Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Man I can't believe this. I just came from a long time journey from Nuendo to Protools.... and after this short period of time...THIS.

Shame on you Avid. This is like laughing out loud at customers face.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Man I can't believe this. I just came from a long time journey from Nuendo to Protools.... and after this short period of time...THIS.

Shame on you Avid. This is like laughing out loud at customers face.
Maybe Steinberg will be offering special full licenses to disgruntled pro tools vanilla users whos plans are about to expire for 199.00? That would certainly be tempting.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 PM

People in some of the recent posts are already getting the situation wrong because they haven’t read the announcement properly, and haven’t thoroughly read the discussions earlier in the thread. It is muddying the water somewhat.

The situation about prices staying at $99 per year applies to subscription licenses, i.e. those licenses that you rent, and which stop working altogether if you stop paying. If you currently subscribe, you subscription fee will not increase (for now). Only new subscribers will pay the higher fee. This is touted as a reward for your loyalty and for embracing the subscription model.

It does not apply to the annual support plan renewal for perpetual licenses, i.e. those licenses that you own forever, but for which you pay an annual fee to renew the support plan that gives you updates to the software for another year.

For support plan renewals, it clearly says that from July 1st 2019, the support plan renewal fee will increase from $99 to $199.

Please everybody, please stop spreading false information.

It is said that if you are already on the subscription model the price will not rise. But that only applies to the July 2019 increase. It does not say there will never be an increase, simply that there is no increase this time.

Actually Avid’s wording says this ...

Q) If my Subscription expires after July 1, 2019, can it be renewed beforehand at the older price?
Customers who purchased subscriptions prior to July 1, 2019 can continue to renew their subscriptions at the original (current) price.

If you want to read that as implicitly adding the word “forever” to the end of the answer, then I am afraid you are being naive. Note that the first part of the answer says customers who purchased subscriptions (plural) can continue to renew their subscriptions .... so it simply is talking about people who have multiple subscription licenses.

If you only have one subscription license, then you have to read the second half of the answer that way too, i.e. you can continue to renew the subscription at the original price. It does not commit to that price staying the same at subsequent renewals in the future.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)

Last edited by nigelpry; 06-18-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Maybe Steinberg will be offering special full licenses to disgruntled pro tools vanilla users whos plans are about to expire for 199.00? That would certainly be tempting.
Sure would. If the reinstate is still 300...or less, than I'll just have to freeze at this version and after 3 years reinstate....If not...I'll just go whatever other DAW on the market...

I was reading about all the bad opinions about Avid but I wasn't paying attention, untill today. Now I can confirm: Avid = ..... (fill in whatever negative adjectives)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Sure would. If the reinstate is still 300...or less, than I'll just have to freeze at this version and after 3 years reinstate....If not...I'll just go whatever other DAW on the market...

I was reading about all the bad opinions about Avid but I wasn't paying attention, untill today. Now I can confirm: Avid = ..... (fill in whatever negative adjectives)
HA! I was thinking in the same terms you are. That is exactly why Avid is giving the stink eye to reinstatements.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:54 PM

My subscription is 2 years in advance, good to hear I’m not going to get a retrospective subscription hit on subscriptions already paid..... I wonder how far in advance Avid allows you to subscribe.... could consider chucking some dollars at it and increase to say 5 years.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 PM

This is dumb. Really, really dumb.

Does Avid really think this is worth it after the much delayed 2019 release, and then the fact that the voice count increase doesn't even work on their own hardware? Who's running the ship there?

I have a vanilla as well as Ultimate license. The Vanilla license is up for renewal in December. Why should I renew now when I don't even use it right now? I mean, seriously? a 100% price increas in the vanilla upgrade plans after they hung users out to dry for 6 months?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 06-18-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtrino View Post
*** From Avid's official announcement:

"For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license"

*** From Avid's official "Pro Tools - Summary of Pricing Changes":

PT SW Perpetual Renewal --- Current Price: $99 --- New Price: $199

Seriously?

So customers who committed to Pro Tools by purchasing a perpetual license are the most penalized with this change?

And the excuse is because the "industry" is moving to a subscription model?

Actually, before moving to a subscription model, technology companies need to transition their software development model, PM, processes, release management, etc. to an agile methodology that supports such a subscription model. This leads to more frequent software updates/upgrades releases, which provides customers adequate and fair value against their recurring payments.

In the last year, the frequency of Pro Tools updates does not indicate Avid made that transition yet (at least not successfully) - Case in point, the almost one year delay before PT got Mojave support - And yet, we kept on paying our software update fees hoping that eventually they'll get there.

But now, they go on and double the price of software updates for perpetual licenses, and only for the standard/vanilla version.

Yet, there's no information in that announcement regarding what Avid did to improve their software development framework nor their release schedules, so if last year is any indication it's pretty certain next year won't be any better. Except that now we'll pay twice the price! Nice.

The message is loud and clear.
There was no stability improvement. Every GD year, Avid says, "oh, we've fixed this and improved that..." Wrong. All we got were some minor opt-click fill items and more cloud/social media nonsense. They've never fixed the Quicktime Media Server process, and they've never fixed the 6101 error.

I was on the fence about my renewal next fall. Avid has confirmed where they stand: More of the same (maybe some more Facebook integration or an Instagram plugin) but no serious technical fixes that actually matter. All of that for more money. PT 6.4 and 7 are still more stable.

Time to go deeper into Logic X. Maybe I'll try DaVinci Resolve's Fairlight integration. Anyway, I can't blame Avid's exec team: The new Gulfstream G650ER's are coming out and they're not cheap.
Pro Tools 2022.10
Remote PC: VEP 7
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM

So...

After Apple's mind-blowing Logic showcase at WWDC... after their very recent (free) Logic update that delivers so much...

this is what Avid comes up with?

(Look, I know that PT isn't a secondary income stream/loss-leader for Avid, but still...)
Old 06-18-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
So...

After Apple's mind-blowing Logic showcase at WWDC... after their very recent (free) Logic update that delivers so much...

this is what Avid comes up with?

(Look, I know that PT isn't a secondary income stream/loss-leader for Avid, but still...)
Hey the price increase is the biggest most talked about feature they have released for 2019! #winning!