Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-03-2002, 03:15 PM

Default How to extract audio from .mpg video file?

Howdy people:

I've got a new project which requires me to normalize the audio on several .mpg video files. When I import them to Protools LE, the audio is absent. I'm guessing this has to do with PTLE not reading .mpg files correctly (they play fine with Quicktime player 6.0).

Is there anyone who might offer some advice in this department? I was thinking to convert them to quicktime format -using QT6.0 Pro- but this will take a long time to convert the numerous files and I'm concerned about video/audio degradation during the various conversions.

Thanks in advance.

X
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2002, 02:19 AM

Default Re: How to extract audio from .mpg video file?

Have you tried the "import audio from other movie" function on the file?
Old 10-04-2002, 05:44 AM

If you use QT Pro try to extract audio using Export/Sound to AIFF/44.1/16 function and than import this AIFF to ProTools, but I am afraid if there is any possibility to extract audio directly from the file (e.g. if you import mpg into Adobe Premiere you will see nothing in the audio track).
Anybody knows? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Some time ago I had to use audio track from mpg in the project - I turned Macintosh soundmanager from internal to Digi (I use Mbox) and recorded audio to Dat via SPDiF (mpg was played by QT) and than again from Dat to ProTools also via SPDiF. It worked ok, so I did not look for another solution.
Kuba
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2002, 06:29 AM

I have been able to do this. The trick is to "demux" (=de-multiplex) the audio and video. I found some shareware/freeware Mac tools (BBDemux I think it's called, have to check when I get home). I had tried first on a Windows machine (there are like ten times as many utilities for this), but since I do all my audiovisual stuff on the G4 and leave the PC for e-mail & surfing I preferred an all-Mac procedure

- Sean
Old 10-04-2002, 10:40 AM

Sean,

You are right! I found the program you are talking about and it works! Ok. So now I have another problem.... how to get the audio back into the mpeg video file after I've fixed it.

In otherwords... is there a way to remux?

thanks for the help...

X
Old 10-04-2002, 04:41 PM

X, I use Final Cut Pro for that, don't know of any quick 'n' dirty Mac mux utilities

- Sean
Old 10-04-2002, 04:57 PM

Sean,

Thanks for the help... hmmm... don't have Final Cut Pro...

QT doesn't seem to want to deal w/ Mpegs... it works fine for .mov but not .mpg

X
Old 10-05-2002, 12:58 AM

QuickTime Pro...Copy the audio, open the movie, hold the Option Key and Choose ADD to the Movie you want the Sound track in. Make sure the Movie cursor is at the first frame (or whatever frame the audio starts from).
$29.95 from the Apple Site.