Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-22-2019, 06:38 AM

Default Feature Request: plugins report when window is open

With ideascale being gone, I thought I would post this here-

I think Avid needs to support a way to make NI kontrol/maschine, Softube Console 1, the TC electronic hardware/software, even Omnisphere and it's app and others work better moving forward.

I understand that it seems Avids position is that it isn't reasonable for them to have to support every plugin hardware's custom software, and I get that.

But the main they need to do IMO is support a way for AAX to report which plugin is open or targeted so we can some sort of track follow support between all these hardwares and software instances. If they could do that and also have AAX report the order the plugins are instantiated then it would be the 3rd parties responsibility to support THAT.

Avid if you're reading this- it really isn't a conflict between Eucon and all these custom controllers. I have 2 docks, an artist mix, a transport, a control, 2 Console 1's, 2 kontrols and a maschine. I'm still likely going to be upgrading to some s3's or s1's and adding another dock etc.

All these things compliment each other.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Feature Request: plugins report when window is open

Eucon can already do that. It is free for plugin developers to implement. Up to the plugin developers to implement it. (They don't want to because it will cut their hardware sales.) Take it up with the plugin developers.

Why would Avid support other companies so they can sell hardware when they already have hardware that does these things? This development time costs money to Avid.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Eucon can already do that. It is free for plugin developers to implement. Up to the plugin developers to implement it. (They don't want to because it will cut their hardware sales.) Take it up with the plugin developers.

Why would Avid support other companies so they can sell hardware when they already have hardware that does these things? This development time costs money to Avid.
We've had this exact conversation before, but I feel obliged to say it again. That logic just doesn't hold up. Avid also makes plugins, yet they still allow companies to make plugins for Pro Tools, even though that cuts into the amount of plugins they sell.

Presonus and Steinberg also make hardware controllers, yet they see the value in opening up their environment to work with their users' workflow, not against it. It adds a feature set that users are asking for, so it's a net benefit.

Eucon is not designed to do the same thing that the controllers mentioned are designed to do, even if they are capable of doing some of it.

Adding track follow and auto numbering would take minimal development time, and they're aware that it's being requested. It's a conscious decision not to.
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 08-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

Avid if you're reading this- it really isn't a conflict between Eucon and all these custom controllers. I have 2 docks, an artist mix, a transport, a control, 2 Console 1's, 2 kontrols and a maschine. I'm still likely going to be upgrading to some s3's or s1's and adding another dock etc.

All these things compliment each other.
Completely agree. There's no conflict. No one's buying a Console 1, or Maschine to do what the artist series, or S1/S3's do. They compliment each other.
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 08-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:

No, it can't. There is no Eucon hardware control that provides a drum machine with loading/chopping samples and one-shots like Maschine. There is no Eucon hardware that is a competitor to Kontorl with integrated VI control and preset/plugin browsing...Or even a channel strip like console 1 or even something like the app for omnisphere. Nothing in Eucon land does any of that, and none of that crosses over into eucon land. Have you ever opened omnisphere on a eucon surface? Completely useless.

I'm not asking Avid for full console 1 support, or NKS support and so on. It's perfectly understandable that they aren't going to rewrite the daw for every hardware/software product on the market- and they aren't going to provide hooks to the hardware to control PT faders, sends, macros etc. Completely fair that they maintain that you need a eucon surface for *that*.

But this is different, it's simply a request to setup the AAX protocol so that plugins can tell which window is open in PT, and if there are multiple instances, to enumerate them from first track to last track.

The most important factor here is this works WITH eucon. I can have machine/kontrol/console 1/etc track follow, and still use the eucon surface for faders, sends, mutes, macros, xmon, audiosuite, on and on.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
Completely agree. There's no conflict. No one's buying a Console 1, or Maschine to do what the artist series, or S1/S3's do. They compliment each other.
I wish Avid could see this play out in the trenches more. We have a lot of interns here and this kind of thing is really hurting Avid's standing with young people coming into the industry.

I could babble on about this, but I'll just put it this way- Avid is loosing the youth. In face to face situations they don't just like PT, the LOVE IT. But then all of this reality kicks in. You pay a lot for PT vanilla, then you buy the kontrol you saw at the studio, dig in, and realize how little you get for that subscription, and how hopeless it is that you will get even basic functionality with what you pay every year.

Then they start looking at the competition...And unless your clients demand PT...which less and less do, you migrate.

This is a bad situation for the future Avid.

It's simple. Come up with "the avid way" to support hardware/software combos, and let the devs support *that*. I don't care if it's perfect...nothing is. But basic functions need to be there.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

But this is different, it's simply a request to setup the AAX protocol so that plugins can tell which window is open in PT, and if there are multiple instances, to enumerate them from first track to last track.
Here's a crazy fun fact. The Spanner plugin can already do this with its ipad app. Probably because they (Cargo Cult/Justin) have/are a more competent coder than Native Instruments. It knows which instance is open and the track name and can switch automatically to the open/selected one on Cargo Cult's iPad app for Spanner.

Now what?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Here's a crazy fun fact. The Spanner plugin can already do this with its ipad app. Probably because they (Cargo Cult/Justin) have/are a more competent coder than Native Instruments. It knows which instance is open and the track name and can switch automatically to the open/selected one on Cargo Cult's iPad app for Spanner.

Now what?
Interesting...Thanks, I wasn't aware of anything that had this working. I wonder how he makes it work and the rest don't. I think his video is a perfect example of how this works together with Eucon and would make having an Avid controller more desirable.

After doing more poking around it seems that the TC hardware/software units have a button in the plugin that you can click to link the hardware to the plugin as well.

It would be great if NI and softube would do even that. Especially if that button was one of the first available in Eucon.