Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 07-08-2019, 10:35 AM

Default "playback engine does not support 48khz"

I turned on my computer today and launched a session I've been working on over the last month to suddenly get the error message "the current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48khz".

I have changed nothing whatsoever on my computer, why would be interface suddenly stop supporting 48k? All of my sessions for this project are in 48k and it will only give me the option of opening at 44.1k, 176k, or 192k. I have tried everything from trashing preferences, rebooting multiple times, disabling and re-enabling playback devices from the control panel, manually setting device sample rate and bit depth, changing default playback device (I found that this was the most common cause for this issue on the PC), installed ASIOS4all, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, changed cables, NOTHING WORKS.

I have been at it for 5 hours to no avail. I guess my next step is to completely uninstall pro tools and reinstall to see if that works, but if anyone has any insight, please help!!! Could my interface's internal clock just not be working properly?

Win 10
ProTools 2018.12
M-Track 2x2
Old 07-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Default Re: "playback engine does not support 48khz"

Go into Control Panel>Sound and make sure your interface is NOT the default for Windows sounds/audio in the Play and Record tabs. Set your onboard soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio. If you had already done this "tweak", check it anyway as sometimes a Windows Update can change the default back to your interface. My USB Power Management sometimes also gets defaulted back to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Go into Control Panel>Sound and make sure your interface is NOT the default for Windows sounds/audio in the Play and Record tabs. Set your onboard soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio. If you had already done this "tweak", check it anyway as sometimes a Windows Update can change the default back to your interface. My USB Power Management sometimes also gets defaulted back to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
As mentioned, I've done this many times, hasn't made a difference.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:35 AM

Try this...
Launch Pro Tools. When the splash screen appears on the screen, hold down the "n" key on your keyboard, which will eventually open the Playback Engine dialog for Pro Tools. At the top of this window, you will see the 'Current Engine' drop-down menu. Choose a different Engine.

Steve