Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-25-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.5

For me, CPU usage is 10-20% worse on 2020.5 vs 2019.12 (Mojave 10.4.6.). Same session, same system. Was the same with 2020.3 so I held off. I run my machine very hard, so it's a problem with bigger sessions.

Also, getting some very strange behaviour with EuCon 20.5. SWOD for a long time when first installing and detecting my artist consoles made me weary. Then randomly, some time later my mouse wouldn't click. I disconnected and re-connected it and it came back. I've had that happen a couple of times since updating. I revoked EuCon's control privileges in System Preferences and it froze my machine. Well, at least completely disabled my control of it. Had to do a physical shutdown/restart and it came back. I'm back on 20.1 and none of the above. Had to do a full on system restore as Avid appear to no longer be maintaining the EuCon site with the older installers. That was annoying.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogme View Post
For me, CPU usage is 10-20% worse on 2020.5 vs 2019.12 (Mojave 10.4.6.). Same session, same system. Was the same with 2020.3 so I held off. I run my machine very hard, so it's a problem with bigger sessions.

Also, getting some very strange behaviour with EuCon 20.5. SWOD for a long time when first installing and detecting my artist consoles made me weary. Then randomly, some time later my mouse wouldn't click. I disconnected and re-connected it and it came back. I've had that happen a couple of times since updating. I revoked EuCon's control privileges in System Preferences and it froze my machine. Well, at least completely disabled my control of it. Had to do a physical shutdown/restart and it came back. I'm back on 20.1 and none of the above. Had to do a full on system restore as Avid appear to no longer be maintaining the EuCon site with the older installers. That was annoying.
Man! sorry you had the trouble..Seems like we are running the same sessions.. Sticking to 2019.12 for now. Can't risk these silly problems, especially the OMF thing. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-25-2020, 11:19 AM

I'm mid-gig so can't yet update, but grateful if someone can let me know if the following is fixed.

Currently in 2020.3 if I highlight multiple consecutive clips and then Bounce To Video, I get an error message saying it isn't possible to use the original video and it will need to be transcoded, which then fails in practice. However, if I highlight the exact same range but do so by selecting one single clip, it bounces normally.

I see in the Read Me there is something like this down as a known issue, but it specifies that this only happens if there are gaps between clips. As I say, the clips are continuous, yet it fails. If any kind soul can tell me if its working normally again in 2020.5 I'd be v grateful, thanks.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-25-2020, 11:22 AM

I am not sure about all of the Cloud enhancements either.. Just reading thru this now. Would be much more happy to get midi enhancements, other bugs that have been around for years sorted out. Just sticking with 2019.12 with the occasional, CPU spike on the top core.. Just just close the session and restart.. Seems to happen more in 96k sessions, so now I just do 48khz for post work totally now.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-25-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I'm mid-gig so can't yet update, but grateful if someone can let me know if the following is fixed.

Currently in 2020.3 if I highlight multiple consecutive clips and then Bounce To Video, I get an error message saying it isn't possible to use the original video and it will need to be transcoded, which then fails in practice. However, if I highlight the exact same range but do so by selecting one single clip, it bounces normally.

I see in the Read Me there is something like this down as a known issue, but it specifies that this only happens if there are gaps between clips. As I say, the clips are continuous, yet it fails. If any kind soul can tell me if its working normally again in 2020.5 I'd be v grateful, thanks.
I feel your pain Guy.. I did not update since 2019.12 for the same reasons. Especially with the OMF issues. That is a real problem if I get things from editors. You know the deal, most of them if I don't know them will think of it as MY problem, and wonder if I know what I am doing or something.. I just keep my mouth shut and be the yes man..LOL. g
Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.5 - Still no QT Bounce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdrummerj View Post
What about core functions, such as "Bounce to Quicktime", and importing the audio from QTs? Catalina was released quite a long time ago. If the main workflow solution is to use a third party vendor (Video Slave), why hasn't Avid at least provided a Video Slave license for Pro Tools users to use until Pro Tools can do some of the very basic things it is supposed to do?
+1

Directing us to "workarounds" like a third party audio convertor when you used to be able to drag / drop AAC's seems like a poor use of our annual fee. I mean, thanks for "Folders" but let's not go backwards on these basic features.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:04 PM

I feel for the ones that absolutely must use a Mac that is Catalina-only, but surely you can understand that PT is still supported on Mojave and High Sierra where thigs are like they used to be? That thing of 64-bit only is Apple enforced and still not 100% ready. Workarounds available for people who have no choice, but for most PT on Catalina works very well.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
MIDI event list problems cropped up back in 2019.10 with the way deletions of events are handled. It's getting worse - part of Avid's 'we don't give a damn' attitude towards MIDI.
I made the leap from 2018.4 to 2020.3, so I skipped entirely using any of the 2019 versions. When it comes to things like plug-ins, I look forward to updates for the most part. With Pro Tools, not so much because of reasons like the MIDI event list situation.

How lame they made it (unless it is a bug) so you can no longer even choose a tracks MIDI information from the MIDI event list window. I hate how all the tracks now are greyed out but one at a time. How is it an upgrade to roll back a feature that made accessing and editing musical information less time consuming and more efficient?

Makes no sense.

Though I do not mean to sound like I have a problem with new versions of Pro Tools altogether. I have no problem with it actually getting better. Just have a problem with bad updates that end up screwing things up more than improving it.

Last edited by Z-Rock; 05-25-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:48 PM

Screwing things up part is mostly Apple's fault, they keep changing frameworks and enforcing restrictions like 64-bit only -- which in the bigger picture is great, but if you have a computer that must run Catalina, things are not so flexible than older hardware that can run Mojave or High Sierra.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Screwing things up part is mostly Apple's fault, they keep changing frameworks and enforcing restrictions like 64-bit only -- which in the bigger picture is great, but if you have a computer that must run Catalina, things are not so flexible than older hardware that can run Mojave or High Sierra.
This issue with the MIDI event list has nothing to do with Apple or 64 bit only. It's all on Avid. It started before Catalina dropped. I'm NOT giving Avid a pass on this one and dropping it in Apple's cart.

QAPLA!