Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 06:03 AM

Default firewire interface

Hello,

I want a small audio interface for may laptop. I want to continue using pro tools. My only options to do this are the MBox (which is USB, which i really want to avoid) or the 002, which is too much for my needs.

My question is:
Do Digidesign plan on releasing a small Firewire interface (idealy with phantom power) anytime soon?

this is really important (to me, now) because i want to buy very soon, and i don't want to waste money.
PTLE 5.1.1
--------------------
PB G4 867
256MBRAM
PT FREE
Old 12-31-2003, 07:19 AM

Default Re: firewire interface

why not get a FW410

and Live

or THIS combo

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 12-31-2003, 07:34 AM

If all you are looking for is M-box style features, it's unlikely you'll ever see it in firewire. USB1.1 is more than sufficent support for 2 i/o whcih is why many nufacturers use it, and it is widely compatible.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:33 AM

Thanks everyone

Where,

when i say mbox style features i mean maudio 410 style features - but i can't use that with Pro Tools. Also, whether this is true or not im not sure, but i've been told the A/D converters on the mbox are not very good / you can get better.

Desert dude,

the 410 looks cool, but once again i can't use it with PT. and i've also heard about stability problems under 10.3. If i was to get it i would probably end up getting logic. In the UK there is this 'big box' offer which is a striped down version. tempting, but do i want to learn a new app?
The PCMCIA card looks cool, but it's just a DJ thing

I've been advised to look into an RME pcmcia card, which apparently have good converters, then i'd have to get an interface as well, and software.

Heres what i want to do (anyone else doing anything similar?):

prerecorded tracks for live mixing and live simple keyboard parts - played to a small club crowd (think dub reggae)

prepare rhythm tracks; bass, guitar, vocals etc
use Reason for sequenced drums, and also live keyboard, routed into PTLE,
set up effects sends-delays, reverb etc

My laptop has 2X USB and 1X Firewire.

I need:
1 audio interface - firewire 410, MBox, or Yamaha 01x
1 control surface - possibly the Mackie baby HUI (is this USB powered? i don't know, do i need a MID interface for it? I'm trying to find out, also theres the JL Cooper Mini desk (USB powered)
1 controller keyboard - i have an Evolution 36 key thing
1 firewire hard drive - for all my big audio files

Possible issues:

Due to the lack of connections i would have to use a USB hub for USB (would this have to be mains powered does anyone know?), or chain firewire devices - i don't know how stable this would make things

The yamaha 01X-pricey, but with faders and effects - can't use PT with it

The little i have read aout the 410 implies that it is a bit shakey under 10.3 / with a firewrie HD connected to it

-----

Anyway, the MBox is lookinglike the way to go
PTLE 5.1.1
--------------------
PB G4 867
256MBRAM
PT FREE
Old 01-01-2004, 08:26 AM

The convert4ers in the M-box are pretty decent, a far cry better than the ones in the 001.

IF you are ging to use a USB hub it iwll need to be powered, as these devices require the full 500ma power of a high powere USB port, which only an externally powered hub ca provide.

In the future, I usggest you refrain calling the M_audio box the M-box, this is afterall the Digidesign Forum.