Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Finally Fixed DAE 6008

This won't solve all DAE 6008 problems, but I finally solved mine. The info I got on this forum helped put me on the right track, so I thought I share what I came up with in case it helps someone else. First some background.

I'm running a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 at 2.00GHZ with a SB Live Value card and 768 Mb of RAM. Last year I set it up as a dual boot system specifically so I could run PTF - and it worked fine. I got away from it for a few months and a week ago I went to use it and got the dreaded DAE 6008 error (along with some page fault messages and the blue screen of death from time to time). There were two major things I had changed on my system during those months. I installed a network card and I increased the RAM to 768 Mb.

After reading the tips on this forum, I promptly disabled the network card in the Windows 98 device manager, and made the various and sundry other tweaks recommended. No joy. So I started digging around to find out what was causing the apparent lack of memory resources problem.

In a forum unrelated to PTF, I found my key. Windows 98 simply doesn't handle memory beyond 512Mb without some help. Unless the vcache settings are established in the System.ini file, Windows 98 will happily establish a vcache on its own that will consume all of the available addresses in the system arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions.

So I added the following lines to my System.ini file under the vcache section:

MinFileCache=0
MaxFileCache=522240

You can (and probably should) make your MinFileCache and your MaxFileCache the same size, but limit the max to 524288 or a little less (though if you do less, do it in increments of 1024).

PTF still gave me the DAE 6008 error, but I realized I still had my sound card disabled from my various experiments, and as soon as I re-enabled it, I was in business.

Whew!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Finally Fixed DAE 6008

Thanks for posting this info. I assembled a new board and cpu for a friend with a 1GB stick of memory. Everything worked super until I installed ProTools Free. when I tried to launch the program it locked up, crashed with page fault reports. Since this was the first board I had used for 64 bit processor I was unsure of what was happening. I could see that PT worked ok until I installed the agp drivers. The info you have provided fixed that problem.