Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Default Bluetooth transmitter & headphones?

Has anybody here ever used a Bluetooth transmitter paired to Bluetooth headphones in a recording studio? I've read that the max number of devices that can realistically be paired to one transmitter is 3 (or 4 ?). Even that would be useful, if it would work & sound good. Any recommendations for a pro-studio-quality BT transmitter & BT headphones? Would there be latency? Would it create noise in nearby audio wires & gear? Just a wacky idea perhaps ...
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Bluetooth transmitter & headphones?

AFAIK, latency will be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2018, 04:06 PM

Oh the horror.

Analog headphones with good old wires connected to great headphone amp(s)/distribution box.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Analog headphones with good old wires connected to great headphone amp(s)/distribution box.
Yes, been doing it that way for many years!!! The idea is to cut some cable clutter and let talent roam around a bit between takes etc.
Click for resume
Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 PM

Don’t do it. Seriously latency can be an issue, and I will suspect you end up dicking around with problems, flat batteries, etc. and there is just a great solid choice of known good analog headphones.

Besides talent should sit where they are told
Old 11-28-2018, 07:28 PM

What he said^^^ However, the wireless solution that WOULD work and have essentially no added latency is an IEM system as used by 90% of all live musicians these days Sennheiser E300 gen 2 or Gen 3 is probably the best value for quality vs price(used systems can be had for $400-600). Many players also have custom ear molded earbuds(if they gig a lot) and those may even offer better isolation(plus, the player can put on regular headphones over their ear buds (regular headphones can also plug into the belt packs as long as they have a mini-TRS plug, or the proper adapter)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
... Besides talent should sit where they are told
I know, right? Ha !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What he said^^^ However, the wireless solution that WOULD work and have essentially no added latency is an IEM system as used by 90% of all live musicians these days Sennheiser E300 gen 2 or Gen 3 is probably the best value for quality vs price(used systems can be had for $400-600). Many players also have custom ear molded earbuds(if they gig a lot) and those may even offer better isolation(plus, the player can put on regular headphones over their ear buds (regular headphones can also plug into the belt packs as long as they have a mini-TRS plug, or the proper adapter)
Interesting idea, but dunno if IEM's would be suitable for studio/tracking. Headphones plugged into the IEM belt pack is interesting, but still has the wire AND a belt pack to mess with - plus it's a bit pricey (just to let talent be un-tethered). Maybe somebody will invent a way to fix the bluetooth latency problem ... Oh well, guess I'll just stick with the ol' tried-and-true wired 'phones.
Thanks for brain-stormin'!!!
Click for resume
Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 PM

Default Bluetooth transmitter & headphones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I know, right? Ha !!!

Interesting idea, but dunno if IEM's would be suitable for studio/tracking. Headphones plugged into the IEM belt pack is interesting, but still has the wire AND a belt pack to mess with - plus it's a bit pricey (just to let talent be un-tethered). Maybe somebody will invent a way to fix the bluetooth latency problem ... Oh well, guess I'll just stick with the ol' tried-and-true wired 'phones.

Thanks for brain-stormin'!!!

Bluetooth as a protocol isn’t necessarily problematic. It’s the implementation of it on the computer and what it interfaces with that is the issue.

Every Bluetooth headphone I have ever seen is a consumer device. Ultra low latency performance isn’t a necessity.

Have a look at the soon to be released Phase product for turntables. It’s for DJ use, but the Bluetooth communication is between the controller and hub. No computer involved and as such, they’ve got the latency down to a ridiculously low number, as there is no way in the world turntablists could pull of those kind of scratches if there was noticeable lag.

https://youtu.be/8bD-pARanmM

https://youtu.be/yL46Uw8M6HA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Interesting idea, but dunno if IEM's would be suitable for studio/tracking.
Yes they are. If they are worthy for live use, they are worthy for tracking. I've been using that since 2002 and no problems with those.

WFIF, I use Shure PSM900 and PSM1000 systems, depending on range needed.