Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2020, 05:26 AM

Default Using Pro ToolsTools First and Protools Standard /Ultimate on The Same Machine

I have licences for two full versions of Pro Tools (Ultimate and Normal) and they are installed on various machines at multiple locations and it would be good to be able to run a basic DAW on a machine when I don’t have an iLoK to hand or when they are in use elsewhere.
I see that I have several PT first licences in my account which I have never used so would I be right in thinking that Pro Tools First installation is basically normal Pro Tools limited by the licence eg if I install a first licence on a machine, Pro Tools will open as First unless there is an iLoK present with the licence for a higher version.
I know I could just try this but I’m warry of messing up any of my systems so any advice would be welcome
Old 06-06-2020, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Using Pro ToolsTools First and Protools Standard /Ultimate on The Same Machine

No. Pro Tools First is a separate binary and installation (well it does share the same plugin folder... which uh leads to the issue below). You need to install that on your computers.

Personally I would not bother. If you use real Pro Tools, First is likely to be a frustrating mess, starting with you cannot use your current third party plugins.. but oh First will drive you crazy stupidly complain about all those plugins on every start up (and with that Avid made pretty sure that current Pro Tools users would not/could use First even if they wanted to). Forget First and get another real Pro Tools license if you need to do this. Or use a cloud license if you can't remember to move an ilok.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Using Pro ToolsTools First and Protools Standard /Ultimate on The Same Machine

Wow thanks for the heads up, I managed to try “First” on a friends machine and I can’t believe how rubbish it was, no wonder Pro Tools is losing user base if that’s what most peoples “First” experience is.
The whole thing seems based around getting you signing up for an Avid account and what is it with not allowing you to use third party plugins. Unbelievable!!!
I have been an “Avid “ (Sic) proponent of Pro Tools over Logic and Cubase etc for more than a decade but it seems that, what with the subscription only model etc. That Avid have some kind of death wish
Old 06-07-2020, 03:17 PM

Yep. Pro Tools First will actually be many users Last exposure to Pro Tools... I just do not understand how Avid can have such awful product management.