Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM

Default things that Avid can do with the launch of iPad Pro

having just finished watching Apple's announcement of a new iPad Pro with 12" display and a very promising apple pencil, 5 things came to my mind which Avid can bring to Pro Tools | Control

1- redesign control to become a fully integrated control surface - or control pad should i say - with more faders, action tiles, midi, knobs ..etc
2- use apple pencil to draw track automation
3- create a track view within iPad
4- include full screen plugins such as eq, compressor or channel strip with support of multi-touch
5- integrate an XY pad controller with pencil to control pan, vibrato etc.

some of these Apple is including in their Logic Remote anyway, but i would really love to see it coming to pro tools

if you have other ideas in mind through it in the thread, maybe we can help pro tools catch up once again
Old 09-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Default Re: things that Avid can do with the launch of iPad Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
having just finished watching Apple's announcement of a new iPad Pro with 12" display and a very promising apple pencil, 5 things came to my mind which Avid can bring to Pro Tools | Control

1- redesign control to become a fully integrated control surface - or control pad should i say - with more faders, action tiles, midi, knobs ..etc
2- use apple pencil to draw track automation
3- create a track view within iPad
4- include full screen plugins such as eq, compressor or channel strip with support of multi-touch
5- integrate an XY pad controller with pencil to control pan, vibrato etc.

some of these Apple is including in their Logic Remote anyway, but i would really love to see it coming to pro tools

if you have other ideas in mind through it in the thread, maybe we can help pro tools catch up once again
A "fader pack only" mode, so you can use it in conjunction with an Artist Control would be good.

However, that would make the Artist Mix redundant.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 09-09-2015, 04:53 PM

Default things that Avid can do with the launch of iPad Pro

Really hoping they push this new concept as far as they can. I'm afraid they might not capitalize on it's potential in order to ensure it doesn't hurt their S3/S6 sales, but hopefully they'll have different perspective.

Huge opportunity for the DAW that unleashes the potential of a badass 13" touchscreen. I have a feeling the Logic team will be leading the way on that front.

Last edited by ryanstewartguitar; 09-14-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstewartguitar View Post
Really hoping they push this new concept as far as they can. I'm afraid they're gonna use their usual tactics and try to cripple it's functionality in order to ensure it doesn't hurt their S3/S6 sales, but hopefully they'll have a more mature perspective.

Huge opportunity for the DAW that unleashes the potential of a badass 13" touchscreen. I have a feeling the Logic team will be leading the way on that front.
wait until the 200.00 Avid Control Pro App comes out lol

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
A "fader pack only" mode, so you can use it in conjunction with an Artist Control would be good.

However, that would make the Artist Mix redundant.
I don't think it will make the Artist Mix redundant. If anything the iPad control app is more in competition with Artist control. Physical faders will always have their place. I could make some $ selling my Artist Mix on Ebay if the Avid app could replace it but it can't. And I tried to make it work, the fader is just way smoother.

Having the tracks view on the iPad app for metering is a phenomenal addition to the Artist Mix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (71.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by guitarist9891; 10-07-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:24 AM

virtual faders provide no where near the feel of a real flying fader.

so its the keys strokes are what counts,, and track selctions..

and allowing it to recall layouts on the mix is killer

cant make out if avid deliberately obstruct work flows or arent aware - like recalling layouts is waay better than selecting which type of tracks to view...

I would love that to be a screen in its own right...

I think the perfect combination is an Ipad and a couple of cheap android screens running TouchOSC.. can pretty much get most of the EUCON stuff via keystroke..

When will they allow us to *directly* select the tool we want? pressing a button 3 times to between time stretch and edge edit is disatisfyign if you are editing audio all day every day.. ( yes I know about quick keys - but that isnt 100% reliable... snaps you out of your flow when hitting little hiccups )