated the issue. However...About 1 hour in, things start getting a bit sluggish. Track redraws take extra time and there's a brief loss of GUI functionality.

After quitting and re-opening session (not shutting down my system, just quitting and restarting PT), everything is snappy again. MIDI track redraws are pretty much instantaneous (about 50 - 60 tracks at a time.)

Old 02-11-2018, 04:27 PM

That sound like a memory leak....historically speaking. I have no empirical data to back that up....

What happens when you run The session without VEPro?

Load as many VI’s as you can and test, then let it sit and come back and see how it responds
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeecee View Post
Just to add an alternate view, all my monitors are run at their native resolution, so UHD or 4K, and usually with an HD HDMI output. Fortunately I haven't experienced the Graphics Slowdowns.

System is:
2013 MacPro, lowest model, 12GB ram, standard Graphics Card.
PT HD Native,
MacOS High Sierra

Sessions are usually quite large, 200+ tracks/busses etc, but minimal Virtual Instruments.
that's awesome news. Also knocks out my theory about high res and amd.Also makes me feel much more comfy to get a trashcan

Something else then. I wish we knew why some people with identical macs have graphic slowdown and others not. After reading every graphics slowdown thread i really thought the common denominator was UHD and AMD. Sorry about that.

I do know the only thing i changed to a standard install is stopping app manager from booting with mac by modifying the launch plist file, but i haven't uninstalled cloud services this time.
I haven't had a graphics slowdown issue since el capitan and PT 12.6 through 12.8.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
That sound like a memory leak....historically speaking. I have no empirical data to back that up....

What happens when you run The session without VEPro?

Load as many VI’s as you can and test, then let it sit and come back and see how it responds
good call...

It could be a rogue plugin in VEpro.

This was happening to me with hornet magnus mk2. All i did was have one instance on the master fader.. after about 20 minutes my free ram had almost disappeared and things DID get impossibly sluggish. Your post triggered the memory and it took ages to work out by process of elimination. (i believe the dev has fixed the leak in the plugin after i reported it, so don't let this put you off his plugins or anything).

There are heaps of free memory apps on the app store, perhaps the OP could install one and check free memory at time of slowdown, and then hit the memory clean button to see if it temporarily fixes the issue.

Or it's possible he is simply just using all that memory with all the VI's..

I do know that every time my free ram gets under the 500mb mark here, safari becomes terrible to just click and activate a tab, and in general the OS becomes very slow. So i think you might be on to something!
Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
good call...

It could be a rogue plugin in VEpro.

This was happening to me with hornet magnus mk2. All i did was have one instance on the master fader.. after about 20 minutes my free ram had almost disappeared and things DID get impossibly sluggish. Your post triggered the memory and it took ages to work out by process of elimination. (i believe the dev has fixed the leak in the plugin after i reported it, so don't let this put you off his plugins or anything).

There are heaps of free memory apps on the app store, perhaps the OP could install one and check free memory at time of slowdown, and then hit the memory clean button to see if it temporarily fixes the issue.

Or it's possible he is simply just using all that memory with all the VI's..

I do know that every time my free ram gets under the 500mb mark here, safari becomes terrible to just click and activate a tab, and in general the OS becomes very slow. So i think you might be on to something!
I'm going to try a test based on your suggestions, and without VEPro running and report back.
(Also - i'm not the OP, but i guess I've hijacked this thread.)