Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-18-2019, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Heat on a 'freeze track'

Back to the point; there is of course the workaround of copying committed track to another audio track and let HEAT do its magic as it is designed for
Old 12-18-2019, 02:27 AM

Not having HEAT available on instrument tracks is just a stupid design flaw. Proper half-a-job-Harry.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:18 AM

Not aux/master either, it is meant for audio tracks only
Old 12-19-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Back to the point; there is of course the workaround of copying committed track to another audio track and let HEAT do its magic as it is designed for
I always Commit my instrument tracks rather then freeze. Using Commit creates an audio track with HEAT available anyway, so there's no need to copy them to another audio track.

Personally, I never use Freeze. I don't like not being able to adjust the inserts (and I just don't like the way it looks! ). Luckily my computer is fast enough that I don't need it - yet.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-19-2019, 06:03 AM

Hi all,

Every time I see a thread about Heat not being available on Instrument or Aux tracks (and since you're always on them Midnight : relax everyone, we know each other in the real world), I keep meaning to drop in and ask a question.

I'm still rocking PT 10.3.10 coz I ain't retiring my TDM systems anytime soon. Way back in the day when Heat first came out, I hit the same snag, as at that time I was running my Synth VI's on Aux tracks with separate MIDI tracks feeding them (ie: Verse part, Chorus part, M8 part all on individual MIDI tracks for ease of arranging and editing). I never liked Instrument tracks at all for that reason.

I quickly discovered that I could stick my VI's on ordinary Audio tracks (mono or stereo) and with Heat all set to "post", it worked as expected. Never looked back, and smugly rolled my eyes everytime I saw one of these threads (Midnight can slap me in person for being a jackass like that later).

Does this still work the same with all the later versions of PT??

Cheers.

Steve
Old 12-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post

I quickly discovered that I could stick my VI's on ordinary Audio tracks (mono or stereo) and with Heat all set to "post", it worked as expected. Never looked back, and smugly rolled my eyes everytime I saw one of these threads (Midnight can slap me in person for being a jackass like that later).
No wayyyy! Why did I never think of that? Too wedded to instrument tracks maybe?! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Mind you if you're running a plug-in with lots of separate outs (I'm thinking something like Superior Drummer) you'd presumably have to have audio tracks that are permanently in input monitoring mode...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Does this still work the same with all the later versions of PT??
I've just tried it, and yes it does indeed.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:26 AM

Midnight,

Yeah, I rarely have multi out VI's running myself, but in those instances I've done exactly what you describe, channels on input permanently. Certainly on a TDM system where Heat runs as DSP, it works beautifully that way, and the upside is that I'm all ready to print when the time comes.

Not sure how Heat would behave on Native systems like yours with Input on, but worth investigating I would guess.

Glad to hear it still functions this way on later versions, because as I think you know, I have an HDX sat here that I just haven't found a way to press into service yet (stole our assigned voices and elegant Insta-Comp workflow anyone?!?!), so this is one more question ticked off my list.

How's it going over there mate?

SB
Old 12-19-2019, 07:36 AM

PS,

If I remember correctly at the time (haven't felt the need to check it since), by using Audio tracks for my VI's, some delay compensation oddities were alleviated also, so I just saw that as a bloody good win all round.

Might be mis-recalling or conflating that point with something else here.

SB
Old 12-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I always Commit my instrument tracks rather then freeze. Using Commit creates an audio track with HEAT available anyway, so there's no need to copy them to another audio track.

Personally, I never use Freeze. I don't like not being able to adjust the inserts (and I just don't like the way it looks! ). Luckily my computer is fast enough that I don't need it - yet.
The whole point is to freeze the VI just when the midi is done, and then with PT's excellent freeze, you still have control of all the inserts, automation and volume levels.. All it does is zero the cpu usage and make the midi clip an audio file in place.. I like how it still shows the midi underneath.

What would make it outstanding is if it could do what live and S1 do, in that you can still copy and paste audio, delete clips, and then unfreeze and the midi re takes the place of the audio, if you need to actually add new notes over it. That would be amazing.

I don't like the workaround of monitoring live into an audio track, as it's subject to the buffer latency, so that one's out..

I think the only way to use heat is to mirror each VI with an audio track below it and just drag and drop the midi (love this feature) and disable the original track unless you need to change the notation, and just work in the audio domain and therefore, use heat!

I recently picked up overloud and softube tape on sale, buying both cost half of what the overloud usually is on it's own, and I love them both, which is really surprising as I usually hate tape plugins (vtm, ozone, tone boosters, many others).. I highly recommend them.. It can also provide another way of working. they are both SO light on cpu, that they could be used on VI tracks, and heat on all the audio tracks.. there is no hard and fast rule that 2 different tape formulas can't be used together in the same song...

Everyone is raving about the IK, and it does sound good, but it's unusable in a realtime situation over a multitrack project, for any cpu.. it's just stupid hungry.. So right now, i'll either bounce to audio and use all heat, or mix it with softube or overloud on the tracks that don't have it.. You can also still place overloud on the heat tracks and only use the console simulation portion to still help give that feeling that the whole mix is going through the same desk at least :)
Old 12-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No global warming seen here in Philippines. Same weather every day of the year and locals say hasnt changed in their lifetime
LOL when I check back to the warmest recorded temps in australia, they are all like 100 years ago.