Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Default Odd question about installing HD software

I'm thinking seriously about getting HD Native. However, for various reasons, I may get the stuff I need with it in stages, such as a Mac Pro, then an interface, etc.

What I'd like to know is, if I buy the HD Native card which comes with HD 9 software, can I install the software before installing the card? The HD Native manual seems to imply that you need everything hooked up, but that may be copied over from older HD system manuals (they've had mistakes in their manuals before).

The reason is, I'm not currently on PT9 with my 003R. And I'm planning on buying the Eleven Rack. I was hoping I could immediately start using the HD 9 software with these interfaces, until I get my Mac Pro and can hook up the card.

Anyone know how this works?

EDIT: To put it more clearly, I know that HD 9 software works standalone or with other interfaces. I guess my question is, does it need to have the HD hardware set up for the initial installation, or the first time it's launched, etc.?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Odd question about installing HD software

The PT 9 installer is the same as the one for pt9 HD. The difference is the ilok license. If you buy PT9 HD you will also get the license to run it without HD card, which would then use the PT9 license.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:09 PM

I guess I was unsure because the HD Native Manual makes it sound like you have to have everything hooked up first. But as I mentioned, that just may not be updated from the pre-PT9 days when you did have to have the hardware to run the software.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I guess I was unsure because the HD Native Manual makes it sound like you have to have everything hooked up first. But as I mentioned, that just may not be updated from the pre-PT9 days when you did have to have the hardware to run the software.
You don't need the hardware to install the software. I installed PT9HD on my Macbook Pro after installing it on my Mac Pro (which has all the hardware hooked up). The Macbook Pro runs with an Mbox 3 Pro just fine. You just need to have the iLok inserted in whichever machine you want to open the software on. It still says "Pro Tools HD" when I open the software, but without the HD hardware it just runs as native. Pretty cool, actually. As long as my iLok is plugged in, PT9 doesn't really care what hardware I have hooked up. You should be fine installing the software first.

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks to both of you for the confirmation!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM

you should confirm what version of pro tools is included. last i heard all the hardware was still shipping with version 8.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Well, any HD system purchased after October 4th of last year automatically qualifies for a free upgrade to 9.